First oil change?

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
The oil life on my EX-T is slowly decreasing, I could use some helpful hints in prep for the upcoming oil change. My previous car I bought used and went to one of those 10 min oil change joints, I want to start of right with this beauty. I would love to do it myself, but due to apartment living that's not an option .

Any thoughts on going to the dealer vs my local mechanic ( not the 10 min guys)
for the oil change? Does the dealer do anything special?

Anyone else notice mileage decreasing as oil got older? I was getting consistently 39mpg with mostly highway driving, now it's 37mpg and my oil life is at 50%

Anything else I should look to have done while I'm in the shop? I think I'll be at 8,000-10,000 miles
Sponsored

OP
OP

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
Is there a reason to get service at the dealer vs mechanic?
And from what I can see, nothing else is recommended at the first oil change, but I'm looking for input.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
In my opinion a mechanic you can trust is just as good, or better, than a dealer.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil change/Tire Rotation: Any trusted place, and keep records. You'll be straight.
Air Filters: Even in an apartment complex, do 'em yourself. Quick and easy.
Spark plugs/tranny, etc.: With this new a car, I'd go with dealer.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Is there a reason to get service at the dealer vs mechanic?
No one-size-fits-all answer here. Depends on the job to be done, the quality of the independent you can find, or whether the dealer puts one of their "good people" on your car, or you draw "the new guy". Other things also play in like hours, loaner availability, schedule flexibility, etc.

In theory, independent mechanics have to be good at what they do in order to stay in business, whereas the dealers can be crap but survive because being a dealer steers business their way. In practice, I've never found it that simple and the dealers do have the advantage of ready access to OEM parts, service information, brand experience, and tools. OTOH, the only OEM part necessarily involved in the oil change is the crush washer.
Sponsored