First oil Change

JusJai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been reading through the posts and can't seem to find the right answer. Can I get a quick feedback please?

I have a 2017 Civic HB sports touring

I am at 5% oil and I need to do my first oil change. Whats the best recommended oil and oil filter?

My dealer wants to charge me $85 + FOR FULL SYNTHETIC...because i didn't want to do semi-blend.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Thats way too expensive... I'd rather pay $25 and do it my self.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe $50-60 for full synthetic. Also, they may not change the oil filter. Do it yourself, it's really easy. Check YouTube for videos.

Not a great vid but it gives you a clue. And use jack stands, not a jack to hold up the car!

Last edited:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
any 0w-20 in winter climates or 0w-30 will do. Along with a napa gold WIX filter

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Find another dealer. I posted that I got Honda to do my first oil change...too busy and lazy on my weekend off. 0W-20 IIRC aren't they full synthetic?

Anyways, it cost $71 CAN taxes in.

I will be using and DIY my next one. Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series with Honda oil filter. My reason? I drive aggressive so I could care less about fuel economy and focus on PROTECTION.

CIVICMAN80

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatch 2000 Trans Am WS6 2011 Honda Pilot EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Been reading through the posts and can't seem to find the right answer. Can I get a quick feedback please?

I have a 2017 Civic HB sports touring

I am at 5% oil and I need to do my first oil change. Whats the best recommended oil and oil filter?

My dealer wants to charge me $85 + FOR FULL SYNTHETIC...because i didn't want to do semi-blend.

Thanks for the feedback.
Dang I work for a dealership in Florida we change the filter and use full synthetic 0w20 up to 5 quarts for 32.00 OTD.

Gm52380

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Find a different dealer. I just had my A1 service today (Oil, filter, and tire rotation) and it was only $56.95. If all the dealers in your area are gonna gouge you like that, then yes, F that....do it yourself.

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I got my car I purchased extended warranty and the dealer said that it came with 10 oil changes free, I already got mine, now I'm wondering if they used full synthetic or blend since it's free.
It never occurred to me to ask, just like I didn't know that now you change your oil by % instead of miles/months. I was at 4k miles and 5 months and I was panicking because I didn't do the oil change sooner, when I got to the dealer it was at 40%, the guy didn't say s$%# he just took it and told me to come back later, then I saw the sticker that would normally say "next oil change xmiles or 3months" but it said nest oil change 10%. So then I learned something new that day.
It would have been nice if the dealer would explain that to me tho.

bigbadboss101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB LX CVT
I am at around 6000 km and when I checked the dipstick it seems a bit black. I will check again tomorrow and might take it in for a change. Peace of mind thing. Free OC at the dealer but I think it's free when the MM light goes on.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You cannot determine the remaining life of the oil just by looking at it. All oil turns black, doesn't mean it needs to be changed. If you really want to know, an oil analysis is your best answer. Otherwise, just change it when the MM indicates.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Did my first change with Amsoil SS 0w20 and Amsoil filter for $65, pretty much the best 0w20 you can buy.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
If our cars aren't coming with full synthetic, does switching to full synthetic extend how long before the maintenance-minder indicates the oil has to be changed?

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
If our cars aren't coming with full synthetic, does switching to full synthetic extend how long before the maintenance-minder indicates the oil has to be changed?
Seems that oil quality does not make any difference. Oil minder is tuned for the factory oil and it has no way of figuring out, that you poured full synthetic instead.

kennu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch 2017 1.5 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Find a different dealer. I just had my A1 service today (Oil, filter, and tire rotation) and it was only $56.95. If all the dealers in your area are gonna gouge you like that, then yes, F that....do it yourself.
Haha.. It`s only possible in U.S. I live in Estonia, Europe and my ex civic FD 2007 oil change was only 180€ :D It`s about 199$. Now I got my New civic Hatch and I dont want to know how much they charge from me for 1. Oil Change.
Sponsored