Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
I'll offer congrats. There are turbo and supercharged base RSXs running a K20A3.. and I don't see it being much different. It certainly is the road less traveled... and with a factory L15 available already turbocharged, you'll probably exist with minimal company.

As has been stated... you don't have the internals if a K20C1... so I'd go easy... get yourself turned ASAP and ensure you don't run lean. Port injection would be a benefit with larger injectors being possible... but you really are going to be in unchartered waters with how much power your engine can take. I would not jump to the conclusion that yours can handle what a K24Z7 or a K20Z3 or K20A2 can take from previous 2 generations of Sis/RSX type Ss.

I'd be bouncing over to the 7 gen Civic forums and look at any turbocharged examples of the K20A3 from that eras Si or the same engine on the base RSX over on the RSX forums. Even then... different engine, but I'd use what has already been learned over the last near-20 years as an idea on what might be possible... and what might break your engine.

You really are in uncharted territory in a lot of ways. The only other thing I guess I can say is good luck.
I would say the k20a3 is very different. These new kseries are completely different then the ones of the past. They shouldn’t even give these new ones a K engine code.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say the k20a3 is very different. These new kseries are completely different then the ones of the past. They shouldn’t even give these new ones a K engine code.
I do agree it's different... and while a W head has been fitted on a K20C2 whereas an A and Z head wouldn't fit... I'd still use existing history as to what a stock A3 can and can't take when turbocharged as an idea as to what a C2 can take. Most simply aren't going to cobble together a turbo kit to turbocharged a K20C2 when a L15B7 is available. I certainly would not go off thinking a K20C2 is directly comparable at all to a K20C1 and try to shoot for the moon. That's probably end in expensive disappointment.

I applaud the effort in trying it... but it's kind of a no-man's-land spot to be as of now. (shrug) I figure maybe there's something useful information-wise over there where little is going to be available here.

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do agree it's different... and while a W head has been fitted on a K20C2 whereas an A and Z head wouldn't fit... I'd still use existing history as to what a stock A3 can and can't take when turbocharged as an idea as to what a C2 can take. Most simply aren't going to cobble together a turbo kit to turbocharged a K20C2 when a L15B7 is available. I certainly would not go off thinking a K20C2 is directly comparable at all to a K20C1 and try to shoot for the moon. That's probably end in expensive disappointment.

I applaud the effort in trying it... but it's kind of a no-man's-land spot to be as of now. (shrug) I figure maybe there's something useful information-wise over there where little is going to be available here.
Well a k20a3 has much lower compression than the k20c2 and the c2 has direct injection and a single port head. Those are massive differences when it comes to boost.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well a k20a3 has much lower compression than the k20c2 and the c2 has direct injection and a single port head. Those are massive differences when it comes to boost.
The old engine does have lower compression... but it and the C2 are both port injected. That's one of the attributes a lot of folks who stuck with that engine tout as a reliability advantage over DI and the woes of carbon buildup, though the doom and gloom has been pretty quiet.

I just wanted to pass along it might be worth a look. I spent time in RSX forums and other Civic forums in my earlier cars. A3 turbo swaps happened and might be of some use to check out. I saw a lot of negative noise about the choice to turbocharge a K20C2 and figure there'll at least be something to look at... and to offer a positive comment.

My days of owning a base and type S RSX are long behind me... but at least there's some turbo A3s that have lived and died whose lessons might keep a proto-turbo C2 alive and well.

OP
OP

ThatSlowFc2

First Name
Marcanthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Very nice build! Congrats!

Very knowledgeable people here. Listen to what they have to say. However, just be conservative with your setup and try not to reach for the stars. I can't count how many times I've been in your same situation. The very first time is when I turobcharged my 1997 Subaru Outback Sport Wagon (Auto) **Purchased new in late 1996**. Heard all the same things. It was going to blow up, won't last, etc, etc. I was running 5psi of boost with a 60hp shot of dry nitrous on it. Raced and ran this way for years. It was turbo'd/nitrous back in 1999. Had some great memories with this car. From winning my first bracket racing in a class of 70+ cars, to beating a WS6 Pontiac at the Dragstrip, to having it featured on a Motorweek Subaru 22B episode (It's at 5:30 in the video). Had I listened, non of those experiences would've came to pass. I still have this car some 23yrs later. It's in my garage, just sitting. Runs as good as it ever has.

Enjoy your ride but take heed to what peeps have to say. I love it. Looking forward to your build as it progresses.
Thank you man! I really appreciate the love, I’ll for sure keep you posted man!

Zeffenn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sweet ride! Be careful boosting without a tune. BTW that turbo kit looks very professional.

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The old engine does have lower compression... but it and the C2 are both port injected. That's one of the attributes a lot of folks who stuck with that engine tout as a reliability advantage over DI and the woes of carbon buildup, though the doom and gloom has been pretty quiet.

I just wanted to pass along it might be worth a look. I spent time in RSX forums and other Civic forums in my earlier cars. A3 turbo swaps happened and might be of some use to check out. I saw a lot of negative noise about the choice to turbocharge a K20C2 and figure there'll at least be something to look at... and to offer a positive comment.

My days of owning a base and type S RSX are long behind me... but at least there's some turbo A3s that have lived and died whose lessons might keep a proto-turbo C2 alive and well.
You’re right the k20c2 is port injection my mistake

Bru87tr

Thank you man! It was done by full circuit motorsports in Kissimmee, FL
What did they recommend since the car is not tuned ? Drive carefully ? They do a safe manual tune for you ? Was a new ECU tune a bit pricey at this time to not finish the build ?

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I enjoy everyone’s comments(love and hate) in here.
In the end everyone in here is obviously curious to say the least, or else they wouldn’t even tune in.
“Tune” get it? ;)
Best of luck to you OP.
Long live K20C2!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

ThatSlowFc2

First Name
Marcanthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
What did they recommend since the car is not tuned ? Drive carefully ? They do a safe manual tune for you ? Was a new ECU tune a bit pricey at this time to not finish the build ?
Yessir he did a manual tune so it’s safe to drive until I get a tune. Drive carefully and don’t try racing yet lol

OP
OP

ThatSlowFc2

First Name
Marcanthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
I enjoy everyone’s comments(love and hate) in here.
In the end everyone in here is obviously curious to say the least, or else they wouldn’t even tune in.
“Tune” get it? ;)
Best of luck to you OP.
Long live K20C2!!!
Definitely man! New engine, new opinions! Thank you and stay tuned man

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, I thought the civic family was cool. I see so much hate here at times.

Can you guys give him a break ? Nothing like trying to kill off a new thread on the hated N/A 2.0 , everytime a 2.0 thread comes up its nothing but bashing.

The guy is new here, just opened a thread to share his very cool build and you already hate on him. WTF ? Suppose to be a family here.

Dude, dont let them kill your thread, ignore and keep sharing cause I am very interested!!!
If we want to have a thread on a boosted k20c2, then cool, but lets get some facts out there. He put a turbo on a car without even knowing what he needs to tune it. now we find out the stock ECU cant even see boost and so now he is stuck getting an $8k ECU/Tune to make it run right. Congrats, he was "first" and now he gets to be the first to find out how expensive it was to do. And I dont want to hear about "I'm doing it for the community" He had no idea what he was getting into until literally yesterday when he found out about his tuning conundrum.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.