Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol,

were you not aware of the fact that you were buying a honda civic?

what your doing here is the equivalent of buying a hamburger at mcdonalds, and then complaining because its not as good as gordon ramseys
Jerr,
Have you ever tried the chicken nuggets at Gordon Ramsey’s?
They suck!

So Boston, buyers dead horse (advance stages of remorse) Cure???
1) Find an on ramp not crowded
2) Enter it in 3rd gear, say 25mph/40 clicks
3) Put you right foot to the floor to redline
4) If you can’t remember what you love
about a Type R at that point, give it to me

Ok, so first gear is a little odd, more of an rpm thrashing while a blackbird lazily flutters ahead. This could be a great five speed if first was halfway to second gear ratio. Other than that and occasionally grinding second with clutch foot pressed to carpet and daily 4th gear lock out downshifting, (dealer first denies issues then flips to they all do that... does that make it ok? No!) but I do love it. first gear an all the other (2?) quirks. I think this gen Type R is Honda’s best car ever.

The R was noted to be a drivers car, agreed. What are the alternatives? A help me I’m locked in the trunk kidnappers car? A mechanics dream car (shop queen)? A mother-in-laws touring car (take her out with open Remis or AWE Track exhaust)?

If not best ever, the FK8 is certainly gets highest SMILES per gallon!

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... 1664D0F9-E25E-46B5-8E43-7544CE8434F0
Sponsored

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol @BostonCTR
Had the CTR never made it to North America I would be driving a 370Z right now, but yeah the next gen Z sounds very enticing with the V6 TT engine and possible manual option. I might trade my CTR also for the next gen Nismo Z model when it comes out.
Hold your breath- I had a 2015 Nismo 370z (first year of the refresh) and side by side, the CTR absolutely crushed the Nismo. I liked the Nismo but in comparison it felt like driving an absolute heavy turd.

What was worse is Nissan’s cheapness was visible everywhere. That car was mind boggling expensive for how much Nissan cheaped out on it and how it weighs a few hundred pounds more than the CTR even though it has two doors and two seats less and literally no trunk.

In the engine bay, Nissan just put stickers over holes that likely had stuff attached to them in other cars/markets. The interior was cheap feeling too and everything scratched and damaged notoriously easy. I babied that car and it was showing wear, where as I DD my CTR and after 35k km, it still looks flawless.

The clutch feels weird in that car (it’s not linear like the CTR clutch), the clutch master cylinder is located within the transmission housing and is made of plastic and is a well known failure point that Nissan apparently engineered into the car, to keep the shops busy and refused to ever correct it or fix under warranty, etc., etc.

The 400z has A LOT of catching up to do to be worth it. I won’t touch another Nissan product for a long time. I was thrilled the day I sold my Nismo.

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
We just recently added a 2013 Audi TT RS 6MT to the family. Compared to the Type R, it's super quick off the line, with crazy part throttle turbo response that kicks in even lower in the Rev range than a tuned Type R. It is also at least as capable in high speed cornering - I've taken sharp curves at 5-10 mph faster than my R (which is really saying something). And the stock exhaust note... it's nothing short of sublime. The car comes with a valved exhaust to complement the 5-cylinder engine, and in sport mode, it sounds like a mini V10 block.

All that said, driving the Audi really helped me to appreciate just how capable the Type R is by comparison. The original MSRP of my Mk2 TT RS was nearly double that of the Type R. Despite that, a stock R is roughly comparable in cornering ability, with steering feel that is far superior. In fact, I don't think that I've ever driven a car with steering feel as direct and solid as the Type R. Then there's the shifting - the TT RS shifter feels great, but the Type R's shifter feels just as smooth with much shorter, less sloppy throws. And the clutch on the R is simply the easiest to operate ever. I've struggled to get the hang of the TT RS's clutch, and have managed to stall several times in the past few weeks. By comparison, I've never once stalled in the R and find the clutch action to be effortless.

Most marked though was the difference in ease of rev matching. I'd never realized how effortless it is to rev match the Type R yourself - with it's stock lightweight single mass flywheel, a gentle blip of the throttle is enough to match any downshift. By contrast, in the TT RS (and many other manuals in it's class), the heavy dual mass flywheel necessitates many times more effort to get the revs up to the proper RPM. At times, it feels less like a blip and more like a stomp to rev match my downshifts in the Audi.

Overall, the greater the quantity of pricey manual sports cars that I drive, the more I have come to appreciate how incredible a driver's car the Type R truly is. It'll never beat the TT RS from a dig, and my Remus exhaust note will never sound like the Audi's, but the overall performance driving experience offered by the R is very tough to match.
I was looking at one of these last year, myself! The only reason I didn’t jump on it was my fear of owning a 6 year old Audi, at the time. Being off warranty, I was worried what I could potentially face, out of pocket. Even if they are reliable, the stigma of an older German car was enough to push me away. I was intending on DDing it.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
People keep clinging to that pre production Nurburgring track time which doesn't represent the Type R's in the showroom. As mentioned above in times that matter (actual production models) the Type R is slower than all of those vehicles on the VIR. It's laughable calling any Honda better built than a BMW. I would assume any owner of a Type R would know the build quality is not that great on these cars from the panel gaps, weak paint, numerous issues posted in the Issues/Repairs/Warranty section here which has plenty of ongoing threads of problems. The Swindon plant was never known for quality and Honda in general has struggled. The world has changed since the 90's as Hondas just aren't as reliable as they used to be while the Germans have improved;

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study
I would like to see a 45k bmw 3 series keep up going up and down a mountain on twisties.

Not to mention with hondata e30 tune

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love mine. Had for 3 years. Feels fast to me, but then again I'm modded running 400lbs of torgue.

Before I was modded I never felt it was slow off the line, but I've owned fwd cars and guess I know what to expect.

As for the engine note...yeah def not my favorite. An exhaust helps but still know something like an STi sounds better as far as a 4 cylinder goes

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
My only gripe is the Sound system is Poor!!!! coming from driving a G37 this sound system in this car could've been something special

spdwrksfk8

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
I have had mine for almost 2 years now and have loved every minute of it. I think you have to take the car for what it is. if you want a drag car it isn't the car you want. I use it as a daily driver with kids in car seats to spirited canyon driving to occasional track days. My only complaint is that my daily commute is to short of a drive.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I've had all sorts of cars, this is the first one I can actually just drop the back seats flat, and haul a ton of crap. I put all four rims/tires in there with room too spare. There's something nice about a well handling car, with a ton of power and being able to haul a ton of stuff. I don't have kids, but live in WI and drive it year-round.
I'm not droping the clutch at every light and don't track it (yet). Wanted something that is unique, has power, could be tuned, and could actually be functional to haul bags of dirt from Menards. I've received more compliments on this car than on most.
If I had kids, I'd still buy this car as a car. Couldn't hear them screaming with the exhaust on it anyway....
You live in WI and have NOT had your CTR on Road America yet? :) What a fun track you have in your state there. I have been fascinated with the Type R for 20 years and once it was available here, I just put down a deposit, and brought it home. I do understand the OP's point about FWD, at least with the OEM tires/wheels. It does not take that much to roll the tires over on a right hand turn, for instance. Drives me nuts. On the flip side, get a Z06 in the same situation with all the nanny's turned off, with no traffic around, and right turns will never be the same! But, after 2 years of ownership, that is the only complaint i have found with this car.

It is just stupid fast through curves, especially if you keep the turbo on boil and at apex put the hammer down in 2nd or especially 3rd gear...wow, it's an E-Ticket ride for sure.

As others have said, expectations before buying, and then actually living with the car, can sometimes diverge.

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
Hold your breath- I had a 2015 Nismo 370z (first year of the refresh) and side by side, the CTR absolutely crushed the Nismo. I liked the Nismo but in comparison it felt like driving an absolute heavy turd.

What was worse is Nissan’s cheapness was visible everywhere. That car was mind boggling expensive for how much Nissan cheaped out on it and how it weighs a few hundred pounds more than the CTR even though it has two doors and two seats less and literally no trunk.

In the engine bay, Nissan just put stickers over holes that likely had stuff attached to them in other cars/markets. The interior was cheap feeling too and everything scratched and damaged notoriously easy. I babied that car and it was showing wear, where as I DD my CTR and after 35k km, it still looks flawless.

The clutch feels weird in that car (it’s not linear like the CTR clutch), the clutch master cylinder is located within the transmission housing and is made of plastic and is a well known failure point that Nissan apparently engineered into the car, to keep the shops busy and refused to ever correct it or fix under warranty, etc., etc.

The 400z has A LOT of catching up to do to be worth it. I won’t touch another Nissan product for a long time. I was thrilled the day I sold my Nismo.
Hmm, good info. I was briefly shopping for a 370z before my CTR, but ended up going CTR for a multitude of reasons. From research online, the 370z just doesn't seem like.. a good car.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, good info. I was briefly shopping for a 370z before my CTR, but ended up going CTR for a multitude of reasons. From research online, the 370z just doesn't seem like.. a good car.

It was initially but hasn't seen a true update in something like 10-12 years.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
A couple of notes about how the OP is feeling and a lot of this has already been echoed throughout this thread.
1. When you have a vehicle that is as hyped as the CTR - it's going to lead to disappointment bc again, this isn't a stoplight monster - wasn't meant to be. So if that is something you were wanting - I would say check out the GolfR if you need something that is still practical/hatch and can carry more than 2 people. It's a balanced 'all around' performance vehicle.

2. I think a lot of times we expect it to be a ONE car to check ALL the boxes. I think as driving enthusiasts we want to have/find that 'unicorn' that will satisfy everything - give us the power at the lights like a Mustang, be as reliable as a Honda/Toyo and have that 'great driving' experience and it better offer a manual. Now days - you can't find all those things in one car - so like most things in life - it becomes a compromise.

For me - I own a 370z Nismo - I love it for what it is. Its a great 'balanced' car. It handles great, it has more than enough power - although I wish it had more torque and it looks great. Granted - its not a stoplight monster like the Mustang or Camaro and since it's NA - one can't tune it to be a rocket unless you go FI but overall - when I'm driving it - it puts a smile on my face. I have/still learned/learning that every car has its short comings; when I think of the vehicles I would love to own - the idea of getting rid of my Z for one of them - inparticular since my car is about PIF - just doesn't seem like a wise investment - bc I know whatever I get I'll get 'used' to the power, performance etc and then will be looking for that 'high' of the newest car/fastest car on the block again.

The z400 - I'm looking forward to - when you look at the Z when it first came out - it was a tough car to beat and there were few competitors to it; fast forward to the present and they are still using the same platform; and then there is the thought that if they add a manual to it - as well as being able to be tuned --> yeah, what is not to be excited about (in particular this won't be some mashed up collaboration like the Supra was/is) but a in-house motor and vehicle. Can't wait :)

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I believe if Honda would've allowed us to test drive the car on the dealer lots..Most selling the car out of disillusionment would've never brought it in the first place.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A couple of notes about how the OP is feeling and a lot of this has already been echoed throughout this thread.
1. When you have a vehicle that is as hyped as the CTR - it's going to lead to disappointment bc again, this isn't a stoplight monster - wasn't meant to be. So if that is something you were wanting - I would say check out the GolfR if you need something that is still practical/hatch and can carry more than 2 people. It's a balanced 'all around' performance vehicle.

2. I think a lot of times we expect it to be a ONE car to check ALL the boxes. I think as driving enthusiasts we want to have/find that 'unicorn' that will satisfy everything - give us the power at the lights like a Mustang, be as reliable as a Honda/Toyo and have that 'great driving' experience and it better offer a manual. Now days - you can't find all those things in one car - so like most things in life - it becomes a compromise.
I think the problem with the hype of the CTR is that everyone has to remember that different people have different tolerances, and the hype it gets is mostly by journalists who don't have the car for more than a few days at most. For many people, this could be the one car that does it all, but for others, it probably won't be.

The Golf R is a great more sedate CTR alternative - with an ECU tune those things are shockingly quick but the Golf R doesn't handle as good as the CTR. It's all about trade offs.

Also, most people who bought a CTR didn't/couldn't test drive it first, so the only thing they could do is rely on reviews/hype/word of mouth.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I think the problem with the hype of the CTR is that everyone has to remember that different people have different tolerances, and the hype it gets is mostly by journalists who don't have the car for more than a few days at most. For many people, this could be the one car that does it all, but for others, it probably won't be.

The Golf R is a great more sedate CTR alternative - with an ECU tune those things are shockingly quick but the Golf R doesn't handle as good as the CTR. It's all about trade offs.

Also, most people who bought a CTR didn't/couldn't test drive it first, so the only thing they could do is rely on reviews/hype/word of mouth.
I agree and it's not just the CTR that was hyped - I mean it seems like most enthusiast's type of cars are hyped these days. Between the CTR, the Supra, C8 Corvette and the GT350 when it first came out - dealers are adding markup, won't allow for test drives so you are correct - the consumer only has YT reviews and car mag reviews to go by before they buy the vehicle.

When I think about it - I do see myself being a Nissan fanboy - I've owned 2 Zs and 1 G35 coupe so I know when the new 400 comes out - dealers will be acting like its a Ferrari or something and will be adding markup to it as well. And for me (and I'm assuming a lot of people on this forum), having a hatchback which can perform as well as the CTR or the GolfR - it's great - I mean, you have a great performing vehicle but yet the practicality of carrying more than 1 passenger and a hatch to throw a lot of things in the back. Personally, I miss my VW MK6 bc of this - fun car for sure but after repairs hit a certain point - had to trade it in.

Right now, not to hijack the thread - i'm on the fence as to trade in my Z for a CTR. I don't think the tradeoff in performance will be worth the extra $$ and that is what prevents me from doing so; although the idea of having the practicality of a hatch and still a solid performer is intriguing to me haha. But since I don't have kids and I'm single - having the Z kinda fits both the budget and the fun factor :)
Sponsored