Enough saying the Corolla GR kills the type R

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I hope the new GRC sells like hotcakes so manufacturers keep making amazing cars like the FK8 and sti (rip).. this is only good news for every FK8 owner if the car is a success as it’ll make Honda have to one up it.
More than this, I hope dealers don't slap ridiculous ADMs on them to where they sit collecting dust in the showroom. At which point Toyota can look and say "see, there's no demand from buyers for performance hot hatches!".

I don't think anyone is saying this tbh. Totally different cars and just happy more performance cars are being made available, especially in the affordable segment. Fun car, but different animal.

I look at it as a cool potential second car, than any serious consideration to replacing the best car ever. (the Type R)
Exactly. I see the Corolla as more the daily 4 season performance car with the AWD. I still think the R will have the more special engine, smoother 6mt, and far better steering for a more connected driving experience.

I can’t wait to test drive the GR..
I'll be very surprised if dealers allow test drives on these when they come out. Like the R, they'll treat them as some showroom unicorn and not let you touch it till you buy it. I remember even VW dealers giving me a hard time checking out Golf Rs like it's some collectible Ferrari lol
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys. I still haven’t calmed down. I keep asking my wife if we can get one and it’s a very loud NO. Haha. Love this car.
That press release had me releasing ?

Seriously though: 6MT, BB turbo, AWD, selectable F/R power distribution, F/R LSD, mechanical handbrake, BBK... and more!

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That press release had me releasing ?

Seriously though: 6MT, BB turbo, AWD, selectable F/R power distribution, F/R LSD, mechanical handbrake, BBK... and more!
Also just saw a photo of the cylinder walls on Instagram. They are soooo thick. Imagine a car that has a block that can actually handle mad boost. Damn!

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im team "its a newer car with 4wd and a powertrain known to dyno over 400hp with stock internals" so yeah itll be better the civic type r gen 10 for sure and its normal its called progress.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay okay. I’m calming down now. This will be likely outside my price range. 37 base, 43 circuit and 54 with dealer markup. Way outside my price range and I would rather have a supra. So I am going to continue with my civic build. I’ll stop ranting now team. Cheers.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'll be very surprised if dealers allow test drives on these when they come out. Like the R, they'll treat them as some showroom unicorn and not let you touch it till you buy it. I remember even VW dealers giving me a hard time checking out Golf Rs like it's some collectible Ferrari lol
That’s a good point! I’ll probably have a better chance of getting to know someone who owns one and kindly asking for a drive or renting one off Turo lol

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
That’s a good point! I’ll probably have a better chance of getting to know someone who owns one and kindly asking for a drive or renting one off Turo lol
When I bought mine, the dealer had two - a white and a blue. He already had the dealer plates on the white so he just handed me the keys and told me of some nearby roads to try. I was alone, they didn't even send a babysitter along for the ride.

I had already driven my son's CTR so it wasn't an altogether new experience.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
When I bought mine, the dealer had two - a white and a blue. He already had the dealer plates on the white so he just handed me the keys and told me of some nearby roads to try. I was alone, they didn't even send a babysitter along for the ride.

I had already driven my son's CTR so it wasn't an altogether new experience.
That’s was a good call on the dealership, since you ended up buying the car from them. So you and your son have CTR’s - that’s pretty f’ng cool!

fk8ski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' CBP FK8
Country flag
Design is what, half a decade newer than the FK8?

It is very possible that it will be faster and better....and that's OK. Do you enjoy the FK8? Yes? then we have no problems
its not all about design. youre choosing to ignore the plenty of other great points he made. yes the chassis is probably better because its newer... that doesnt make it better than a type r

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Im team "its a newer car with 4wd and a powertrain known to dyno over 400hp with stock internals" so yeah itll be better the civic type r gen 10 for sure and its normal its called progress.
I thought it's closer 500 HP on stock in internals if I'm not mistaken, and I'm pretty sure the FK8 can hit 500 on stock internals too (plus FK8 weighs less). Granted I wouldn't want to run either motor @500 HP on stock internals.

Last edited:

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
its not all about design. youre choosing to ignore the plenty of other great points he made. yes the chassis is probably better because its newer... that doesnt make it better than a type r

It's a car. It's literally all about the design of the car.....

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I wonder what the GR Corolla will run on the Nurburgring.

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
I am already telling myself. Hold off on buying a car, in 3 years this baby used will be awesome. Lol i agree with others this car came out of no where perfectly replaced a dying breed aka sti, wrx, evo, rs. I am so happy that it will be a toyota which in history has made reliable cars vs say subaru. The Car Gods have blessed us. I will be a happy owner of the GR corolla in 3 years. BET. LOL;)

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Subaru Wrx STI, 2004 Infinity G35
Country flag
Also just saw a photo of the cylinder walls on Instagram. They are soooo thick. Imagine a car that has a block that can actually handle mad boost. Damn!
If I were to want to up the power to 600+ I would still have ductile closed deck sleeves installed as well as forged internals, ported head, port injection and a stand alone like Motec. Wondering how strong the transmission will be at those power levels? Which is exactly what I did on my 2018 Civic Type R minus the closed deck just Darton H22 open deck wet sleeves by Dan Benson of Benson racing.
Sponsored

Last edited: