Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ext and 2014 civic lx
Country flag
I just changed the oil on my 2014 civic lx sedan and as soon as the drain bolt was off I immediately smelled gas. I have never noticed this on this car. I also measured the oil removed and it measured about half a quart low. Any ideas if the two issues are related? The car has never burned oil before. I live in FL and car has 44000 miles.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I just changed the oil on my 2014 civic lx sedan and as soon as the drain bolt was off I immediately smelled gas. I have never noticed this on this car. I also measured the oil removed and it measured about half a quart low. Any ideas if the two issues are related? The car has never burned oil before. I live in FL and car has 44000 miles.
Half quart low ? lower than what. ?

What was the amount of oil you drained ?
Did you take the oil in the Filter into account. ?

When I drained my Si, after running the engine to warm up the oil, I drained it till it stopped dripping.
Then I put the Drain plug back in, and left the car for about an hour.
I then removed the drain plug again, and a significant amount of oil gushed out.
Maybe not 1/2 quart, but at least 1/4 quart.

OP
OP

Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Half a quart below the normal fill amount per manual of 3.9 quarts with new filter, so yes I took the filter into account. I let it drain for a about 30 minutes after warming it up. Thanks for your info

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Half a quart below the normal fill amount per manual of 3.9 quarts with new filter, so yes I took the filter into account. I let it drain for a about 30 minutes after warming it up. Thanks for your info
Do you recall where the oil level was on the Dipstick before you warmed up the oil and drained it ?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Next time get a sample of the oil and send it to Blackstone for their $28 standard oil analysis.

Looks low and smells like gas are not much to go on. Maybe a leak. Maybe it is burning off.

OP
OP

Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you recall where the oil level was on the Dipstick before you warmed up the oil and drained it ?
Unfortunately, no. Hadn't checked it in awhile.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
If you changed the oil and know what should be in the sump, it's easy to decide if it's low or not. The smell might be as simple as the car running rich. 44k isn't really a lot of miles that it should burn oil.

I'd complete the oil change making sure to measure what's installed into the car, including the filter, and anything used to top the level off-I recommend putting the amount required in the vehicle, 3.9Q, then starting the car and let it run for a while and then checking the level. You should be in the middle of the range. If it's within range you check, nothing more needed. If not, add enough (in small amounts) until it is. Add the two volumes and that's what should come out next time. Next time is when you want to start worrying whether the car is burning oil or not-obviously, you should still check the level every few tanks of gas.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just changed the oil on my 2014 civic lx sedan and as soon as the drain bolt was off I immediately smelled gas. The car has never burned oil before. I live in FL and car has 44000 miles.
1- Oil change after how many miles ?
2- Did you put 0W20 ?
3- Our family Civic LX, a 2016 and 2018, burn a 1/4 (?) as see on diptstic after 5,000 miles. They don' smell gas.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Just top it off with half a quart of gas. Then it'll be like my car.

OP
OP

Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update. Changed the oil out and it was halfway up the dipstick. Drove 40 miles and checked the oil level and it was 3/4 up the dipstick and already smelled like gas. Drove the car another 40 miles the next day and now the oil is at the top of the dipstick range. Each time I checked the level 3 minutes after shutting the car off. Any ideas?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We must check oil when we are sure all oil are in the oil pan, not everywhere in the engine. I always wait 1 hour at least.

OP
OP

Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We must check oil when we are sure all oil are in the oil pan, not everywhere in the engine. I always wait 1 hour at least.
Manual says 3 minutes. I will stick with that.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is no sense to me. From the beginning of the car history, oil should be checked with "cold " engine.
I have no issue with our 2 civic in the family, you have issue.
Try it after one hour, you'll have overflow.

Is manual say something about oil dilution ? No!