Loud clunking noise from engine when pressing gas pedal half way and above 2k RPM

sashah666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic CVT 1.8, 2017 Honda Civic CVT 1.5T, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8, 2014 SL63 AMG, 2011 BMW M6, 2013 LX570
I recently got myself a 1.5 Turbo as well and apparently its causing me a lot of stress because of this loud clunking noise whenever I depress the pedal about half way between 2k RPM and 3k), not exactly flooring it.

This usually happens every morning whenever I take the car out the first time however I do warm the car for 10 mins before taking it out the house as its cold here.

I have thought that this might be a knocking sound but I've heard knocking sounds before and this one just doesn't feel like knocking to me at all as its loud and lasts for hardly a second and the disappears as if nothing ever happened and then randomly comes back again to haunt me. I felt the noise in my accelerator as well today and heard it over the music too which was somewhere mid level.

Anyone has any pointers to this issue?

I've been using 91 RON all along. Have not the slightest clue of what in the world is going on.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
MT or CVT? If MT in high gear it could be severe knocking before the ECU retards the ignition advance enough to stop it - try a higher RON or even a different station. Years ago in the Southern USA it was not unusual for a station to mislabel and sell a lower octane as "premium".

OP
OP
sashah666

sashah666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic CVT 1.8, 2017 Honda Civic CVT 1.5T, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8, 2014 SL63 AMG, 2011 BMW M6, 2013 LX570
A loud knocking noise is not good on a new car. My old civic used to knock, which was a manual. It had almost 300,000 miles and the transmission was going. I would take it to the stealership ASAP. I'm sure they will say they don't hear anything but it's worth a try.
Thank you for the reply. I apparently too it to the dealership and they claim that this sound is normal and you'll have to switch to another fuel station however they did claim that this isn't knocking and is the sound which the turbo makes and I was like are you guys crazy, why in the world would a turbo make a clanking noise, a turbo makes a hiss not a clank. Anyways I shall visit another dealership all the while switch fuel and see what happens as the vehicle has only done 500kms.

OP
OP
sashah666

sashah666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MT or CVT? If MT in high gear it could be severe knocking before the ECU retards the ignition advance enough to stop it - try a higher RON or even a different station. Years ago in the Southern USA it was not unusual for a station to mislabel and sell a lower octane as "premium".
Hi. Its a CVT. I have no idea if this is LSPI or not however whomever I ask about LSPI they claim that that only happens in an MT and not an auto in this case a CVT. Yup i am surely changing the fuel station for sure. I'd like to point out that I am not from the states :) I'm from Pakistan hence the issue :) States for sure is not going to mislead people with a lower RON, here unfortunately its a norm. My vehicles in the states work perfectly fine on any of the random stations I visit for a fuel topup and have never ever caused any issues whatsoever.

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
Hi. Its a CVT. I have no idea if this is LSPI or not however whomever I ask about LSPI they claim that that only happens in an MT and not an auto in this case a CVT. Yup i am surely changing the fuel station for sure. I'd like to point out that I am not from the states :) I'm from Pakistan hence the issue :) States for sure is not going to mislead people with a lower RON, here unfortunately its a norm. My vehicles in the states work perfectly fine on any of the random stations I visit for a fuel topup and have never ever caused any issues whatsoever.
damn man...you married into oil or something...:)those are some serious vehicles in your profile...

OP
OP
sashah666

sashah666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
damn man...you married into oil or something...:)those are some serious vehicles in your profile...
Haha thanks buddy. Mi casa is su casa.

Its generational consistent changes in higher gear which has led us here :) But no it ain't oil, its Coal, Freight Forwarding, Construction, E-Commerce, Stocks etc. :)

OP
OP
sashah666

sashah666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi.

Can anyone please let me know if LSPI occurs in an auto transmission like the 1.5 Turbo CVT?

Could this clunking noise "TAK TAK TAK" kinda noise be the cause of LSPI?
Sponsored