18 civic ex, 3k miles and the oil smells like gasoline. HELP!?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
just got a civic in December after having an accident in my old car. I was beyond excited but I’m only at 3k and the oil life shows 70%. That said it already smells like diesel fuel. Am I doing to have issues when I call the dealer to get it looked at? I’ve heard they really don’t want you doing an early oil change the first time but I do not feel comfortable driving it as is much longer. I’m already debating trading it in
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You can change the oil any time you want. the whole break in oil is nothing

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Having your car showing 70% at 3K miles isn't something to worry about, my maintenance minder told me to change my oil just under 6K miles I believe. And also, are you sure your oil smells like fuel? I'm not being a smartass or anything but a lot of people don't realize that motor oil has it's own smell to it too and they confuse it with the smell of gasoline. Tbh the idea of trading in my car would not even cross my mind at this point, it's too premature. You could take it to the dealer and see what they say or even better you could send in your oil for analysis at somewhere like blackstone labs so you can ease your mind and actually see what's in your oil and if there is any fuel in there or not.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
just got a civic in December after having an accident in my old car. I was beyond excited but I’m only at 3k and the oil life shows 70%. That said it already smells like diesel fuel. Am I doing to have issues when I call the dealer to get it looked at? I’ve heard they really don’t want you doing an early oil change the first time but I do not feel comfortable driving it as is much longer. I’m already debating trading it in
Trade it in before too late

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having your car showing 70% at 3K miles isn't something to worry about, my maintenance minder told me to change my oil just under 6K miles I believe. And also, are you sure your oil smells like fuel? I'm not being a smartass or anything but a lot of people don't realize that motor oil has it's own smell to it too and they confuse it with the smell of gasoline. Tbh the idea of trading in my car would not even cross my mind at this point, it's too premature. You could take it to the dealer and see what they say or even better you could send in your oil for analysis at somewhere like blackstone labs so you can ease your mind and actually see what's in your oil and if there is any fuel in there or not.
It definitely smells like fuel and not oil. That thought crossed my mind but i had check the oil like 1000x on my lancer and never had a smell of diesel fuel when i checked. The 70% isn't my concern, i've been told these are supposed to be able to go quite a while before needing oil changes. My concern is I'm only at 3k so I'm not sure if the dealership will be a pain about checking it this early into the oil life. It's just my first brand new car (i usually go slightly used), so the intent was to take care of it, thus i'd rather get it checked out to be safe. i wouldn't be trading it in tomorrow, this is just more or less how long do you keep the car if you know it's going to have issues.

MEESE15T

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport
Country flag
It definitely smells like fuel and not oil. That thought crossed my mind but i had check the oil like 1000x on my lancer and never had a smell of diesel fuel when i checked. The 70% isn't my concern, i've been told these are supposed to be able to go quite a while before needing oil changes. My concern is I'm only at 3k so I'm not sure if the dealership will be a pain about checking it this early into the oil life. It's just my first brand new car (i usually go slightly used), so the intent was to take care of it, thus i'd rather get it checked out to be safe. i wouldn't be trading it in tomorrow, this is just more or less how long do you keep the car if you know it's going to have issues.
Don't panic honda has a fix for this issue.the 1.5 turbo is direct injection and are known to get some fuel in the oil.contact your dealer about service bulletin #18-137

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
deep breath! this type of engine will always have oil smelling like gas.
it is the way di engines work. the recall only messes with warmup times.
it has been discussed to death in these forums that the levels of gas in the oil(except in extreme cases) does not degrade the oil enough to damage the engine.
many users have taken oil samples in for chem testing and found the lubrication ability even with it diluted is within spec and safe.

i am over 40k on 2018 si TSP tuned, (mm oil changes at 10%)without the recall done, and have had no noticeable increase in engine wear.
the car feels as tight and strong as new.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Don't panic honda has a fix for this issue.the 1.5 turbo is direct injection and are known to get some fuel in the oil.contact your dealer about service bulletin #18-137
deep breath! this type of engine will always have oil smelling like gas.
it is the way di engines work. the recall only messes with warmup times.
it has been discussed to death in these forums that the levels of gas in the oil(except in extreme cases) does not degrade the oil enough to damage the engine.
many users have taken oil samples in for chem testing and found the lubrication ability even with it diluted is within spec and safe.

i am over 40k on 2018 si TSP tuned, (mm oil changes at 10%)without the recall done, and have had no noticeable increase in engine wear.
the car feels as tight and strong as new.
He has the 2.0 engine which isn't direct injected but rather port injected, so the 1.5 stuff doesn't apply.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I hear you. I still think having your oil analyzed by blackstone labs AND taking it into the dealer is a safe bet. That way if the dealer doesn't find anything, you'll have an oil analysis coming your way that will tell you exactly whats in your oil. Also, dont sweat taking it to the dealer, just tell them exactly what is going on and they'll look at it. They pretty much have to anyway if you explicitly tell them somethings wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hear you. I still think having your oil analyzed by blackstone labs AND taking it into the dealer is a safe bet. That way if the dealer doesn't find anything, you'll have an oil analysis coming your way that will tell you exactly whats in your oil. Also, dont sweat taking it to the dealer, just tell them exactly what is going on and they'll look at it. They pretty much have to anyway if you explicitly tell them somethings wrong.
Thanks. I set up an appointment for next tues with them. I'd rather them look for 10 min and tell me it's fine, or use one of my free oil changes to be safe versus ignore it and have issues.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
my oil smells like fuel too and it is distinctive fuel smell 1.5 T 8k miles. I haven’t done recall yet.
Sponsored