Does KTuner charge you to have it unlocked?

cboisits

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
If I buy a brand new KTuner V2 from an authorized dealer and decide that I want to sell it to someone 3 years later, do I have to send it to KTuner and pay them $300 to have it unlocked?
Sponsored

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
When you flash your ECU it locks the unit to your car. You can reflash to stock to unlock the unit for resale. Without doing this you will need to send it to KTuner and pay the unlock fee.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
If I buy a brand new KTuner V2 from an authorized dealer and decide that I want to sell it to someone 3 years later, do I have to send it to KTuner and pay them $300 to have it unlocked?
No, you can unlock it yourself at any time as long as you have access to both the device and the vehicle it was originally locked to.

jluff007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4 Runner Limited, 2017 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
What happens if you don't "unlock" the ktuner after you reflash back to stock, then trade in/sell the car? Is there any other way to unlock the ktuner without paying them for a new license?

All of this came up because Cboisits is in search of a ktuner and was looking to buy the one i have available. Unfortunately i did not unlock the ktuner properly before i traded the car in. Ktuner is telling me that as long as i'm the original owner of the unit, they will send me a new license for $200 which would unlock the unit, then i could sell it.

Has anyone else had this same experience?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
jluff007...

Technically, KTuner didn't do anything wrong here. I mean, you mistakenly left the unit locked to your ECU and sold the car.

At this point, unfortunately you have a brick. Buying a license for $200 will at least allow you to sell it and recoup some cash.

jluff007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4 Runner Limited, 2017 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I'm not blaming Ktuner for my mistake, nor am i upset with them for wanting some cash to unlock it for me.

It's still open for sale in another thread. I'd just ask to have the new buyer front the $200, then pay the remaining $300 before shipment, for the full $500 asking price.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Actually $200 is quite fair to unlock. For comparison, I found this info over at the Hondata forums:
A FlashPro can only be unlocked with the ECU it was locked to. If the ECU was destroyed in a collision we encourage you to claim the FlashPro as part of the insurance claim. If the FlashPro was purchased used and locked then you should ask the seller for a refund. In both cases we will unlock the FlashPro without the ECU for $500.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Do you have to go back to stock to unlock. I have a v1.2 with tsp tune, can I keep it tuned and unlocked. I have a v2 that I want to set up.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do you have to go back to stock to unlock. I have a v1.2 with tsp tune, can I keep it tuned and unlocked. I have a v2 that I want to set up.
You must be stock to unlock the unit. How would they stop people from flashing a tune then selling the device otherwise?

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You must be stock to unlock the unit. How would they stop people from flashing a tune then selling the device otherwise?
Hey bro do you know if you can leave your laptop plugged into a power source when uploading a tune my laptop's battery you socks and died on midtune

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey bro do you know if you can leave your laptop plugged into a power source when uploading a tune my laptop's battery you socks and died on midtune
You always want to have it plugged into a power source while flashing a tune. It's not a bad idea to put a charger on the car battery as well. The factory batteries in the Civics cause all sorts of trouble.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You always want to have it plugged into a power source while flashing a tune. It's not a bad idea to put a charger on the car battery as well. The factory batteries in the Civics cause all sorts of trouble.
Thanks brother I successfully uploaded the tune thanks everyone for all your help
Pherable race tune coming soon
Sponsored