CTR owners who store their car for winter, what do you do before?

Powfuer

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Been lurking here and found a reason to create an account and ask this question as it’s my first time storing a car for the winter. I own a ‘18 CTR and have a chance to store it at a garage(not heated as far as I’m aware). I live in canada so the winter here sucks, I don’t want to be driving it around with salt everywhere on the road.

I’m going for an oil change today as the car just hit 20% oil level yesterday or should I just hold the oil change after the winter storage? Any other advice to do before storage?

Edit: Everyone pretty much said the same thing and I don’t want to reply to every single one because it’ll just spam the thread but thank you everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
If the oil is pretty old it may not hurt to swap it out with something fresh right before, but aside from that, I put in some fuel stabilizer, fill the tank up, park it on some carpet pieces I have laying around, chock the wheels (ebrake off when its stored), and toss it on a tender and cya bye.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
If the oil is pretty old it may not hurt to swap it out with something fresh right before, but aside from that, I put in some fuel stabilizer, fill the tank up, park it on some carpet pieces I have laying around, chock the wheels (ebrake off when its stored), and toss it on a tender and cya bye.
This is what I do too, I also fill the tires to 45psi And a battery maintainer.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't really do anything special to prep for winter. It probably goes in the garage sometime in December, until around April-ish. But when we get a break from snow, and the roads are clear of snow and salt, I take the car out for a spin around the block.

It still should be totally fine even if you don't drive the car at all during the winter, but if you're paranoid, you can put the car up on jack stands and get an AGM battery (if you're going to replace your 4-year old battery anyway).

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DC5, FK8, GE8, GK5
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP

Powfuer

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I do a hard rubber floor mats (these are NOT your kids' playroom stuff, these are the heavy duty gym/weight room material), over inflate a little, top off gas tank, battery tender, and when the roads are clear, I would warm it up, drive a mile, until April.

Battery Tender (selectable):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHWQUhf7IA
Floor Mats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paj9xpIrNzQ

1666135171735.png

1666135024405.png

1666135105385.png
Hey, I’m planning on getting that battery charger but I’m not sure what type of battery mine is:dunno:, I tried searching the part number but nothing came up on what type it is. It’s a honda battery 31500-tba-h650, will that charger work for that? I’m thinking it’s a lead-acid battery but I want to make sure

First Name
Hong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DC5, FK8, GE8, GK5
Country flag
Hey, I’m planning on getting that battery charger but I’m not sure what type of battery mine is:dunno:, I tried searching the part number but nothing came up on what type it is. It’s a honda battery 31500-tba-h650, will that charger work for that? I’m thinking it’s a lead-acid battery but I want to make sure
Our FK8 Stock batteries are lead acid. Like mine, I got that particular charger to cover lead acid and lithium (for the future). I had that thing plugged in for weeks and months, no issues at all.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
I just kept driving lol

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Yeah mostly would drive it since i have all seasons on it. Just drive it differently

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Last time I stored my car I didn't have my tender. I literally unplugged the battery in November, and then in April it fired right up (after replugging).
Sponsored