fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
On New Year's Eve last year, my stock clutch failed catastrophically. I had made another post about it when it happened, suspecting a hydraulic issue due to the clutch pedal getting stuck when it happened (this was not the case as you will see). I had not really experienced any slippage, or at least if it was happening, I hadn't noticed. So it came as a shock, although with 88k miles and 40 k of them tuned I shouldn't have been surprised. It was serendipitous that just as my car broke, orders opened for the RV6 flywheel, so I could run a CTR clutch and pressure plate. I decided to go this route, and after 2.5 months, I finally have my car back.

I think part of it may be that I was driving a 16 yo Honda van during the waiting period, but everything about the Si feels better than I remember. Prior to the accident I had been complaining of a rattling noise at low speeds, on turns and bumps which I suspected was a CV joint (also wrong!!). It turns out that my clutch had been shedding fabric like fibers for a while, from the pressure plate side of the friction material. When opened, it was found that the entire friction material had separated from the rivets of the clutch disc. There were long strands and fibers everywhere where a chunk had completely disintegrated, but surprisingly most of the friction material could be lifted in one piece like a brake pad and had separated from the metal rivets. My mechanic suspects that some of that material got into the release bearing and caused the final failure where my clutch got stuck partly released and finally was destroyed from this event.

I am still breaking in the new clutch, but initial impressions are very positive. Clutch pedal is slightly heavier than stock. There is significantly more feel through the pedal, specifically, when rev matching, you can feel the vibration of the engine clearly through your left foot. Revs drop immediately and smoothly when pressing in the clutch. Engagement seems similar to before-starts in the lower mid portion of the clutch travel, but the engagement itself is more positive and there is a more distinct and immediate sense when the clutch is fully engaged. I am still getting used to it. The lighter flywheel forces me to be really sure of my how much gas to give when rev matching; sometimes I'll give enough gas but not get in the next gear soon enough so the revs have dropped already and I have to re blip the throttle. Essentially, though it allows for quicker smoother more natural timed shifts, which is wonderful. At low engine speed, the car is actually less jerky than before, I am much happier not having that horrible dual mass flywheel. The biggest takeaway I have right now is that the car feels incredible. Everything about the drivetrain feels like a brand new car. The engine is quicker to rev, is smooth as silk, and sounds different too, (at least I think it does, but like I mentioned it's been 2.5 months of a honda V6 since I drove it). I now have a Type R shifter, pressure plate, and clutch, so I imagine this is pretty much what a type R feels like to shift, and it's awesome. I also was pleasantly surprised that the front end/steering feels a lot tighter, I think though this is due to the fact that everything in the subframe was re-tightened, and I suspect the previous clutch condition was messing with the front end feel also. In any case, I am very happy and hoping I will make it to 200k on this unit. Thank you @RV6 !!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch Update + RV6 Flywheel/CTR clutch Review IMG_20220315_102553
Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch Update + RV6 Flywheel/CTR clutch Review IMG_20220315_102630

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Glad you're up and running. As much as I love my Odyssey, I couldn't imagine driving it for 2.5 months straight! first world issues... :p

Do you notice any chatter when launching from a stop or in reverse? I doubt it but just checking.

OP
OP
fabrizzio71

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad you're up and running. As much as I love my Odyssey, I couldn't imagine driving it for 2.5 months straight! first world issues... :p

Do you notice any chatter when launching from a stop or in reverse? I doubt it but just checking.
No, no chatter that I can tell. I have to admit I am still paranoid about clutch wear, it's sort of built into my driving experience with this car. I think the engagement point is slightly higher than before and sometimes when reversing I have to pull my foot out a bit more than I'm used to. I can start feeling the clutch engage very slightly right off the floor, but the final engagement seems higher, but this may also be that I can actually feel what is going on with my foot as opposed to the negligible feel stock.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Did you use the alignment pin when installed the subframe? I've got almost everything I need (I think) to do my swap when the flywheel arrives, except an overhead engine brace and that damned subframe alignment pin.

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you use the alignment pin when installed the subframe? I've got almost everything I need (I think) to do my swap when the flywheel arrives, except an overhead engine brace and that damned subframe alignment pin.
Subframe alignment pin? I highly recommend the overhead engine brace.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@fabrizzio71 did you upgrade the disc and pressure plate as well? Or just the flywheel? Looking into upgrading my clutch as well but may just do everything at once.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@fabrizzio71 did you upgrade the disc and pressure plate as well? Or just the flywheel? Looking into upgrading my clutch as well but may just do everything at once.
The RV6 flywheel is incompatible with the OE clutch disk and pressure plate. You must install a CTR clutch disk + pressure plate to use with their flywheel. You can get this through RV6 as a whole kit.

RV6 designed this flywheel to compete with the NAPerformance (Eman) CTR retrofit clutch. The diameter is larger than the OE 1.5 clutches.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The RV6 flywheel is incompatible with the OE clutch disk and pressure plate. You must install a CTR clutch disk + pressure plate to use with their flywheel. You can get this through RV6 as a whole kit.
Good to know. I was looking at getting those parts separately. This just confirms it.

OP
OP
fabrizzio71

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My mechanic used an overhead engine brace. That being said, he did it without fully removing the subframe, he only loosened it and ending up taking a lot of things off up top, some water/coolant passages etc.
Yes, must install type R clutch and pressure plate. I used OE parts but they are hard to find. Best bet is probably to get the exedy options on RV6 website.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My mechanic used an overhead engine brace. That being said, he did it without fully removing the subframe, he only loosened it and ending up taking a lot of things off up top, some water/coolant passages etc.

Yes, must install type R clutch and pressure plate. I used OE parts but they are hard to find. Best bet is probably to get the exedy options on RV6 website.
I think hondapartsnow.com has parts in stock, which is where I was looking at getting the disc and plate from. Will have to confirm first, but they are pretty cheap.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2020-honda-civic--5dr_type_r-ka_6mt/engine/clutch.html

OP
OP
fabrizzio71

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think hondapartsnow.com has parts in stock, which is where I was looking at getting the disc and plate from. Will have to confirm first, but they are pretty cheap.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2020-honda-civic--5dr_type_r-ka_6mt/engine/clutch.html
Email them and ask first, as they will allow you to put in cart and purchase and they may be on backorder after which they will cancel your order. This happened to me for this exact part on one of the honda parts websites.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Email them and ask first, as they will allow you to put in cart and purchase and they may be on backorder after which they will cancel your order. This happened to me for this exact part on one of the honda parts websites.
Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Subframe alignment pin? I highly recommend the overhead engine brace.
Yes. I'm definitely picking up the overhead gantry. If I can get the alignment pin this weekend, I'll pick one of those up as well.

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We sell the stage 0 pressure plate and friction disc (OE FK8) for $365 shipped. Which includes the proper alignment tool, pressure plate bolts and spline lube. We have these in stock ready to ship.

The pressure plate, friction disc and pressure plate bolts alone are ~$415 without shipping if you buy from a Honda dealer.

We highly recommend getting the clutch from us to ensure you have all the proper parts and tools for the install.
Sponsored