Serenity

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm running a 2020 Civic Si with 9.5k miles on it. I've had it tuned since 4k running KTuner 23.5 about 60% of the time. So needless to say, you all were right and my clutch lasted just over a month. I m looking into replacing it and have seen mixed reviews about all different kits. Im leaning currently more towards the Competition Clutch kit stage 2 with ultra light flywheel. Has anyone installed this kit yet and has a review about it. I will also be doing this install myself so if anyone has some heads up on things that were unexpected I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks Guys.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Welcome to the clutch club! I replaced mine before it failed but I researched it a lot beforehand.

CTR retro-fit is the best option on the market and currently on sale. Also the most expensive option at $1600.

The next best options would be either ACT or Competition Clutch. For full disclosure, I detailed my experience with Competition and getting a "bad" kit my first time around. I believe the issue has since been fixed. All I can review is what ultimately went into my car, and I think it's a fantastic kit. I think the ultralight flywheel is overkill for this application, the lightweight 22lb is still ridiculously light compared to the OE dual mass flywheel. I think if it's too light you can trigger a CEL or mess with the misfire detection system.

I think Competition is rated for a bit more torque than ACT, but also has a heavier pedal feel. After driving around for a couple weeks I barely notice it anymore, but if you want the most OEM feel it would probably rank CTR Retro > ACT > Competition.

@Unity Performance has been running ACT on their car for a while now and I've seen nothing negative from them on it. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the 3 kits. If you experience high RPM lockouts you will want to look into an upgraded master cylinder, from the same guy who does the CTR clutch kit.

Hope this helps.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Welcome to the clutch club! I replaced mine before it failed but I researched it a lot beforehand.

CTR retro-fit is the best option on the market and currently on sale. Also the most expensive option at $1600.

The next best options would be either ACT or Competition Clutch. For full disclosure, I detailed my experience with Competition and getting a "bad" kit my first time around. I believe the issue has since been fixed. All I can review is what ultimately went into my car, and I think it's a fantastic kit. I think the ultralight flywheel is overkill for this application, the lightweight 22lb is still ridiculously light compared to the OE dual mass flywheel. I think if it's too light you can trigger a CEL or mess with the misfire detection system.

I think Competition is rated for a bit more torque than ACT, but also has a heavier pedal feel. After driving around for a couple weeks I barely notice it anymore, but if you want the most OEM feel it would probably rank CTR Retro > ACT > Competition.

@Unity Performance has been running ACT on their car for a while now and I've seen nothing negative from them on it. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the 3 kits. If you experience high RPM lockouts you will want to look into an upgraded master cylinder, from the same guy who does the CTR clutch kit.

Hope this helps.
Yessir, the ACT has been a joy! Good news is that ACT's Single Mass 17lbs flywheel compared to 32.5lbs factory did not trigger a CEL. Definitely have to be quick to catch the next gear otherwise there's a slight jerk as the RPM's do drop pretty rapidly. The upgraded CMC, PRL SS Line, and CDV Delete should be performed on any upgraded clutch job for best results.

Let's definitely keep in touch as you rack on more kms on the Comp Stage 2. I'm sure Andrew filled you in as to why I chose not to proceed with Comp, but I'm glad to hear that you are running it with good results :)

OP
OP

Serenity

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks Guys for your input its greatly appreciated. I wish I would of bought before it became a need as I was going to pull the trigger on the ACT but it says its a 4-6 week wait to fill the order. I went with the stage 2 Comp Clutch and the ultra Light weight per the above review. Ill keep you guys posted on my first impression once I get it installed.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks Guys for your input its greatly appreciated. I wish I would of bought before it became a need as I was going to pull the trigger on the ACT but it says its a 4-6 week wait to fill the order. I went with the stage 2 Comp Clutch and the ultra Light weight per the above review. Ill keep you guys posted on my first impression once I get it installed.
So how did it go?

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha, you beat me to it, I was going to ask the same thing Friday! It has to be well broken in by now, lets see some results heheh

Bozo8823

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Well. How did it go? Lol looking at the act clutch and wondering how it’s holding up.

JonnySuicide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm running a 2020 Civic Si with 9.5k miles on it. I've had it tuned since 4k running KTuner 23.5 about 60% of the time. So needless to say, you all were right and my clutch lasted just over a month. I m looking into replacing it and have seen mixed reviews about all different kits. Im leaning currently more towards the Competition Clutch kit stage 2 with ultra light flywheel. Has anyone installed this kit yet and has a review about it. I will also be doing this install myself so if anyone has some heads up on things that were unexpected I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks Guys.
I have and am happy with it. It is stiffer than stock, some of that goes away with break in but still probably 30% more effort. My stock master cylinder couldn't handle after market clutches so I went with the Wilwood cmc also so my set up is pretty firm. I was worried about the flywheel and rev drop to fast but I leave rev hang on and have no issues. I'm full bolt ons with RV6 turbo.

Bozo8823

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I have and am happy with it. It is stiffer than stock, some of that goes away with break in but still probably 30% more effort. My stock master cylinder couldn't handle after market clutches so I went with the Wilwood cmc also so my set up is pretty firm. I was worried about the flywheel and rev drop to fast but I leave rev hang on and have no issues. I'm full bolt ons with RV6 turbo.
How do you like the wilwood cmc?

JonnySuicide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
How do you like the wilwood cmc?
It's growing on me. At 1st it was super stiff but it breaks in and is livable, still stiffer than factory but with the factory cmc my pedal was always changing engagement point. Now it's set and has consistency. I think if I had to do again I'd try the reworked factory style cmc but can't recall the company name
Sponsored