Clutch Slave Cylinder/Fork Travel

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anyone measured the travel of the clutch fork at the slave cylinder on the FK8? Do we know if there is a reference value or range specified by Honda?

I'd be very interested to see some measurements from people who have not had any shifting problems (e.g. gear grinds, lockouts, notchiness) and still have their factory clutch adjustments.

See the video below for how it's done. It's basically measuring the distance the clutch fork moves from when the clutch is fully up to when it's fully down to the floor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zeppelin2

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've only seen the service manual talk about adjustments at the master cylinder.

The general consensus to fix gear grinds is to increase the master cylinder rod length to reduce freeplay and/or increase pedal travel. Both of these affect fork movement.

Too much freeplay or not enough pedal travel could result in the clutch continuing to drag, meaning more grinds. Overdoing the adjustment could result in overstroking the clutch, which could then cause other problems.

There has to be a range where the clutch is fully disengaged and not overstroked. It would be very helpful to know that range.

Our cars come out of the factory adjusted differently. As result, some shift great, others don't. Unfortunately, mine didn't.

If we can put together some measurements of the "good shifting" examples that haven't changed the factory settings, this could provide another data point for clutch adjustments to help ensure we're within the "sweet spot" of disengagement.

This would also apply to those with modified master/slave cylinders that push more fluid though the system to make sure they aren't overstroking the clutch.

Side note: Does my thought process check out? Why is nobody talking about fork travel?
Sponsored