Civic X Touring vs 9th gen Si Drag Strip Track Battle (by Hondata)

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hondata has shared this video with us showing the results of a 1/8 mile drag strip track battle between a Civic X and a 9th gen Si.

In Sport mode, the Civic X touring ran a 10.037 @ 71.19 mph compared to the 9th gen Si's 10.266 @ 69.93 mph.

In Economy mode, the Civic X still outran the 9th gen Si -- 10.224 @ 70mph vs 10.292 @ 69mph.

Dyno results on the Touring model were 177hp / 190 lb-ft. Screenshots and a discussion will be posted by Hondata in our engine section shortly.

Some notes from Hondata:
Run notes
- The EX was pulling away from the Si at all times.
- We were running into a headwind
- We tested against another Si with similar results

We'll do a full 1/4 when time and conditions permit.

CVTs are very difficult to dyno. We will dyno and posting MT turbo results when available.
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow... Stock for stock the Si lost. But the Civic ExT is maxed out. The Si can be heavily modded and Turbo up to 300+ HP. Impressive though. Maybe the Si will never return since this EXT fills its place.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seeing that I am highly hopeful that the 10th Gen SI comes back Strong. If the speculations are true we should see a 230HP turbo charged engine that should be fairly quicker than the Civic X touring. I do like the touring though :).

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They keep calling it an EX when it's clearly a touring. Regardless, this bodes well for the new civic and even better for the 10th gen SI

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very interesting. Honda has obviously pulled a VW and underrated these 1.5T engines (for insurance purposes). Honda really pulled out all the stops for the new civic making it as fast(er) than the last gen Si, which means the 1.5T will almost hold a candle to competition like the VW GTI. That really says something for honda's engineering and still being able to get stellar fuel economy from this engine transmission pairing.

It also makes me more than confident that a turbo Si with 230 horses will be a confident step up from the 9th gen Si and hopefully dethrone some of the competition that the Si has fallen behind in recent years.

Now honda just has to nail the handling performance of the Si. The potential for great handling exists in the base civics but require better tires than what they come standard with for sure.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why did they test in eco mode and not in just regular drive???

Any 10th gen owner knows that drive is where the car is the fastest. Sport mode simulates shifting, making it slower. And Eco mode? Seriously?

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was fun, wonder how a full 1/4 mile would play out?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Any 10th gen owner knows that drive is where the car is the fastest. Sport mode simulates shifting, making it slower. And Eco mode? Seriously?
I saw an episode of Top Gear where they had tested a few cars in their regular drive modes and Econ modes and quite a few times the cars were actually faster in Econ. Something about going full throttle paired with the Econ shift mapping. While it does slow throttle response, and doesn't feel as quick, sometimes econ mode can be the faster (weird...)

But i agree, i wouldve liked to see it in normal drive. I basically NEVER drive in sport or econ mode with my 9th gen. Sport sucks down the gas and isn't any faster, and econ mode barely saves me an average of 1mpg.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was fun, wonder how a full 1/4 mile would play out?
Same, because towards the end it looks like the Si would have caught up to the Touring given a bit more distance, but i suppose in real world driving shorter burst of 0-60 type speed are more relevant. I wonder how they'd compare in a road course that puts handling performance into play.

A road course would be more geared for Sport mode on these civics. The shorter bursts of speed and being on and off the gas through various turns, sport mode would keep the revs up and offer quicker response. But in a straight line, regular drive mode does best.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Something is seriously wrong with that Si. Almost every stock 9th gen Si that I've seen will run around 9.3-9.5 in the 1/8th, except for the one you guys have. 10.2x in the 1/8th is right around what a stock Toyota Corolla runs.

Here's the slip for a bone stock 9th gen for comparison:
http://www.dragtimes.com/2012-Honda-Civic-Specs-26311.html

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something is seriously wrong with that Si. Almost every stock 9th gen Si that I've seen will run around 9.3-9.5 in the 1/8th, except for the one you guys have. 10.2x in the 1/8th is right around what a stock Toyota Corolla runs.
You might be right about the Si(doubt it), but there is absolutely no way the corolla is as fast as the new civic.

Let me guess, you own a 9th gen? Lol

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Do insurance companies go by torque? If not, why derate the torque? Hondata only got 3 more HP, but 28 more ft-lb's than the rated specs.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But the Civic ExT is maxed out.
Our EX Turbo is stock - not maxed out. It has plenty of tuning and bolt on potential.

Run notes
- The EX was pulling away from the Si at all times.
- We were running into a headwind
- We tested against another Si with similar results

We'll do a full 1/4 when time and conditions permit.

CVTs are very difficult to dyno. We will dyno and posting MT turbo results when available.

Reactions: tcl

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Impressive results for the 1.5L turbo. I'm pleasantly surprised at the results with ECO mode activated. I figured ECO mode would have resulted in a more dramatic decrease in performance.

I think ECO mode was included in the analysis to give a so-called high output (Sport mode) versus low output (ECO mode) comparison. It would have been nice to see a test run in standard Drive.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Next time you guys do it, try it in drive mode! I bet it's even faster!
Sponsored