Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The tests we ran were real world. At some point we will get both vehicles to the drag strip, but on the streets, the EX Turbo is the faster car - and we own both a 10th Gen EX and 9th Gen Si.

We first tried a roll on test with the Si in 6th gear. No contest. Then we tried the Si in 5th. Still no contest. 4th was not going to cut it, so we ran the next test in third; the lowest gear we could use for the speed we were cruising at. This is where the Si was not left too far behind in the side mirror, and the clip we used for the video, showing the Si at its best.

We then had an impromptu standing start test with the EX in Eco mode. The Si spun its wheels off the line getting the jump. By halfway through third gear the EX had caught up and passed the Si.

The EX could do with a limited slip differential. It tends to spin the inside wheel while cornering with moderate boost.

Take this away from the tests. The EX turbo is a great car as it comes from the factory with great tuning potential. My hat goes off to Honda. They have made a car with fantastic power and better economy than any Honda car we have driven.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Great video. Glad to see that the EX turbo is no slouch in terms of acceleration. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So looks like the Si pulls ahead a first, most likely due to the EX-T having to spool up the turbo and some power lag from the CVT initially. But once that turbo is up and running and the EX-T gets into it's ideal rev range it pulls ahead pretty hard from the Si.

Very nice.

There's going to be alot of upset 8th and 9th gen Si owners. Everyone on this forum seems to be a bit more mature than some other forums i've been on in the past. The Si owners on those forums were all elitist jerks. "Shoulda bought an Si" every other post when someone wanted to mod a regular civic. ugh. Good to know a normal civic can put them in their place (at least in a straight line, not sure how handling limits compare)

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hahaha, Let me put a Turbo on my 2.4 2013 Si and put a 2016 TypeR in its place. :D Its a 1.5T vs a non Turbo 2.4L.. Just wait in 5 yrs when Turbos are widely accepted. 12-15 Si will be one of the fastest cars on the road with a 2.4L base to start with.

Also that is not a 0-60 test. The Si would win every time in 0-60. Basicly the 1.5T got the Si on a 60mph+ roll. Pffff Whatever. Thats a Cvt advantage vs stick sitting at the bottom of 4th at 60mph.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I guess they're working on an ECU mod?

I figured the 2016 would pull ahead first even with the turbo because it's a small, fast spooling turbo, and because of the 2016's lighter weight(?), but then the Si would later pull ahead. Just think if they'd gone with a slightly larger turbo engine (even just 1.6) for the 2016.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I figured the 2016 would pull ahead first even with the turbo because it's a small, fast spooling turbo, and because of the 2016's lighter weight(?), but then the Si would later pull ahead. Just think if they'd gone with a slightly larger turbo engine (even just 1.6) for the 2016.
Could have to do with the different gearing between the cars too. Often has an effect on initial accelerations.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
I guess they're working on an ECU mod?

Could have to do with the different gearing between the cars too. Often has an effect on initial accelerations.
Lag is from the Continuously Variable Transmission coupled with my guess a slight bit of turbo lag

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Hahaha, Let me put a Turbo on my 2.4 2013 Si and put a 2016 TypeR in its place. :D Its a 1.5T vs a non Turbo 2.4L.. Just wait in 5 yrs when Turbos are widely accepted. 12-15 Si will be one of the fastest cars on the road with a 2.4L base to start with.

Also that is not a 0-60 test. The Si would win every time in 0-60. Basicly the 1.5T got the Si on a 60mph+ roll. Pffff Whatever. Thats a Cvt advantage vs stick sitting at the bottom of 4th at 60mph.
A simple ported head swap with a header and proper intake manifold and tune would improve the 9th ten tremendously.

However, lets not dog the new car, it seems to perform quite well. I expect Hondata to do wonders with their tune and higher octane.

cae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grom
Wow. This illustrates a fantastic showing from the 1.5T and how far behind the competition Si currently is.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
meh, I don't buy this. I'm stubborn in that I would like to see the driver's shifting and the tac in the Si to ensure he is driving it right. I think it's cool that the 10th gen EX has comparable power, but I don't buy that it pulls away, at least to the extent that it did, without seeing how the driver in the 9th gen Si was handling the clutch in relation to the tac, shift speed, etc,
Sponsored