2016 Civic vs 9th gen Civic Si Acceleration Tests by Hondata

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, i have done a decent amount of research, and i don't think could go wrong if i go ahead with the ST. ...
I looked at the Focus ST when the current generation of it first came out and when I was open to a manual transmission car. The main thing that kept me away from it at that time was its very large turning circle. It was worse than some full size SUVs. They may have done something about it since then.
Sponsored

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus ST . 2015 Honda CRV EX
I looked at the Focus ST when the current generation of it first came out and when I was open to a manual transmission car. The main thing that kept me away from it at that time was its very large turning circle. It was worse than some full size SUVs. They may have done something about it since then.
yeah, im not sure how much they've adressed it. but i know that the turning radius has been pretty redicuilous. like the same as a Chevy silverado. ... i don't think that would come in to play very often. but definitely when manuvering in a tight parking lot or making a U turn, it could play a role.

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
I agree, i have done a decent amount of research, and i don't think could go wrong if i go ahead with the ST. ... for me i decided to look back at ford products because i have a ford fusion lease that i still have 7 months left and some nics and bruises that they are willing to forgive since i would be staying with ford. ... so that may be the deciding factor. ... but there is part of me that still wants go with the EX-T (or L) .. i like the civic and who knows maybe i would get tired of shifting after a year or 2 , and the fuel savings is definitely nice. .... So i haven't given up on the Civic just yet.. trying to be patient as i close out this lease. but the mileage is starting to be a factor.

unfortunately i think your right. i'm guessing it has to do with production effieciency
You are comparing a 27k car to a 22k car. In my opinion the focus st is a huge disappointment. Its slated to have 250hp but its so damn heavy it only traps 98-100mph in the quarter.The srt4, cobalt ss 08-10 turbo both older platforms are faster than 2016 focus st's. The current vw gti is faster and seems to always be chosen in comparison tests against the focus st. Its all about preference. I chose the civic ex-t because im tired of driving stick everyday, the price was excellent and this car is NOT slow by any means. I do like how ford has in house upgrades you can do so the warranty isnt voided but just in my opinion the focus st should be faster stock. You wont find one cheaper than 27k in dealer lots unless its a leftover 2015. Good luck to you tho buddy on whatever u choose to do

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are comparing a 27k car to a 22k car. In my opinion the focus st is a huge disappointment. Its slated to have 250hp but its so damn heavy it only traps 98-100mph in the quarter.The srt4, cobalt ss 08-10 turbo both older platforms are faster than 2016 focus st's. The current vw gti is faster and seems to always be chosen in comparison tests against the focus st. Its all about preference. I chose the civic ex-t because im tired of driving stick everyday, the price was excellent and this car is NOT slow by any means. I do like how ford has in house upgrades you can do so the warranty isnt voided but just in my opinion the focus st should be faster stock. You wont find one cheaper than 27k in dealer lots unless its a leftover 2015. Good luck to you tho buddy on whatever u choose to do
thanks tcaudo. ... i don't want to take this thread too far off track, so i will keep it short. I get x pricing (employee ish type pricing) through the company i work for. plus $3500 worth of rebates most of that because of 2015. Its an ST1, so not all the extras. so the price is actually comparible to the honda civic. ... i went and test drove the civic again today, but without the incentives i am not able to get out of my lease early without a big down payment. So i am really at take this great deal on the ST and be happy with a sporty powerful little hatchback, or come up with a few grand out of pocket (not really an option at the moment), or wait 7 months until lease up (by that time i will probably be over mileage by 6k or so @.15 a mile). ... I do feel that the Civic (turbo version) will be the best of both worlds, sportiness and comfort. and a black one would look nice in the driveway next to my girlfriends Black 15 crv ex. .... but we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the info.

edit* also, a main factor is they are waiving all the scratches/scuffs and wheel rashes/ and arent going to prorate the mileage being over... basically as a incentive to stay with ford. ... they are crafty these car companies. lol

Last edited:

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
yeah, im not sure how much they've adressed it. but i know that the turning radius has been pretty redicuilous. like the same as a Chevy silverado. ... i don't think that would come in to play very often. but definitely when manuvering in a tight parking lot or making a U turn, it could play a role.
They haven't addressed it and it comes into play EVERY time you park or a U-turn, even on a 5-lane road (I do live in San Diego, admittedly). The proximity beeping almost makes up for it because once you have confidence in it, you can move the car around really quickly without worrying about hitting anything stationary you might be missing eyeball-wise.

It makes up for it by handling like a BMW-3 series, which the Touring most assuredly does not. Never driven an SI, so I couldn't compare there.

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They haven't addressed it and it comes into play EVERY time you park or a U-turn, even on a 5-lane road (I do live in San Diego, admittedly). The proximity beeping almost makes up for it because once you have confidence in it, you can move the car around really quickly without worrying about hitting anything stationary you might be missing eyeball-wise.

It makes up for it by handling like a BMW-3 series, which the Touring most assuredly does not. Never driven an SI, so I couldn't compare there.
i hear ya... so did you have an ST before your civic?

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring

i hear ya... so did you have an ST before your civic?
2012 Focus Titanium with nearly the same suspension they put in the 2013 ST (IIRC they offered this as an option and no longer do because the ST wasn't around yet). I also put a few hundred miles on a friend's 2013 ST. It's a really great car. Turbo hits really hard, super fun, and I think a pretty good daily driver. My bud drives it to work every day in heavy sometimes stop-and-go traffic and still loves it. A few advantages the Civic has over it to consider, though:
  1. Way less road noise, partially because of a better interior, partially because of the HUGE low-profile/high-pressure tires on the ST.
  2. You'll be lucky if tires on the ST last you 20,000 miles if you're nice to it. My Titanium tires lasted 15,000 miles. Maybe they've changed to all-season, but I doubt it. And they are super expensive to replace. I forget how much, but you will cry. I replaced mine with cheaper all-weather and still very expensive.
  3. You will scratch the wheels on the ST.
  4. The back seats in the ST are a joke. 60 mile road trip for 4 adults? Sure. 180 miles? I wouldn't do it.
  5. Sync is kinda crappy, but it works well enough, I guess. And hey, at least it has a f'ing volume knob.
  6. The Honda is WAY more refined. Like, kind of to a shocking degree, even for someone who doesn't care much about that stuff. That said, there's some stuff in the Ford that works better or is more ergonomic.
  7. This they might have fixed, but on my car and my friend's, the driver-side window is placed kind of awkwardly (high and forward), so if leaning your elbow out your open window during the summer is your thing, check it out during a test-drive.
PS--I got rid of the Titanium because my transmission was garbage and Ford was nice enough to lemon-law it for me with no fuss.

edit--oh! Non-obvious advantage of the ST over the Civic--The mirrors in the ST are fantastic. No blind spot, no stupid camera that's only on one side of the car. Going back to head-craning every time I change lanes has been painful.

Last edited:

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus Titanium with nearly the same suspension they put in the 2013 ST (IIRC they offered this as an option and no longer do because the ST wasn't around yet). I also put a few hundred miles on a friend's 2013 ST. It's a really great car. Turbo hits really hard, super fun, and I think a pretty good daily driver. My bud drives it to work every day in heavy sometimes stop-and-go traffic and still loves it. A few advantages the Civic has over it to consider, though:
  1. Way less road noise, partially because of a better interior, partially because of the HUGE low-profile/high-pressure tires on the ST.
  2. You'll be lucky if tires on the ST last you 20,000 miles if you're nice to it. My Titanium tires lasted 15,000 miles. Maybe they've changed to all-season, but I doubt it. And they are super expensive to replace. I forget how much, but you will cry. I replaced mine with cheaper all-weather and still very expensive.
  4. The back seats in the ST are a joke. 60 mile road trip for 4 adults? Sure. 180 miles? I wouldn't do it.
  5. Sync is kinda crappy, but it works well enough, I guess. And hey, at least it has a f'ing volume knob.
  6. The Honda is WAY more refined. Like, kind of to a shocking degree, even for someone who doesn't care much about that stuff. That said, there's some stuff in the Ford that works better or is more ergonomic.
  7. This they might have fixed, but on my car and my friend's, the driver-side window is placed kind of awkwardly (high and forward), so if leaning your elbow out your open window during the summer is your thing, check it out during a test-drive.
PS--I got rid of the Titanium because my transmission was garbage and Ford was nice enough to lemon-law it for me with no fuss.

edit--oh! Non-obvious advantage of the ST over the Civic--The mirrors in the ST are fantastic. No blind spot, no stupid camera that's only on one side of the car. Going back to head-craning every time I change lanes has been painful.
right on.

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this info together. its good to know about someones real life experience with these cars. ... Yeah thats too bad that fords dual clutch auto transmission was a flop. i definitely wouldn't go with their auto transmission , though the sales man told me that ford wised up and improved (or simplified) the auto transmission for 15 and 16. . During my test drives with the Civic, i definitely noticed a more comfortable ride. it definitely is the best of both worlds. maybe i will get tired of shifting the ST after a couple years and come back to the civic. ... My ST will come with the summer tires. (i live on the central coast of california so no real weather issues.) but i plan on putting more of an all season tire after the first ones go bad. something that will give a little better commuter ride. ... I don't plan on hauling adults in the back very often. the GF has a 15 CRV for that kind of stuff. I mostly will be alone in it. but sometimes my 4yr boy will be in the back with his booster. seems to work decent. doesn't feel drastically different than my fusion to be honest.

Well thanks again for all this info. either way i plan to stay up with this forum and see whats new with our beloved civic. .. I was telling the salesman at honda today that he should join this site, it will help him have a much better understanding for the car.

cheers.

Ryan

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
thanks tcaudo. ... i don't want to take this thread too far off track, so i will keep it short. I get x pricing (employee ish type pricing) through the company i work for. plus $3500 worth of rebates most of that because of 2015. Its an ST1, so not all the extras. so the price is actually comparible to the honda civic. ... i went and test drove the civic again today, but without the incentives i am not able to get out of my lease early without a big down payment. So i am really at take this great deal on the ST and be happy with a sporty powerful little hatchback, or come up with a few grand out of pocket (not really an option at the moment), or wait 7 months until lease up (by that time i will probably be over mileage by 6k or so @.15 a mile). ... I do feel that the Civic (turbo version) will be the best of both worlds, sportiness and comfort. and a black one would look nice in the driveway next to my girlfriends Black 15 crv ex. .... but we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the info.

edit* also, a main factor is they are waiving all the scratches/scuffs and wheel rashes/ and arent going to prorate the mileage being over... basically as a incentive to stay with ford. ... they are crafty these car companies. lol
Really awesome! The ford dealer that is right next to the honda dealer where i bought my civicx had one leftover focus st but it was a horrible bright yellow/orange ugh I just couldnt do it. Im sure youll be happy with either choice! I couldnt be happier with my new civic. Sometimes I wish it was a stick but at times when im sitting in traffic on my way to work in the morning Im super happy it isnt lol Theres pro's and cons to both.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
right on.

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this info together. its good to know about someones real life experience with these cars. ... Yeah thats too bad that fords dual clutch auto transmission was a flop. i definitely wouldn't go with their auto transmission , though the sales man told me that ford wised up and improved (or simplified) the auto transmission for 15 and 16. . During my test drives with the Civic, i definitely noticed a more comfortable ride. it definitely is the best of both worlds. maybe i will get tired of shifting the ST after a couple years and come back to the civic. ... My ST will come with the summer tires. (i live on the central coast of california so no real weather issues.) but i plan on putting more of an all season tire after the first ones go bad. something that will give a little better commuter ride. ... I don't plan on hauling adults in the back very often. the GF has a 15 CRV for that kind of stuff. I mostly will be alone in it. but sometimes my 4yr boy will be in the back with his booster. seems to work decent. doesn't feel drastically different than my fusion to be honest.

Well thanks again for all this info. either way i plan to stay up with this forum and see whats new with our beloved civic. .. I was telling the salesman at honda today that he should join this site, it will help him have a much better understanding for the car.

cheers.

Ryan
The summer tires are glorious. Enjoy them :) Like being glued to the road. You're really going to like the ST. Going into corners with that thing is heaven.

On a *somewhat* more on-topic note, I was on the interstate and a VW GTI pulled alongside me and revved a couple times as a challenge and then took off. Unsurprisingly, I was unable to keep up, but I thought it was funny that he bothered.

10GenCVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe EX-T

Hi TyBu, I leased the 14' Fiesta ST and also live in San Diego. I have to say that while the Focus may have a poor turning radius of 40ft, the Ford Fiesta ST doesn't have a poor turning radius (35.5ft). I didn't have any issues in San Diego and frankly the Fiesta ST was a hell of a fun car to drive, one of the best I've had pound for pound. I was even a big fan of the Sync system after they ironed out all the bugs. That being said I agree with you regarding road noise, tires and the back seats and for some reason the ST didn't include a backup camera but all the other trims did. The side mirrors are the best and I don't know why all cars don't adopt that multi-angle side mirror.

I got to say though that I'm very interested in the 2016 Honda Civic and preferably the hatchback but I can't wait that long, so the coupe it is for me. Why wouldn't I get the new Fiesta ST? Interior space and gas mileage. I'm a dad now and I need more room for the car seat and a bit better gas mileage, willing to trade some power for that.

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The summer tires are glorious. Enjoy them :) Like being glued to the road. You're really going to like the ST. Going into corners with that thing is heaven.

On a *somewhat* more on-topic note, I was on the interstate and a VW GTI pulled alongside me and revved a couple times as a challenge and then took off. Unsurprisingly, I was unable to keep up, but I thought it was funny that he bothered.
Yeah, i am finding these summer tires to be very hugging on the road. the cool thing about ..... (wait have i meantioned that i went ahead and purchased a Black 2015 Focus ST yet? LOL... if not yes i did yesterday. and LOVE it so far) ...... this car is that you really have so much control of the car. with the 6 speed manual transmission, and plenty of power, great handling, i can tell that as i learn it more and more, i am becoming one with the car. (as strange as that may sound. ha)

cheers.

(couple pics of the car i took while out today)
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs 9th gen Civic Si Acceleration Tests by Hondata st%20cropped_zpstipske91

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs 9th gen Civic Si Acceleration Tests by Hondata st%20cropped2_zpsyo56alqo

Last edited: