First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what to consider when buying a car that’s been in a serious wreck. Obviously, everyone prefers NOT buying a car with such an ugly history. However, I was wondering if there was any space for considering a car with a salvage title. Maybe you can confirm a quality rebuild was done somehow? Does just a scenario exist, or should I just avoid any and all used Type Rs with a salvage title? Appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks, everyone!!
Sponsored

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
I would definitely not recommend it. Look into the laws in your state regarding salvage title vehicles before you commit.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Stay FAR FAR AWAY !!!!

Stomekuttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
I have a coworker that buys cars that have salvaged tags. He gets them from a company that fixes them. The more important thing is that he said it was also very difficult to find insurance for it as normal insurance companies will stay away from them.

Personally, I would stay away from them. Unless you have a good but on know-how on fixing them yourself and have the tools to do so, I would suggest you do the same.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never again for us due to the stigma attached to a totaled & repaired vehicle.
Maybe a vehicle you intend to use as a long term depreciating DD, but an FK8 doesn’t sound like a throwaway DD.
You’ll be married to it.
Nearly nobody will want to buy it from you when you decide to sell, and anyone willing to will expect a ridiculously steep price discount.
And forget about trading at a dealership, they’ll look at you like you have herpes.
I’ve also heard of people having real issues with insurance, thankfully our broker wasn’t fazed by it.
In 2008 we bought a branded 2007 Forester after it was repaired after a collision.
It had been the middle car in a three vehicle collision and had front & rear damage but no deployed airbags.
It was repaired be a very competent local body shop whose business is to buy, repair and sell insurance auction vehicles.
We used the Forester as a competent and relatively reliable DD for 12 years and it went to the boneyard in 2020 and it brought $250 as scrap metal.
We realized going in that long term ownership would be the only path that made sense financially with the vehicle due to the fact that it was a repaired salvage car.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bates XIV

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I hear you all loud and clear. Glad I asked, and the clear advice is appreciated. Thanks, again!!

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
If the price is good which probably not due to current type r prices. I know theft salvage might be good but flood is stay away from. Track car are good choice with salvage as long as it drives straight I imagine
Sponsored