Brand new 2020 CTR Horrible 2nd Gear Grind 9K KM/5.5k Miles

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
i thought I got a good one...because I havnt had any issues what so ever since buying the car.

was driving with the gf to get some groceries today, at a red light, started off in 1st perfectly normal, shifted into 2nd and BOOM! was scary to say the least and honestly sounded alot worse than some of the youtube videos ive watched...

9k KM's, and 5.5k MIles for the US peaps. all maintanence has been up to date - never tracked the car, been babying it since day 1, oil change less than a month ago and car is BONE stock/ Also been driving manual for 5+ years so I cant blame it on my manual skills...

I do have dashcam footage but just uploaded it onto the computer and unfortunately theres no audio so its kinda useless.

what do I do from here, any guidance would be appreciated...
Sponsored

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It happens to almost everybody sooner or later. Don’t freak out about it too much.

If it keeps happening there’s a few things you can try. Different transmission fluid, clutch delay valve delete, kzcmc to name a few.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
There isn’t anything to do per se. If it’s still driving normally the dealer won’t do anything. Are you absolutely certain that the clutch was 100% depressed? This transmission is very sensitive to timing. Doesn’t like to be rushed.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had my first around 2k, and I was on high RPM 1st gear when it happened. Have been driving more methodical since then. Slowly shifting quicker again now and haven't had any issues since. But, I do know I will change the transmission oil for sure. Synchromesh

OP
OP

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Do you guys think taking it in to a dealership would have any merit?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Bud just relax, keep driving it and making sure you're using the clutch all the way when shifting second. I found that after about 9-10k miles the transmission 'broke in' and stopped doing what you described and now I don't hit that issue anymore.

I think you're good and simply advise the above and see how you are in a few thousand miles.

The main objective with any car is to avoid going to the dealership, since they usually either make things worse or just will lie to you if the issue isn't easily repeatable and VERY VERY evident.

Relax friend I think you're good!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Do you guys think taking it in to a dealership would have any merit?
They'll likely log the statement, be unable to reproduce the issue and try to help you by pulling a Steve Jobs and saying, "shift different."

achowe2605

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00357
Country flag
I would consider swapping the transmission fluid. I swapped mine at 3500 for more OEM fluid-still made a significant difference. Also check you clutch pedal adjustment. There are some good threads about it on this site! Don’t sweat too hard.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
my 21 has 225 miles on it and had 3 diff cases of that 2nd gear grind tonight. gonna drive it a few hundred more miles and swap the trans fluid with amsoil synchromesh

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
not even about fluid imo - I was looking at all of that stuff + replacement CMC etc..

The only thing you new guys should do is check your Clutch Master Cylinder calibration to ensure it's proper - that's an easy in your garage thing to check. Past that just give it some time, I promise you it breaks in after 7-9k of good solid clutch all the way in - easy second - driving. After that, quick shifting is back on the menu. I haven't ground in thousands of miles...

Good luck guys but don't get too freaked out!

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
not even about fluid imo - I was looking at all of that stuff + replacement CMC etc..

The only thing you new guys should do is check your Clutch Master Cylinder calibration to ensure it's proper - that's an easy in your garage thing to check. Past that just give it some time, I promise you it breaks in after 7-9k of good solid clutch all the way in - easy second - driving. After that, quick shifting is back on the menu. I haven't ground in thousands of miles...

Good luck guys but don't get too freaked out!
my 07 si was WAY worse but at least honda finally came out and had a TSB for it (synchros i bel.)

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
my 21 has 225 miles on it and had 3 diff cases of that 2nd gear grind tonight. gonna drive it a few hundred more miles and swap the trans fluid with amsoil synchromesh
You definitely need to at least look at the clutch adjustment. There are multiple threads about it here. That much grinding is abnormal. Either you are doing something wrong, or the car has an actual issue. Fluid won’t solve that.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
You definitely need to at least look at the clutch adjustment. There are multiple threads about it here. That much grinding is abnormal. Either you are doing something wrong, or the car has an actual issue. Fluid won’t solve that.
took it out yest and today, put about 100 miles on it and no grind. this isnt my first rodeo lol ive been driving manuals for over 20 yrs. as stated above, my fg2 si was way worse but im thinking maybe the other night being really cold could be why?
Sponsored