HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just bled the brakes in my 2016 Civic. Admittedly, must have gotten some air in a line and after doing all four in the correct order a second time, I found the culprit and believe I cleared out the air. Pedal felt firm again and braking appeared solid. But every warning light and messages seems to be displaying. Brake System Problem, Brake Fluid Low, Hill Assist Problem, Traction Control, and Power Steering Problem.

Does this mean I really have a problem and screwed something up? Someone even mentioned something about using ACC Mode, which I did earlier in the day to charge my cell phone when our house electricity was out.

Does this mean I've got to take it to the stealership, or do I try disconnecting the battery overnight, or what is my next step? Thanks for any help.

Hank
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If everything feels normal, drive it for 5-10 minutes and everything should go away.

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Fingers crossed tomorrow. That’d be the easiest and cheapest fix I’ve had lately.

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
So far, no good today, but just a few 7-10 minute drives. I’ll see what happens tomorrow with a couple of 45 minute drives. Then I guess I try disconnecting the battery tomorrow night if warnings still freaking out?

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
After two 45 minute drives to work and back today, still all warning lights and messages going full tilt. Not a thing wrong operationally at all, brakes or otherwise. So is my next step to disconnect the battery? Is positive only sufficient and for how long?

Thanks for any advice.

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks, but I ended up leaving disconnected overnight, reattached this morning, all the usual ended up resetting as I drove 45 min to work, but I still have the same problems. Warnings for brake fluid low, vehicle stability assist, hill start assist, brake system problem, brake hold problem, and power steering problem.

Has me worried now. ABS screwed up somehow? Do I try the whole bleeding process again? Any other ideas for what might be wrong? Mayday!

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Definitely seems related to bleeding the brakes. Other than trying to bleed them again, you can try getting the error codes to pinpoint the problem.

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Can Autozone read the actual codes for me with six different messages displaying?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Can Autozone read the actual codes for me with six different messages displaying?
I have never used their code reader service for brakes, but their website says " Fix Finder reads information from the Check Engine, ABS, and maintenance lights. "

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Did you accidently knock off a sensor?

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Took it to Autozone and was hopeful they could reset. They tried twice but it didn't work. They said the dealership would probably have to reset the system. I'll either go through the process one more time or consult a trusted Honda shop before the dealership.

Thanks to all with helpful comments and suggestions. I'm not a total newbie but no doubt much more inexperienced than some. Between three Hondas I presently own, I've done brake pads a number of times, rotors, calipers, rear wheel bearings, front struts, rear shocks, stuff like that, and actually brake lines several times. Still learning here.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Took it to Autozone and was hopeful they could reset. They tried twice but it didn't work. They said the dealership would probably have to reset the system. I'll either go through the process one more time or consult a trusted Honda shop before the dealership.

Thanks to all with helpful comments and suggestions. I'm not a total newbie but no doubt much more inexperienced than some. Between three Hondas I presently own, I've done brake pads a number of times, rotors, calipers, rear wheel bearings, front struts, rear shocks, stuff like that, and actually brake lines several times. Still learning here.
When bleeding the brakes did you disconnect anything? I only ask cause my friend has had this issue after getting his brakes done twice and both times it had to do with the parking brake cable

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks Jordan, yes that is a possibility I've had in mind to check. I didn't disconnect anything Saturday to do the lines, but I did have to the week before when I did the brake pads. When changing the rear pads you have to disconnect the electronic parking brake module and I'm concerned that the connector on the passenger side rear didn't seem to reconnect completely securely, like the little plastic tab might have broken. Yet, the electronic parking brake has worked fine since and still does tonight. Still I wondered if that was in some way the culprit.

OP
OP

HRem

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Glad to report in that all is well and finally fixed for free. After Autozone couldn’t get the codes to clear and system to reset, it seemed inevitable that I’d have to surrender to the dealership. But I went to Mavis near my work where I’ve had plenty of tire and brake work done in the past. The mechanic cleared and reset the system, only my maintenance reminder for upcoming oil change came back on, and clear sailing since.
Thanks all!
Sponsored