Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
The only reason I got on this forum, was to see about Bilstein shocks. Doesn't look good at all! I just passed "only" 50,000, the stealer said mine are "sweating", and it feels like it.
Sponsored

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
Okay..... searched and all I found was limited to eBay, one seller had only the Left front strut, another two sellers had just the front pair, no rear shocks. No luck at all on Amazon. So I would say forget it.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
TireRack has the Bilstein B4 for OE replacement and B8 for the stiffer/shortened shock bodies necessary for pairing with lowering springs.
Problem is they only fit Hatchbacks. They have the 52MM only lower front strut insert size. Sedan and Coupe is the 50.5MM.
I learned the hard way with trying their PSS coil over kit designed also for just FK7/Hatchback.

Someone needs to get them to make the smaller diameter front insert size.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
TireRack has the Bilstein B4 for OE replacement and B8 for the stiffer/shortened shock bodies necessary for pairing with lowering springs.
Problem is they only fit Hatchbacks. They have the 52MM only lower front strut insert size. Sedan and Coupe is the 50.5MM.
I learned the hard way with trying their PSS coil over kit designed also for just FK7/Hatchback.

Someone needs to get them to make the smaller diameter front insert size.
TireRack mislabeled the B6 as B8. The part numbers are identical to the B6 fronts listed here.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^yeah B6/B8 is for lowering springs. My point is Bilstein needs to address the other 66.6% of the model line up. It just FK7’s. That’s dumb.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
^yeah B6/B8 is for lowering springs. My point is Bilstein needs to address the other 66.6% of the model line up. It just FK7’s. That’s dumb.
Until your post, I didn't even realize the chassis had different shock bodies. Good to know.

TIM2430

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX SEDAN 2.0
Hi CivicX community!

I am in need of new shocks/struts on my EX-T(100k miles with noticeable ride softness) and have been looking around to see what might be the best replacement option. Since I do not plan to lower my car (I live in an area where it snows quite often and this is my year-round car), I decided to look into OE-style replacements. It had seemed that KYB and Bilstein B4 shocks/struts were my only options until I stumbled upon this thread which mentioned that the Bilstein B6 was available in the European part catalogue. I had to see this for myself, and indeed the B6 as well as the B14 PSS are available for the non-CTR models. Indeed, this news release mentions that these parts were available since May-June 2020. Part numbers are as follows:
Front B6 L: 22-291752
Front B6 R: 22-291769
Rear B6: 24-291743
B14 PSS: 47-282177

1614723267655.png

1614723291376.png

However, I could not find a US retailer which had these in stock. I reached out to Bilstein North America and got a response about covid and production issues:
1614723589721.png

1614723609699.png

I also could not find these in stock at any of the usual US retailers like RockAuto, TireRack, Summit Racing, even Amazon. I reached out to TireRack to see if they might stock these anytime soon and I will keep this thread updated with the response. However, I did notice that these are listed on some European retailer websites. After some more searching, I decided to purchase the set of front and rear struts/shocks from nsb concept. The links to the parts are as follows for those interested:
Front L B6
Front R B6
Rear pair B6

The prices seemed reasonable and were lower than those from other Euro retailers. The only snag was the 86.19 euro shipping and handling from France o_O
1614723983314.png

Anyways, I will keep this thread updated with any news from TireRack as well as my ordering status and eventually a review of the B6 shocks/struts once I get them installed.
Look man, I don't know where you live but I just ordered and received Bilstein B6 front struts for my 2017 EX Sedan, $103.00 each.
Summit Racing, in Ohio..... they're on the web....

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The fronts have been in stock for awhile. The rear is months wait…

civictx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Hi CivicX community!

I am in need of new shocks/struts on my EX-T(100k miles with noticeable ride softness) and have been looking around to see what might be the best replacement option. Since I do not plan to lower my car (I live in an area where it snows quite often and this is my year-round car), I decided to look into OE-style replacements. It had seemed that KYB and Bilstein B4 shocks/struts were my only options until I stumbled upon this thread which mentioned that the Bilstein B6 was available in the European part catalogue. I had to see this for myself, and indeed the B6 as well as the B14 PSS are available for the non-CTR models. Indeed, this news release mentions that these parts were available since May-June 2020. Part numbers are as follows:
Front B6 L: 22-291752
Front B6 R: 22-291769
Rear B6: 24-291743
B14 PSS: 47-282177

1614723267655.png

1614723291376.png

However, I could not find a US retailer which had these in stock. I reached out to Bilstein North America and got a response about covid and production issues:
1614723589721.png

1614723609699.png

I also could not find these in stock at any of the usual US retailers like RockAuto, TireRack, Summit Racing, even Amazon. I reached out to TireRack to see if they might stock these anytime soon and I will keep this thread updated with the response. However, I did notice that these are listed on some European retailer websites. After some more searching, I decided to purchase the set of front and rear struts/shocks from nsb concept. The links to the parts are as follows for those interested:
Front L B6
Front R B6
Rear pair B6

The prices seemed reasonable and were lower than those from other Euro retailers. The only snag was the 86.19 euro shipping and handling from France o_O
1614723983314.png

Anyways, I will keep this thread updated with any news from TireRack as well as my ordering status and eventually a review of the B6 shocks/struts once I get them installed.
hello. Bilstein B6 ( rear ) shocks tentative release late 2022 per their response.
product not yet in production per Bilstein, delayed 2 years already.
B6 struts have already been available. Tire Rack has incorrect Bilstein product ( B8 ) listed as a replacement for FK7 but product does not exist for this application, & despite being notified about this, Tire Rack persists with this listing.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
hello. Bilstein B6 ( rear ) shocks tentative release late 2022 per their response.
product not yet in production per Bilstein, delayed 2 years already.
B6 struts have already been available. Tire Rack has incorrect Bilstein product ( B8 ) listed as a replacement for FK7 but product does not exist for this application, & despite being notified about this, Tire Rack persists with this listing.
I just wanted to add that I installed my B6 fronts a year ago and just installed the rears. I waited over a year for the rears to be in production. I ordered them from Summit and they arrived with one shock having broken through the box and loose inside the main box but no damage was seen anywhere so on they went. The ride and handling is phenomenal. I knew the potential was high because the fronts on helped in the handling but the car was bouncing like a pogo stick for months and months. I can't believe the Monroe struts I put in the rear were so bad and unable to control the bouncing and compression jounce at all. Cheers mates and please do purchase and enjoy these new B6 struts/shocks. I do not know if they fit sedans as I drive hatch.

*****OVERALL VERY PLEASED AND LOVING MY CIVIC AGAIN!!!! ******

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I just wanted to add that I installed my B6 fronts a year ago and just installed the rears. I waited over a year for the rears to be in production. I ordered them from Summit and they arrived with one shock having broken through the box and loose inside the main box but no damage was seen anywhere so on they went. The ride and handling is phenomenal. I knew the potential was high because the fronts on helped in the handling but the car was bouncing like a pogo stick for months and months. I can't believe the Monroe struts I put in the rear were so bad and unable to control the bouncing and compression jounce at all. Cheers mates and please do purchase and enjoy these new B6 struts/shocks. I do not know if they fit sedans as I drive hatch.

*****OVERALL VERY PLEASED AND LOVING MY CIVIC AGAIN!!!! ******
Are you on stock springs?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you on stock springs?
Good question. Yes, I am on stock springs in a Hatchback Sport which I was reading in Car and Driver tested it to have what they considered good skidpad grip of .93 G's.

The roads here have become atrocious and have potholes everywhere. The city does not even try to address city streets, while the state of Texas addresses highways very quickly in sharp contrast. Also, I'm on stock anti-roll bars. Next mod will be chassis stiffening.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Good question. Yes, I am on stock springs in a Hatchback Sport which I was reading in Car and Driver tested it to have what they considered good skidpad grip of .93 G's.

The roads here have become atrocious and have potholes everywhere. The city does not even try to address city streets, while the state of Texas addresses highways very quickly in sharp contrast. Also, I'm on stock anti-roll bars. Next mod will be chassis stiffening.
Thanks! I'm on an EX which I suspect are the same springs. Here in San Francisco, its just as bad and I'm on Si 18s so the experience is the same. I'm reaching 166k miles on the original shocks and been patiently waiting for inventory to creep back up for a refresh. I thought about the B4s may just splurge for the B6.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I'm on an EX which I suspect are the same springs. Here in San Francisco, its just as bad and I'm on Si 18s so the experience is the same. I'm reaching 166k miles on the original shocks and been patiently waiting for inventory to creep back up for a refresh. I thought about the B4s may just splurge for the B6.
Hey sorry just getting back to you. I'm bad with emails these days. So, I have been in San Fran and in my Civic as well. You guys have some mighty steep hills around there and more in some parts than others. So, with the B6 shocks, the dampening is a thing, but the actual movement is more restricted than with twin tube shocks like the originals. You may like the Bilstein B4 shocks better. I will venture a guess that the B4 will exceed some others and yet yield more like original ride. I am okay with the B6 because they are not ultra stiff and Bilstein make them with ample compliance and yet there is more gas pressure inside them, which controls motions more. Sometimes the car will sort of bounce left and right on the bumpy road but the big hits are dampened better and high speed cornering is much improved. With the original twin tubes, there was less left and right bouncing as the suspension arms would simply articulate unabated if that makes sense.
Sponsored