Any reason why there are so many Type Rs for sale?

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
Looking on on ebay and there are about 8 active used type r for sale. Any major reason y'all see?
Sponsored

Zipsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2016 BMW i8
Country flag
Looking on on ebay and there are about 8 active used type r for sale. Any major reason y'all see?
Are any of them selling below MSRP? If not, I suspect zroger73 makes a good point.

Z.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
zroger's probably more on the money that it's flippers that got them at MSRP (or the lucky few that got them a bit below) and are trying to turn that into a profit. Personally, I don't see how they'll be successful considering when you add TT&L, the cost equals average markup. And you'd still be selling a used Civic.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Poor life decisions

Dealers that took them on trade from people that car hop from one fad to the next
Dealers that drove them as testers and are selling them as used now
Poor life decisions

People that didn't understand that they were buying a track ready car
Poor life decisions

There's a million different reasons.

I think we're going to see a higher first owner turn over rate on the CTR than would be expected for a Honda because of the fad factor.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Why are people paying more than MSRP for a USED car?

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Why are people paying more than MSRP for a USED car?
Because this is the first time the Civic Type-R is in the US so it is still kind of a unicorn. People are just dumb and impulse buying from the hype they still believe is there. There still is hype just not as much as when it was first released.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
If Honda were able to prevent dealers from selling the Type R above MSRP and more were available, I bet they would have sold significantly more - at least during the period of peak interest . On the other hand, the Swindon plant is probably already at capacity, so in order to build more Type Rs they would have had to build fewer regular hatchbacks.

Also, building enough Type Rs for every current and future buyer would dilute the exclusivity of the vehicle.

Another factor is that Honda may not want to produce too many Type Rs - a relatively thirsty Civic that averages only 25 MPG such as the Type R is harmful to Honda's CAFE ratings.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
MPG?? Umm I'm getting 35mpg
Do you drive downhill at all times with a heavy tailwind helping propel you? Please forgive my skepticism at such a specious claim but there's no way you're getting 35 mpg in US gallons.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Do you drive downhill at all times with a heavy tailwind helping propel you? Please forgive my skepticism at such a specious claim but there's no way you're getting 35 mpg in US gallons.
32.2 mile on my morning commute on CA 99 and CA 50 going 65-70 which is fairly flat. 30ish in the afternoon using the backroads with roughly 10 stoplights/signs. Dash MPG states 31ish, but manual calculation is a bit higher. The car can get decent MPG if you want it to. ;)
Sponsored