How long before Type-Rs are sold for a reasonable price in California

zidanej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS 300, Civic Type R '18
Been lurking on this forum for a good 6 months before the Type R released and it's just been disappointing that the Type R markups are so crazy still in California almost 6 months after the release date with no end in sight. I'm willing to pay up to 2k over MSRP but dealers are still asking for 10k+ in Northern California and it seems like a waste of time to check inventory and call dealers. How are other people in California getting their Type-Rs?
Sponsored

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Probably at the end of 2018...

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been lurking on this forum for a good 6 months before the Type R released and it's just been disappointing that the Type R markups are so crazy still in California almost 6 months after the release date with no end in sight. I'm willing to pay up to 2k over MSRP but dealers are still asking for 10k+ in Northern California and it seems like a waste of time to check inventory and call dealers. How are other people in California getting their Type-Rs?
Several forum members have bought out of state and brought them back to CA.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I don't know but I really want to test drive one.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
In California, they'll probably never come down as I don't think there will be a 2019 Type R. Your best bet is to buy one out of state and bring it back, as mentioned above.

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
My buddy at a dealer in Arizona that sold me mine for $8k over told me they just sold another one for $12k over so it is not just CA.

JayeGee

JaysCTR2528
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 EK HATCH EJ6 & 2017 CTR FK8
Country flag
i bought my ctr in socal back in july paid 5k adm signed & delivered.

shakeb0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Tesla Model S, 11 Honda Insight
They are right about buying out of state and bringing it back to CA, which is what I did to escape the crazy CA markup. There's a few CA dealers that are willing to go 5k ADM but rare. Keep calling around and give them your best offer. If they decline, continue to search on. Good luck.

FK_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR 187
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I lurked this forum for 2 weeks, got a lead and bought one for $3.5K over with options & warranty. I was on waitlist for 2 MSRP CTRs, one in Texas & another in Idaho. Do consider that you’re probably gonna have to pay more than $2K to fly out and ship the car back to CA.
It’s gonna get worse before it gets better.. tax season is coming and people are gonna have extra cash to continue to pay ADM.
Try Lancaster Honda, from June to August they had the lowest ADM in SoCal at $4K.
Goodluck on your hunt.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
If you think it's a waste of time to call around and try to talk a dealer down to a price comfortable for you, it'll probably take you a while to snag one. Some dealers that were asking 10k+ ADM are now doing 2-3k or even MSRP as Bernie stated above. You'd have to hella work for it if you really want it for MSRP. I don't see them going down anytime soon since there are still folks who are willing to pay 10k+ ADM to be honest.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
If you think it's a waste of time to call around and try to talk a dealer down to a price comfortable for you, it'll probably take you a while to snag one. Some dealers that were asking 10k+ ADM are now doing 2-3k or even MSRP as Bernie stated above. You'd have to hella work for it if you really want it for MSRP. I don't see them going down anytime soon since there are still folks who are willing to pay 10k+ ADM to be honest.
And also a lot of positive reviews are hitting the magazine stands as well...also, if the Type R wins Motor Trend's Car of The Year, then maybe even harder to find at MSRP. But don't give up, MSRP is still possible in CA, just have to call like CRAZY, like Chee_hu mentioned.

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
Bought mine a lil over 2 months ago I live in Sacramento. Called Honda dealers from Bakersfield all the way up to Chico and all the ones in the Bay Area. Got mine for 3k mark up I’m happy.
Sponsored