About to pull the trigger on ECU...

Partinrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
Guys, I am ready to get either Hondata or KTuner. I am leaning towards Ktuner, but heres the catch: I have an email from my salesman stating he spoke to a service tech about Hondata and stated in the email that Hondata will not void my warranty because it is backed by Honda. Obviously this is not true, but I do know through my law classes that if I did somehow mess my engine up, I would have a good defense because he was acting as a representative of Honda and stated it as a fact, not opinion. With that being said......I really would rather have Ktuner. Opinions?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm no legal expert (far from it) but everything you sign at a dealership excuses errors and omissions. I'm sure that only goes so far, but I would not use your salesman's incorrect statement to determine which ECU tuner to purchase.

OP
OP

Partinrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
I'm no legal expert (far from it) but everything you sign at a dealership excuses errors and omissions. I'm sure that only goes so far, but I would not use your salesman's incorrect statement to determine which ECU tuner to purchase.
Yeah, I thought about that too. My hope is that they would see two employees (the tech and the salesman) giving me information to run on. However, I think if push came to shove, Honda would pull something along the lines of "even though so and so told you this, that's just not the case...". I can dream of a slip up costing them, right? Of course, all of this is dependent on A: something happening to my motor, and B: Honda finding out it was tuned.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a semi-related note, do we really think someone at Honda isn't occasionally keeping an eye on the biggest 10th Gen Civic community on the web? Posts like this make me wonder sometimes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
360 is right. The salesman's inaccurate comment isn't the basis for buying a particular tuner.

I have a Flashpro and for the most part I like it. It's easy to use and the software is intuitive. Where I'm disappointed is the ultra conservative approach Hondata has towards the CVT. On the one hand I understand they want to play it safe but Ktuner does offer many more driveability tweaks for their CVT tunes. I don't know if you have a CVT or manual though.

Customer service wise I've had dealings with both Hondata and Ktuner. I have to say Ktuner gets the edge in that department. And Ktuner is much more responsive and active at this forum compared to Hondata's reps.

Having said that, both companies make quality products that will transform your ride.

Sigpro556

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Hatchback LX
Country flag
I agree . Please dont let all the hypothetical thinking stop you from getting what you truly want. I rarely post on here but as one guy just siad this is a hug community and full of some great guys and gals always willing to lend a hand. With that being said i bought hondata months after buying my car and with in one year I have already sold it and bought a k tuner. Both products have wonderful qualities and they both have top notch customer service. Like through the roof man. So whatever you pick your car is going to feel amazing and much qicker. I would pick the tuner that works for you. I sadly do not have the sport hatch. Just a LX. So its lacking on gauges, launch control on the steering wheel and few other things. I personally loved the fact the k tuner came with a touch screen. Also one thing that pushed me towards k tuner and selling hondata is they are always adding something new. Seems like they are on this site just as much as us looking for what we want in a tuner and then it seems like they work on it and poof it comes out later. I gueas i fwlt hondata was lacking in that aspect. No professional here. First car I have ever tuned. But wanted to help out because thats a tough choice. Both are great tuners!!!!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, I am ready to get either Hondata or KTuner. I am leaning towards Ktuner, but heres the catch: I have an email from my salesman stating he spoke to a service tech about Hondata and stated in the email that Hondata will not void my warranty because it is backed by Honda. Obviously this is not true, but I do know through my law classes that if I did somehow mess my engine up, I would have a good defense because he was acting as a representative of Honda and stated it as a fact, not opinion. With that being said......I really would rather have Ktuner. Opinions?
Speaking to Honda directly.... A dealer can choose to warranty whatever they want, even if honda doesnt but you better have that in very specific wording in your deal.

Honda Civic 10th gen About to pull the trigger on ECU... FP not warrantied
Sponsored