Eager noob here, questions about stock ECU trim adaptability to minor intake/exhaust mods

19sicoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello! Long time lurker and new member to this awesome forum. Despite scanning various threads, I have a question I would love someone to help answer for me. I have a 2019 Civic Si Coupe, completely stock that I have owned since new. Sitting at about 24k miles. Would like to start modding mildly, and have a question about add-ons without using a Ktuner or Hondata:

-Can the stock ECU tune/trims accommodate a 27WON cai and AWE Touring exhaust?

Mainly looking for a slightly better response in breathing and exhaust gas release, with a (hopeful) increase in fuel economy. I've owned a few modded Civic Si's from the 90's and early 2000's. I remember getting some killer economy and better breathing back in the day by just these mods alone. SO happy I traded in my WRX and returned to my Honda roots...
Thanks in advance...!
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Yes, if you get the street MAF. The exhaust has no effect on the ecu

OP
OP
19sicoupe

19sicoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, if you get the street MAF. The exhaust has no effect on the ecu
Thank you for the reply! And by "street MAF" you are referring to that option givin by 27WON before purchasing the cai, correct?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you know, those two mods will give you only minor performance gains. More sound than fury if you know what I mean.

As far as fuel economy, you won't see much of a gain honestly. To me, the better play (unless sound is your main goal), is to start with a base tune and take it from there. Fuel economy will stay stock-like at part throttle and the driveability improvements are a "wow".

OP
OP
19sicoupe

19sicoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just so you know, those two mods will give you only minor performance gains. More sound than fury if you know what I mean.

As far as fuel economy, you won't see much of a gain honestly. To me, the better play (unless sound is your main goal), is to start with a base tune and take it from there. Fuel economy will stay stock-like at part throttle and the driveability improvements are a "wow".
Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate your knowledge...! The information from the manufacturers of these products confirm these mods won't give me any significant or noticeable gains without an aftermarket tune. Trust me-- I'm more than certain a Ktuner will find it's way onto this car before long... and I'm grateful for this forum as a resource when I do! Honestly my main goal at the moment is to do away with that hideous "USB 2.0" looking exhaust tip. I die a little inside every time I look at that thing...

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate your knowledge...! The information from the manufacturers of these products confirm these mods won't give me any significant or noticeable gains without an aftermarket tune. Trust me-- I'm more than certain a Ktuner will find it's way onto this car before long... and I'm grateful for this forum as a resource when I do! Honestly my main goal at the moment is to do away with that hideous "USB 2.0" looking exhaust tip. I die a little inside every time I look at that thing...
The good old hdmi tip lol
A higher flowing catted downpipe May increase performance and fuel economy as well

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Long gone are the days where putting a better exhaust and intake system actually does anything more than sound/looks on a stock tune car, sadly. I see where you said you were gonna tune at some point, but it is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance for our cars, and will allow these other mods to work together better. MAF size simply refers to the size of the intake manifold, as street is equivalent to what the stock cars use and Race is bigger diameter, would require a tune to utilize properly but also has better HP gains.
Stock ECU/tune won't adjust much in way of these mods as it's tuned to a T with the stock setup. While an intake and exhaust won't hurt matters, you won't truly benefit either.

Check out gtman's Tune & Reliability forum for more information on tunes/what mods others are running, and once you tune you should totally drop your submission in for the better of the community :cool:

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Long gone are the days where putting a better exhaust and intake system actually does anything more than sound/looks on a stock tune car, sadly. I see where you said you were gonna tune at some point, but it is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance for our cars, and will allow these other mods to work together better. MAF size simply refers to the size of the intake manifold, as street is equivalent to what the stock cars use and Race is bigger diameter, would require a tune to utilize properly but also has better HP gains.
Stock ECU/tune won't adjust much in way of these mods as it's tuned to a T with the stock setup. While an intake and exhaust won't hurt matters, you won't truly benefit either.

Check out gtman's Tune & Reliability forum for more information on tunes/what mods others are running, and once you tune you should totally drop your submission in for the better of the community :cool:
I will second this is one of the first places I looked at to see what would be possible for my car.
Sponsored