Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just got my car back today, and the dealership did a shitty job. I gave them the car with a quarter tank of gas. The job took 3 hrs. I pick the car up everything is fine no smell of gas. I go to the gas station to top off, start smelling gas inside the car. So I'm thinking maybe some spilled when they pulled the pump.

I drive home and as I pull in my driveway the delivery driver behind says to me I think your car is leaking gas I can smell it. I look underneath and sure enough its dripping.

I go back to the dealership this is like at 5 pm so they are getting ready to shutdown, I tell them I smell gas and I see it dripping from underneath, service lady tells me this is normal after this repair is done, but she goes back and talks to the mechanic anyways, she comes back gives me the same runaround answer and tells me to come back if this still persists after a few days.

When I get back home I open it up(removed the back seat and the panel) and sure enough they did not put the locking ring(the ring that locks the pump assembly to the tank) back on properly, there is also gas everywhere. The locking ring has slots and the tank has hooks that slide into the slots, there are like 5 or 6 hooks. Only 3 of the hooks were engaged the ring was sitting on top of the other hooks, so the ring was sitting crooked. Thats why gas spilled everywhere when I topped of at the gas station.

Luckily nothing was damaged (to my knowledge and from what I can see). The connector and hose fittings seemed to be ok. I took the locking ring off and put it back on properly so it engaged all the hooks.

If you have to get this recall done I highly suggest opening your back seat and checking their work.
Oh Hell yes, I agree completely. Warranty work gets the lowest man on the totem pole- because it pays the least . Unless it’s a friend of the management, then it’s the Red Carpet treatment.
The more experienced mechanics get the higher paying work, otherwise they’d just leave.
Sponsored

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
Strong fuel smell from outside of car after recall. No obvious leaks, occurs any time after filling fuel tank completely and not over filling.

Car is going back to dealer and will see if they fix it.

What a pain.

Kekela98a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I hate taking my car to the dealership cause you don't know who's working on your car. This was the only time I had to use the dealership for the Type R and hopefully it'l be the last time.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I hate taking my car to the dealership cause you don't know who's working on your car. This was the only time I had to use the dealership for the Type R and hopefully it'l be the last time.
Whenever I take my Type R to the dealership the same tech works on my car :p

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Finally got the pump taken care of.

The experience was 10000% better this time, and the work was done in about 2.5 hours. So far so good, but it's too hot outside to really test things but I haven't felt anything wrong yet. Will report back after I take some logs and drive around a bit.

Fuel levels reading accurately after fillup, don't smell any gas (yet). But let's see how long it lasts!

If you're in Ottawa, check out Dow Honda for service. Although my first few goes at them went rough, it was eventually resolved and they were very transparent and made sure to get it done.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Anyone able to bring the pump in and get it swapped? I have the Hondata FSU installed and the pump is sitting in a box.

OP
OP
98-0425

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I follow the 3rd gen Pilot group, well because I own one. Same quality shit happening with the Pilot too.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall Screenshot_20210609-104715_Facebook

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
All these horror stories... :eek:

Took mine to Anderson Honda in Palo Alto. They quoted me 3.5-4 hours when booking the appointment, and again when dropping it off. On the dot of 4 hours the service adviser came to find me (I waited at the dealership) to tell me my car was done. Took it to get gas right away (brought in in with 2 bars), filled it up without issue and drove home.

Simple, easy, and quick(ish).

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
All these horror stories... :eek:

Took mine to Anderson Honda in Palo Alto. They quoted me 3.5-4 hours when booking the appointment, and again when dropping it off. On the dot of 4 hours the service adviser came to find me (I waited at the dealership) to tell me my car was done. Took it to get gas right away (brought in in with 2 bars), filled it up without issue and drove home.

Simple, easy, and quick(ish).
One of their service peeps was getting some service done and said if I needed anything, come on over and he'd take care of it. I haven't needed to do that but was appreciative of the offer.

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
Strong fuel smell from outside of car after recall. No obvious leaks, occurs any time after filling fuel tank completely and not over filling.

Car is going back to dealer and will see if they fix it.

What a pain.
Car returned to me after 2 days. Fuel smell not remedied, dealer could not find it. Dealer recognizes everything as OKAY.

So far, how I've been able to recreate fuel smell is by parking car in the garage with full tank of gas. Not overfilling, no obvious leaks underneath car.

Fuel smell is not immediate, fuel smell is noticed the next day after sitting the car for the night in closed non-ventilated garage. Fuel smell is ONLY external.

Suspecting EVAP compromised, no check engine though.

BearlyPizza

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Car returned to me after 2 days. Fuel smell not remedied, dealer could not find it. Dealer recognizes everything as OKAY.

So far, how I've been able to recreate fuel smell is by parking car in the garage with full tank of gas. Not overfilling, no obvious leaks underneath car.

Fuel smell is not immediate, fuel smell is noticed the next day after sitting the car for the night in closed non-ventilated garage. Fuel smell is ONLY external.

Suspecting EVAP compromised, no check engine though.

Oh wow, I actually have the same issue too it looks like! the car smelled fine on the same tank of gas i brought it in for the recall, but after refilling, there was a gas smell emanating from my garage. I tried to sit it outside for a bit and then bring it back in, but the fumes would come back eventually.

Likewise, the smell is only external and i noticed no leaks on the outside. No Cel either. The only things i've noticed so far is that the smell kind of seems to emanate from the gas filling side when the car is sitting for awhile.
When the car is on, the exhaust is a bit smellier than usual, It's also leaking a liquid, which i can't tell if it's water or fuel. But i don't recall seeing that much (or having such a strong smell of gas) before from my exhaust.

I'm bringing my car in tomorrow to Serramonte Honda to see if they can figure it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall IMG_20210609_161919

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
Oh wow, I actually have the same issue too it looks like! the car smelled fine on the same tank of gas i brought it in for the recall, but after refilling, there was a gas smell emanating from my garage. I tried to sit it outside for a bit and then bring it back in, but the fumes would come back eventually.

Likewise, the smell is only external and i noticed no leaks on the outside. No Cel either. The only things i've noticed so far is that the smell kind of seems to emanate from the gas filling side when the car is sitting for awhile.
When the car is on, the exhaust is a bit smellier than usual, It's also leaking a liquid, which i can't tell if it's water or fuel. But i don't recall seeing that much (or having such a strong smell of gas) before from my exhaust.

I'm bringing my car in tomorrow to Serramonte Honda to see if they can figure it out.

IMG_20210609_161919.jpg
Keep me posted on their findings. At the moment trying to get back in contact with the dealer.

Get a paper towel wipe up that fluid and sniff it (don't go crazy), I'm going to assume just water I'm 99.01% sure of that, gas would've burned up really quickly and gave you a bunch of back firing.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I had mine scheduled for Thursday (yesterday) at 10, and was told I could get a rental paid by the dealer when I asked if there was a loaner available. A few days later my work schedule changed and I was going to be out of town but returning on Thursday, so I asked if I could drop it off Tuesday afternoon, pick up the rental, and get my car Thursday end of day. They said sure, so that's what I did. Never got notice that the car was finished Thursday, but that was ok because I wasn't to pick it up anyway. I did get notice Friday morning that it was done. So that's all a mixed bag. Wasn't done when promised (was supposed to 4-4.5 hours starting at 10am), but I wasn't available to pick it up Thursday anyway and had a rental.
Was advised by the writer that there could be a gas smell for a couple days, but none when I got in the car. I drove straight to Costco and filled it up from just over 1/4. No issues filling, the gauge read where I left it before filling, and full after, no gas smell after filling, no gas smell now sitting in my garage a couple hours later. (I've had the garage stink of gas after a fuel pump dripped into the filler opening and ran down the drain tube.)
Back seat and trunk interiors look like when I dropped it off.
AutoNation West in Knoxville, if you're interested.

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Dropped the car off on Thursday at 10am. I was told it would be ready by 3:30pm(they had to replace a leaking valve cover gasket as well) but I didn’t get a phone call until 4:40pm. Had a very slight smell of gas inside the car but after a 10 min drive with the windows down it cleared up.

I dropped off the car with low fuel light on and maybe 10 miles of range left.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Just got my car back today. No issues at all. The car seems to be more responsive
Sponsored