KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I set up my recall appointment this afternoon for next Thursday. They acknowledged that the letter states 1.5 hours, but it’s going to be more like 3.5-4. They asked to bring the car with less than half tank and remove anything in the backseats and trunk. When I got the confirmation email it stated I dropping it off and had a ride. I called back and asked if I could get a loaner instead. I was told there weren’t any available, but they would arrange an Enterprise rental on their dime. I got another confirmation email that reflected that.
Sponsored

Deleted member 40377

I dropped my car off 7:30 am Friday. Got a call at 3:30p to say that even though the warranty parts are designated per VIN, one of the techs took my pump for someone else's car. They did not have an extra. Had to wait until Saturday. I have a loaner car so no big deal.

Saturday 10 am, dealer calls, all set. Drop off loaner, get my car. Fuel gauge reads above 1/2 tank (weird, I was almost to 1/4 when I dropped it off). I get home to fill it up, figured about 6-7 gallons. Get back in and the gauge has not moved. I cycle car on and off and still stuck. I call dealer back and they are concerned something wasn't plugged in correctly.

Get back to dealer later Saturday, they can't promise it back fast. I retake my dropped off loaner and go home. 5:30p they call and say that a part and harness that sends the data to gauge was broken by tech. They don't have that part as it's not common stock. Due to Memorial Day weekend, can't get part until Wednesday AM.

Here's hoping they get it done right. Better believe that I'm not leaving right fast and the service writer comes with me to my car and double-checks everything before I go.

Was not the simple fix I was hoping for.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I dropped my car off 7:30 am Friday. Got a call at 3:30p to say that even though the warranty parts are designated per VIN, one of the techs took my pump for someone else's car. They did not have an extra. Had to wait until Saturday. I have a loaner car so no big deal.

Saturday 10 am, dealer calls, all set. Drop off loaner, get my car. Fuel gauge reads above 1/2 tank (weird, I was almost to 1/4 when I dropped it off). I get home to fill it up, figured about 6-7 gallons. Get back in and the gauge has not moved. I cycle car on and off and still stuck. I call dealer back and they are concerned something wasn't plugged in correctly.

Get back to dealer later Saturday, they can't promise it back fast. I retake my dropped off loaner and go home. 5:30p they call and say that a part and harness that sends the data to gauge was broken by tech. They don't have that part as it's not common stock. Due to Memorial Day weekend, can't get part until Wednesday AM.

Here's hoping they get it done right. Better believe that I'm not leaving right fast and the service writer comes with me to my car and double-checks everything before I go.

Was not the simple fix I was hoping for.
Issue is it wouldn't read anything if the connection was broken. My guess is the tech did the same thing I did and had to cover it up..

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
mine ran fine too but when it comes time to sell, you may have an issue with open recall. I just got it done for peace of mind and thankfully they did a good job

Deleted member 40377

Issue is it wouldn't read anything if the connection was broken. My guess is the tech did the same thing I did and had to cover it up..
Well, dealership called and after some awkward explaining that the part was late, they had a back-up of higher priority cars, and something else real lame, said it would definitely be tomorrow. I get it that warranty work takes lower importance, but damn, I just want my car back without any more headaches. Makes me question the quality they are putting into it.

Have then been failures after the new pump was put in? A little too soon to tell at this point...

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I called the dealership today and they ran my VIN and they said, nope you don't need it. I take it there are others who are in the date range but don't need it? ?‍♂

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Well, dealership called and after some awkward explaining that the part was late, they had a back-up of higher priority cars, and something else real lame, said it would definitely be tomorrow. I get it that warranty work takes lower importance, but damn, I just want my car back without any more headaches. Makes me question the quality they are putting into it.

Have then been failures after the new pump was put in? A little too soon to tell at this point...
I have no idea there. They pissed me off so I did my own upgraded pump.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag

Don't think I've heard of any failures, remember this isn't exclusive to the Type R, we are just the most vocal.

I think in this thread someone mentioned a crappy install though and had to go back to have it rectified, but that's probably a one off, considering how many of these they'll have to do, they should be experts by now.

Deleted member 40377

It just keeps getting better.
Got the car back and the service agent did a quick walk around and looked at the interior. All seemed fine but the car was filthy, I mean pollen thickly coatin everything. They couldn't wash it (which is just as well- I'd prefer to do it myeslf) as their car wash is down. Interior was full of dirt as well.

Get home to take care of some bird shit and there are 3 glaring scratches, dents and chips. Not huge but seeing the car was missing them prior makes me angry. Looks like the tech scratched the upper c-pillar. The dent is right above the filler door and there is a small chip on the filler door. I've seen that kind of dent before. When someone was filling it up, they missed they hole and hit the body. Maybe? Sloppy.

The service guy is going to check with the GM to see what the process is and get back to me. Probably going to have me get a quote and corporate will cut a check.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect to get your car back better, if not the same condition, then when you left it with them. Would anybody be ok with less? I sure the hell am not. We'll see how it plays out.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 1622754640263

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 1622754666476

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag

In the real world, "Customer Pay" pays the bills. "Warranty" generally pays just what the job takes to get done and it requires work on the back-end to get paid. Since the dealership doesn't always get paid right away, they have to front the parts (some cases) and labor cost.

That said, it shouldn't make the customer any less important.

As far as errors or mistakes? They happen. Especially with a "new" repair using a procedure that's just been developed.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
I don't think it unreasonable to expect to get your car back better, if not the same condition, then when you left it with them. Would anybody be ok with less? I sure the hell am not. We'll see how it plays out.
Nobody cares about your car as much as you do. Even if it's for regular service/repair and you are paying $100+/hour. That's why it's best to do as much maintenance and repair as you can yourself. But this was recall work so your options were limited.

rayt

First Name
rayt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport sedan 2.0l manual
Country flag
Just got my car back today, and the dealership did a shitty job. I gave them the car with a quarter tank of gas. The job took 3 hrs. I pick the car up everything is fine no smell of gas. I go to the gas station to top off, start smelling gas inside the car. So I'm thinking maybe some spilled when they pulled the pump.

I drive home and as I pull in my driveway the delivery driver behind says to me I think your car is leaking gas I can smell it. I look underneath and sure enough its dripping.

I go back to the dealership this is like at 5 pm so they are getting ready to shutdown, I tell them I smell gas and I see it dripping from underneath, service lady tells me this is normal after this repair is done, but she goes back and talks to the mechanic anyways, she comes back gives me the same runaround answer and tells me to come back if this still persists after a few days.

When I get back home I open it up(removed the back seat and the panel) and sure enough they did not put the locking ring(the ring that locks the pump assembly to the tank) back on properly, there is also gas everywhere. The locking ring has slots and the tank has hooks that slide into the slots, there are like 5 or 6 hooks. Only 3 of the hooks were engaged the ring was sitting on top of the other hooks, so the ring was sitting crooked. Thats why gas spilled everywhere when I topped of at the gas station.

Luckily nothing was damaged (to my knowledge and from what I can see). The connector and hose fittings seemed to be ok. I took the locking ring off and put it back on properly so it engaged all the hooks.

If you have to get this recall done I highly suggest opening your back seat and checking their work.
Sponsored

Last edited: