Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got my fuel pump serviced. In and out in 1 day, no issues at all. Car seems to drive smoother. We'll see how it does out on track again.
Sponsored

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Could having this fuel pump replaced cause an EVAP code?

the_log_ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Add me to the list of owners that are having issues post-recall. Took mine in for the recall service a couple of weeks ago. Car was OK on the same tank of gas following service, but after filling up with a full tank of gas today, car was acting strangely. It would lurch oddly after lifting throttle. Once I got home, gasoline smell was overpowering.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Add me to the list of owners that are having issues post-recall. Took mine in for the recall service a couple of weeks ago. Car was OK on the same tank of gas following service, but after filling up with a full tank of gas today, car was acting strangely. It would lurch oddly after lifting throttle. Once I got home, gasoline smell was overpowering.
What did the dealer say?

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
Car returned to me after 2 days. Fuel smell not remedied, dealer could not find it. Dealer recognizes everything as OKAY.

So far, how I've been able to recreate fuel smell is by parking car in the garage with full tank of gas. Not overfilling, no obvious leaks underneath car.

Fuel smell is not immediate, fuel smell is noticed the next day after sitting the car for the night in closed non-ventilated garage. Fuel smell is ONLY external.

Suspecting EVAP compromised, no check engine though.
Minor update;

Dealer claims I was overfilling tank. My refueling procedure has NOT changed since I have purchased the car. I am not overfilling the tank. Gas smell only occurred after fuel pump recall.

Claimed evidence towards me overfilling is fuel in the EVAP lines. Fuel was removed from EVAP lines, dealer suggests fuel smell will be present for couple of weeks prior to the work that was done.

Car is returned home, tank is about 7/8ths fuel according to dash. Purposely parked in garage to see if gas smell will be present next morning.

No gas smell present despite dealers claim that car will smell of gas for couple weeks (perhaps I did not understand his explanation).

Car not refilled since appointment yet, will update again once car is refilled and has had a chance to sit overnight.

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
I implore you to learn if you can recreate this at will, as well as the circumstances in which causes this (full tank of gas).

Bring it back to dealer and be persistent. Also look for leaks and location of strongest fuel smell.

the_log_ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
What did the dealer say?
Dealer was unable to replicate what I experienced. They attempted to top off the tank as well, and nothing. At the very least they've got my on file.

Minor update;

Dealer claims I was overfilling tank. My refueling procedure has NOT changed since I have purchased the car. I am not overfilling the tank. Gas smell only occurred after fuel pump recall.

Claimed evidence towards me overfilling is fuel in the EVAP lines. Fuel was removed from EVAP lines, dealer suggests fuel smell will be present for couple of weeks prior to the work that was done.

Car is returned home, tank is about 7/8ths fuel according to dash. Purposely parked in garage to see if gas smell will be present next morning.

No gas smell present despite dealers claim that car will smell of gas for couple weeks (perhaps I did not understand his explanation).

Car not refilled since appointment yet, will update again once car is refilled and has had a chance to sit overnight.
Eager to see your updates.

I implore you to learn if you can recreate this at will, as well as the circumstances in which causes this (full tank of gas).

Bring it back to dealer and be persistent. Also look for leaks and location of strongest fuel smell.
Oh, you know I will. I've got every mile and every incident logged with this car.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I recieved the letter but not having any issues ive bin tuned also and no problem the day it does i will do this myself not taking my type r to a place were it will not gat treated the correct way

BearlyPizza

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Keep me posted on their findings. At the moment trying to get back in contact with the dealer.

Get a paper towel wipe up that fluid and sniff it (don't go crazy), I'm going to assume just water I'm 99.01% sure of that, gas would've burned up really quickly and gave you a bunch of back firing.

sorry for the super late reply! Sorry, not Serrramonte honda. Sent it back to Anderson, they did an Evap test and physically checked the installation twice. (this was when my gas tank was half full) and then I filled the tank with gas and they checked it again and did an evap test but they didn't find an issue.

The smell eventually disappeared after the next two refills and hasn't been a problem since.

I just came back from a track day at Laguna Seca without issues either.

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
Dealer was unable to replicate what I experienced. They attempted to top off the tank as well, and nothing. At the very least they've got my on file.

Eager to see your updates.

Oh, you know I will. I've got every mile and every incident logged with this car.
So far, two full fills since I've last updated. The gas smell has NOT returned.

To recap;

After recall work done, refueling created a strong gas smell from rear most of car, presently ONLY externally. For maximum chance of smelling this, car must be in confined space, aka garage, but don't light a match now.

Dealer claimed I was overfilling. I have not changed refill procedure once during entire ownership. Gas was found in EVAP line, dealer claimed this to be source of strong gas smell, very likely this is correct. EVAP line was drained.

Car was then returned to me and I was given the I'm at fault explanation and told to not overfill. Before even bringing my car to them the first time, I explicitly mentioned I do not overfill. Whatever.

Fast forward present day, two refuels have been done, same procedure, no gas smell present. This is good news so far and hoping it does not return.

As far as I am concerned though, the true issue as to why each time I refueled the gas smell was present is lost on me and if the dealer knows, and it was their fault, they do not wish to share that info. I unfortunately do not know enough about fuel tank systems.

sorry for the super late reply! Sorry, not Serrramonte honda. Sent it back to Anderson, they did an Evap test and physically checked the installation twice. (this was when my gas tank was half full) and then I filled the tank with gas and they checked it again and did an evap test but they didn't find an issue.

The smell eventually disappeared after the next two refills and hasn't been a problem since.

I just came back from a track day at Laguna Seca without issues either.
Don't be sorry friend, the info isn't just for me!

That's good. I think a smell for a little while is okay, but how I had it was alarming as there was definitely no end in sight for it and consistency/frequency in occurrences was too much.

Keep driving her hard.

the_log_ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So far, two full fills since I've last updated. The gas smell has NOT returned.

To recap;

After recall work done, refueling created a strong gas smell from rear most of car, presently ONLY externally. For maximum chance of smelling this, car must be in confined space, aka garage, but don't light a match now.

Dealer claimed I was overfilling. I have not changed refill procedure once during entire ownership. Gas was found in EVAP line, dealer claimed this to be source of strong gas smell, very likely this is correct. EVAP line was drained.

Car was then returned to me and I was given the I'm at fault explanation and told to not overfill. Before even bringing my car to them the first time, I explicitly mentioned I do not overfill. Whatever.

Fast forward present day, two refuels have been done, same procedure, no gas smell present. This is good news so far and hoping it does not return.

As far as I am concerned though, the true issue as to why each time I refueled the gas smell was present is lost on me and if the dealer knows, and it was their fault, they do not wish to share that info. I unfortunately do not know enough about fuel tank systems.

Don't be sorry friend, the info isn't just for me!

That's good. I think a smell for a little while is okay, but how I had it was alarming as there was definitely no end in sight for it and consistency/frequency in occurrences was too much.

Keep driving her hard.
If one is just filling up on gas using the handle clip that keeps it pulled, how do you even overfill?

I've been experiencing the same issue every time I fill the car up with fuel. I'm planning to bring it up again with the dealer next week.

So after the car has a full tank of gas, and you come off the line, the car will randomly cut power and you're forced to clutch in to keep the car from jerking back and forth. This happened again just this morning on the way to the Art of Attack CTR meet.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If one is just filling up on gas using the handle clip that keeps it pulled, how do you even overfill?

I've been experiencing the same issue every time I fill the car up with fuel. I'm planning to bring it up again with the dealer next week.

So after the car has a full tank of gas, and you come off the line, the car will randomly cut power and you're forced to clutch in to keep the car from jerking back and forth. This happened again just this morning on the way to the Art of Attack CTR meet.
Sorry to hear of this odd issue… really weird one.

Btw, nice chatting with you at the meet while waiting in line for those hats that sold out ??‍♂, sorry didnt catch your name!
—Brandon

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag

It's not possible to overfill with the gas station auto shut off. You have to actively and knowingly overfill, yet dealership thinks I'm some sort of dumbass.

Final update:

Issue has been fixed*, have not smelled fuel on full tank since retrieving car from last appointment.

I have not, and will not change my refueling method, so the dealership attempting to lay blame on me has only lost them business. Plus other issues with some of my trim panels now; true incompetence.

According to the dealership, EVAP line was the culprit, it was filled with fuel so they drained it. Once drained, smell never came back. If there is an underlying issue that caused this to be present on every full refuel, they either:

- don't know and it will return at some point

- or they got lucky and somehow fixed it without knowing in one of my prior appointments to the last one

Overall, I'm happy that the smell isn't there, am I suspicious? Yes, but I'm not going to let it bug me until it wants to show up again. Plus they screwed up my trim now and that pisses me off too, but I'm not about to go back and tell them as they'd just screw up more.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a Sam's membership so I spend a lot of time waiting and watching people gas up, 90% of the people at the pumps pull the lever at least 3-4 times past the auto cut-off, determined to get as much gas in that tank / or hit the even dollar amount as possible.
Sheeple.
Sponsored