2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far?

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
The fuel door locks with the car doors. And once locked, it blocks the fuel door from closing.
The lock is just a latch, not a deadbolt. I thought mine had a chamfer on it to allow you close it even in the locked position. Even if it doesn't, it's not that hard to reach in under the rubber booted opener and rotate the latch into the open position. It's like pulling on the emergency release inside the trunk. It'll lock again when you lock the doors.

Edit: Now that I've given it some thought, maybe you won't be able to close the door when it auto locks itself with the door open since the latch/hook might over rotate with no door mechanism in the way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Edit: Now that I've given it some thought, maybe you won't be able to close the door when it auto locks itself with the door open since the latch/hook might over rotate with no door mechanism in the way.
It seems like a design issue to me. You shouldn't have to worry about how to close the fuel door. It should just close, regardless of the lock state.

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
It seems like a design issue to me. You shouldn't have to worry about how to close the fuel door. It should just close, regardless of the lock state.
I'll have to take a closer look. I'm not near my car now, or I'd take a picture. I'm running off memory from when I was doing some exploratory investigations last weekend.

Either way, you should still be able to poke your finger in there to unlock it.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Had to read up on that one. So many software features, so little time. No wonder the OM takes 580+ pages.
Lol ya it's tough on the salespeople too. We spent over an hour in the car during delivery, and we barely scratched the surface of all the features.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol ya it's tough on the salespeople too. We spent over an hour in the car during delivery, and we barely scratched the surface of all the features.
I remember when we took delivery at the end of Nov. The salesperson was basically reading the delivery checklist as she showed us stuff. Because of this site, I already knew what was on the checklist and kept pointing out stuff she was missing. I think I was showing her the features.

patty88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I can see it being very annoying (albeit a first world problem ... at least that's what my nephews would tell me). So you're not locking the doors with the keyfob right? You're letting them lock on their own? Next time I get gas, I'll check to see what happens when I use the fob to lock the doors. But normally, I let them lock on their own, and the fuel door stays unlocked until I close it.
Correct. I'm letting them lock on their own.

I was curious so I actually just tried this at home. You can still rotate the little hook even when the car auto locks itself.

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Try pushing the fuel door shut very firmly. It seems to work for me to overcome the lock.

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
Try pushing the fuel door shut very firmly. It seems to work for me to overcome the lock.
I just tried this on my car: press it closed, let it pop back open, then close it again, and it stayed closed. It may depend on the tolerances of the pop-open mechanism and it's position in relation to the hook/latch.

But yeah, just push the latch down with your finger to unlock it.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only had my car for a day now but I've noticed a few additional things:

• When doing voice commands for Siri, the car turns the fan speeds down so that it doesn't interfere with the voice recognition. Nice touch.
  • The LED headlights are SUPER bright and white. What a difference they make over the old orange halogens in my 2006 Civic. Even the turn signals are incredibly bright. I can see all of the reflective surfaces within a large radius light up, including the panels of the traffic lights above the road, when my turn signals are flashing!
  • I didn't get a chance to really check the smoothness of the drive and the road/engine noise during my test drive (since I was testing out the nice stereo system, ha ha) but after driving it for a day I'm pleasantly surprised by how smooth and quiet this thing is. A HUGE improvement over my 2006 Civic. Diving over potholes and train tracks is just buttery!

Dislikes:
  • For some reason, when I hit the home button on my iPhone while it's connected to CarPlay (say to check for a notification or if my passenger wants to use the phone), it turns down the volume of whatever's playing on the stereo by around 50% for some reason, until the screen is locked again. Not sure why it would do that.
  • Siri via Carplay works great, but I tried using the car's built-in voice recognition while in park and it didn't seem to recognize my voice at all. Instead of changing the audio source like I requested, it just thought I was saying a bunch of numbers. Maybe I need to go through the manual again to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Has anyone gotten this to work - i.e. changing the audio source, tuning to a radio station, changing the fan speed, etc. via voice commands?
  • Was not happy with my turbo connector problem as seen here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/computer-meltdown-on-2nd-day-with-touring.2224/ but luckily it was a quick fix and the car is running better than ever now. :)
  • The cup holders are hard plastic with no spring-loaded tabs. I preferred the cup holders on my 2006 civic which had little tabs to hold the glass in place (I'll usually have a glass of water in the car with me) but this one allows the glass to move around and make noise. Not a huge issue, obviously, but I might try to line it with some rubber or something to cut down on the movement and noise. Maybe I can find some of that rubber drawer liner stuff in black and cut it to size.
  • As others have pointed out, make sure you check those rear seat heaters when you get your car. Both of mine were turned on when I picked up my car so who knows how long they would have been like that if I didn't check. I wish there was an auto-off feature for these which activated each time you shut off the engine. Might be something to keep in mind for people with kids too.
Also a question: Is it possible to change the fuel economy units to MPG instead of L/100km for the Canadian cars? I'm more familiar with the MPG values than L/100km but I didn't see anything in the manual.

Of course, overall there are WAY more things to like than dislike, but these are a few extra things I've noticed after owning the car for a day.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Also a question: Is it possible to change the fuel economy units to MPG instead of L/100km for the Canadian cars? I'm more familiar with the MPG values than L/100km but I didn't see anything in the manual.
My guess is if you change it in one setting, it will change everywhere, which may mess up your speedometer. You can play with this, though:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far? upload_2016-3-2_9-42-18

From page 115 in the manual.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks @david1pro I'll try changing it to MPH when I'm in the car next and see if it changes the fuel economy reading to MPG. Of course I can't leave it there while driving on Canadian roads so I was hoping to be able to change the fuel economy units independently from the speedometer, but at least the option would be there if I want to check it quickly. I'll probably just have to memorize the conversion from L/100km - looks like I'll be trying to aim for somewhere in the range of 5.5 and 7.6 L/100km to match the EPA rating of 42 and 31 MPG respectively.

EDIT: I just checked, and changing the speedometer to MPH does change the fuel economy to MPG but I don't see any option to just change the fuel economy units and maintain the km/h for speed. Oh well.

Last edited:

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Biggest disappointment: Knowing Honda will only make a better car, making me want to trade up to it when I really just want to keep a car forever :/

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you recognize and appreciate product improvement. Also sounds like your capable of getting that new car itch. Nothing like a new car in the spring. It truly is one of lifes little pleasures that many may never know. I also want to keep my cars forever but after about 4-7 years that itch becomes a rash.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you recognize and appreciate product improvement. Also sounds like your capable of getting that new car itch. Nothing like a new car in the spring. It truly is one of lifes little pleasures that many may never know. I also want to keep my cars forever but after about 4-7 years that itch becomes a rash.
Except I get the new itch in 1 year lol :/