hsalehi

First Name
Hani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hello, this is a bit tough to explain but I’ll try my best to be as clear as possible. Basically I have 2016 Civic EX that I bought last year with about 70000km on it. After buying it things were fine and my fuel efficiency was great in the summer I was averaging around 5.5 to 6 L/100km and the winter had a slight increase between 6 to 7 L/100km.

However in June I upgraded my tires and rims all factory specs however I noticed my fuel efficiency has completely tanked since then. Now I can’t get the car to consume less than 7.5 L/100km and with todays gas climate using more gas is never good.My car is getting close to 100k km (I’m at about 97.5k now) so Igot my transmission fluid changed and oil changed hoping that would help but sadly it did not. I am not driving the car any differently than I was before and I really doubt the rims and tires are the issue but the fact that The fuel economy dropped so much has me concerned and I wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience or some advice for fixing it.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel economy can be greatly affected by tires depending on size and weight and even the compound used in the tires. Your economy will also drop in cold weather.

OP
OP

hsalehi

First Name
Hani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I get that but I bought the same size tires and rims as my factory ones and I don’t see how that would cause nearly a 2L additional consumption of fuel per every 100km. I would have expected a slight increase but mine seems abnormal or maybe that’s how civics get the older they are

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you had your alignment checked? Could be winter gas already.

OP
OP

hsalehi

First Name
Hani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I did get a wheel alignment when I changed the tires and rims so I should be covered

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Size, Weight, Rolling Resistance, proper inflation all have significant impacts on MPG, I changed wheels and tires 2 and a half years ago and lost about a mile per gallon even though they where the same diameter and weight as OEM, then over winter this past winter I noticed my MPG getting even worse then it normally does in the winter (usually about 1-1.5 MPG drop on winter mix) and when we got back into summer mix I wasn't seeing the MPG I would expect, turned out my tires where all down in the low 20's PSI, bumped them back up where they should be and gained back over a mile per gallon, check your tire pressure monthly or at a minimum the start and end of winter.

OP
OP

hsalehi

First Name
Hani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I haven’t checked tire pressure so I’ll do that maybe that will help but I appreciate the insight

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic lx, 2020 CR-V ex-l
Country flag
I have a 2016 LX and I noticed that my mpg increased as my tires got more and more worn. I was getting 43-45 miles per gallon when my OEM tires were getting bald. After nearly hydroplaning and crashing, I put new tires on, and my mpg dropped to 39-41 miles per gallon. I went with the same size tire but different brand. I chalked it up to me tires weighing significantly more, since they have more tread.
Also check your air intake filter, and you might be due for new spark plugs.
Sponsored