Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport (Sedan)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was going through forum and I found this K&N Cold Air Intake:

https://www.amazon.com/63-3517-Performance-Air-Intake-System/dp/B06ZZRCZ4G

Is there a point buying it? What advantage it might give me? I’m not into racing (well definitely not with my 2.0 CVT ?) but i heard that intake might give me some ‚sporty’ sound (not big difference like replacing exhaust system of course) and improve my engine reliability and sometimes performance.

Is it true? It’s my first car I’m doing any modifications so ‚newbie alert’ :)
Sponsored

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was going through forum and I found this K&N Cold Air Intake:

https://www.amazon.com/63-3517-Performance-Air-Intake-System/dp/B06ZZRCZ4G

Is there a point buying it? What advantage it might give me? I’m not into racing (well definitely not with my 2.0 CVT ?) but i heard that intake might give me some ‚sporty’ sound (not big difference like replacing exhaust system of course) and improve my engine reliability and sometimes performance.

Is it true? It’s my first car I’m doing any modifications so ‚newbie alert’ :)
I don't have this platform (2.0 NA) but I will share my thoughts. You will probably mostly hear an intake will do nothing for you from the general population. I can tell you that on EVERY car platform that I have had an intake on, I have gained hp/tq. Many will say it is an insignificant amount but I have always disagreed and had the data to show the results. But...since you don't race and aren't looking into 'performance' on your CVT.....

As for sound, a short ram intake have always been louder than the stock intake on every car that I have had. Some were louder than others. Good luck!

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't have this platform (2.0 NA) but I will share my thoughts. You will probably mostly hear an intake will do nothing for you from the general population. I can tell you that on EVERY car platform that I have had an intake on, I have gained hp/tq. Many will say it is an insignificant amount but I have always disagreed and had the data to show the results. But...since you don't race and aren't looking into 'performance' on your CVT.....

As for sound, a short ram intake have always been louder than the stock intake on every car that I have had. Some were louder than others. Good luck!
Thank you for answer! Well I’m definitely not into racing but if i get any power gain I’ll take it! Considering my 2.0 is not ‚speed demon’ ? I wonder how noticeable gain it would be, i assume barely or close to nothing on this platform.

I’m more about sound, and ‚helping’ engine a bit to last longer plus I think is easy and affordable mod that i would like to have if it makes any difference (i don’t want to spend over 200$ for nothing).
I might get KTuner at some point but for now is a little bit too much for me due to other expenses (and i just spend ~800$ for new rims).

Reactions: Myx

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for answer! Well I’m definitely not into racing but if i get any power gain I’ll take it! Considering my 2.0 is not ‚speed demon’ ? I wonder how noticeable gain it would be, i assume barely or close to nothing on this platform.

I’m more about sound, and ‚helping’ engine a bit to last longer plus I think is easy and affordable mod that i would like to have if it makes any difference (i don’t want to spend over 200$ for nothing).
I might get KTuner at some point but for now is a little bit too much for me due to other expenses (and i just spend ~800$ for new rims).
i have it on my car (manual) and i installed it to get better sound and at that it makes a good job...performance wise i'd say it's the same really but now at 5000RPM and up the whole dash vibrates and the car sounds like a race car...
i took a video back when i installed it but the sound you can hear my phone is cheap didn't get really good video doesn't really makes it justice to be honest but it sounds A LOT deeper and louder now, but only when you step on it...in normal driving it doesn't change anything:

To me it was worth it as it does what i expected it too...but i've read it's the best intake for the 2.0NA but you need to get your car tuned (Ktuner, custom tune for this intake) if you really want to see the good numbers on a dyno.

Last edited:

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
I have it installed in my car accompanied by a high flow catted downpipe, i installed it to improve my IAT and I have noticed a substantial improvement in performance, in addition to improving gasoline consumption, I was not looking for anything related to sound but is relatively null or non-existent at low RPM, consider the ktunner first and add all the mods that you want step by step.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Many will say it is an insignificant amount but I have always disagreed and had the data to show the results.
That's interesting, because I've seen hundreds of videos and dyno sheets that show a negligible or negative impact for power gains.

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah… adding an intake MAY gain you 5hp…on a cold day. especially without a tune, and usually the reason you gain any HP is because of the tune. So just slapping the intake on a NA civic for $300 you’re just paying for sound. So if that’s what’s important to you then have at it. But don’t expect to feel or notice any difference in power. If you do, it’s all in your head. LoL

supreme604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can find it used on facebook marketplace or craigslist, then go for it. I would not purchase it for full price. It does give the car a deep growl under higher RPMs but other than that I did not notice a difference in performance. The RV6 downpipe (catted) changed the exhaust tone slightly and was a noticeable improvement low-mid range.

You may want to consider the k&n drop in filter that goes in the factory airbox and getting rid of the intake resonator underneath the airbox.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's interesting, because I've seen hundreds of videos and dyno sheets that show a negligible or negative impact for power gains.
Talking from my own experience and dyno sheets. Just Google 'Myxalplyx Dyno' or 'Kevin Thomas Dyno' and you may come up with a few of my dyno sheets. Also, what's 'negligible' is subjective. That's why I've always supplied the car community I have been in with 1/4 mile time and mph. Even on the 1.5ltr platform (Here), there are dyno's that show intake, exhaust, intercooler, etc showing 'negligible' power gains (with a tune). Yet I provide 1/4 mile timeslips that's equal to or better than late model 300hp Type Rs. That's when the silence comes in. ?

I love you guys 2.0 NA engine and would have a blast with it. In all it's 'negligible' power-making glory. ? I'm never one to argue the case. I just think you guys have a cool engine to work with and am supportive of it. Nexus isn't a speed demon so all this is a moot point so. ?

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you guys for all answers! I decided not to get CAI for now, I think I’ll just save money for KTuner, but in the meantime i might get that K&N ‚Drop in’ filter instead (50$ better than 250$ lol) - just a question, will I get that ‚whoosh’ sound with ‚drop in’ filter as well? ? Because i was watching some videos on youtube and some say I will still get it, some that I won’t.

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
Thank you guys for all answers! I decided not to get CAI for now, I think I’ll just save money for KTuner, but in the meantime i might get that K&N ‚Drop in’ filter instead (50$ better than 250$ lol) - just a question, will I get that ‚whoosh’ sound with ‚drop in’ filter as well? ? Because i was watching some videos on youtube and some say I will still get it, some that I won’t.
Absolutely not, at least I never experienced that sound in my car sorry for the bad news.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Talking from my own experience and dyno sheets. Just Google 'Myxalplyx Dyno' or 'Kevin Thomas Dyno' and you may come up with a few of my dyno sheets. Also, what's 'negligible' is subjective. That's why I've always supplied the car community I have been in with 1/4 mile time and mph. Even on the 1.5ltr platform (Here), there are dyno's that show intake, exhaust, intercooler, etc showing 'negligible' power gains (with a tune). Yet I provide 1/4 mile timeslips that's equal to or better than late model 300hp Type Rs. That's when the silence comes in. ?
No google results for either of those, at least on my machine. Just some DC Fandom wiki stuff and Kevin Thomas the transportation manager.

I'm not saying that full bolts on with a tune won't make power. That's foolish. I'm saying that just dropping a "Cold air intake" into a car with no tune makes no difference.

What do you mean you "Provide timeslips better than TypeRs"? Is that with full bolt ons and a tune? Cause that's not what anyone is disputing.

Reactions: Myx

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no, i have one brand new for sale, do not buy doesn't change anything.

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Absolutely not, at least I never experienced that sound in my car sorry for the bad news.

no, i have one brand new for sale, do not buy doesn't change anything.
Thanks guys, that’s what I thought when i was thinking logically about it, since it’s just different air filter, not different intake system, but wanted to confirm from someone more experienced.

Well then problem ‚solved’ - I’ll save money for KTuner, maybe then I’ll get CAI and some new exhaust system but that’s most likely after my warranty ends, for now the car - as my daily drive to work and back - works perfectly fine, sometimes lacks some power on highway but I’m having fun especially with ‚fake’ manual mode (paddle shifters) - passing other cars on higher rev makes me smile, and that what counts ??
Sponsored