SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
I'm a very light user (retired), only about 5 miles / day average. That's only 1828 miles in a year. The oil life indicator will probably be way up there. Seems that a change wouldn't be required, but I think there's a requirement to change every year in any case. Thoughts ? ...
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Maintenance Minder also uses age of oil to calculate life (since last reset) - just follow the thing.

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
Maintenance Minder also uses age of oil to calculate life (since last reset) - just follow the thing.
Well on further thought, I suspect MM will only indicate something like 50%. It's still a long time 'till then. Right now at 338 it says 100%. We'll see.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Well on further thought, I suspect MM will only indicate something like 50%. It's still a long time 'till then. Right now at 338 it says 100%. We'll see.
Your suspicions may or may not be true, just wait until the car tells you to change it, and then change it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm a very light user (retired), only about 5 miles / day average. That's only 1828 miles in a year. The oil life indicator will probably be way up there. Seems that a change wouldn't be required, but I think there's a requirement to change every year in any case. Thoughts ? ...
Page 481 of the owners manual Code A note 1 says change annually if MM doesn't call for a change before then.

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
Page 481 of the owners manual Code A note 1 says change annually if MM doesn't call for a change before then.
Yes of course, the "requirement" is clear, BUT it just seems (to me), that there should be a limit on the annual miles. If I put it in storage for 2 years, I've got to take it out of storage after 1 year, change the oil, and put it back for the 2nd year ?! OK so what if I drive only 500 miles ? How about 1828 miles.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yes of course, the "requirement" is clear, BUT it just seems (to me), that there should be a limit on the annual miles. If I put it in storage for 2 years, I've got to take it out of storage after 1 year, change the oil, and put it back for the 2nd year ?! OK so what if I drive only 500 miles ? How about 1828 miles.
If you're going to just conveniently ignore the actual definition of REQUIREMENT, then why even bother asking?

If you're required to change the oil after a year, then of course you have to pull it out of storage and change the oil. There are additives in oil that break down with time whether or not you run the car. Even if you put 0 miles for a year, engine oil after that year is not going to be the same as it was before. Hence the REQUIREMENT.

For someone who is obsessed with reliability/longevity and warranty, this entire thread is quite ironic.

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
If you're going to just conveniently ignore the actual definition of REQUIREMENT, then why even bother asking?

If you're required to change the oil after a year, then of course you have to pull it out of storage and change the oil. There are additives in oil that break down with time whether or not you run the car. Even if you put 0 miles for a year, engine oil after that year is not going to be the same as it was before. Hence the REQUIREMENT.

For someone who is obsessed with reliability/longevity and warranty, this entire thread is quite ironic.
Sitting unused in a crankcase or in the can it comes in, oil degrades ? Then how come there isn't an expiration date on the can ?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Steve, if your only driving 5 miles a day, I think that's harder on the oil that driving 100 miles a day. Your engine is just barely warming up the internals. That is worse for the oil. Definitely change it after 1 year, or before. I would if it was my car.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Change it after a year Steve. A sealed bottle is different than an engine feerr faaak. Youll be happy to hear that you can use the cheap non synthetic garbage oil in your 2.0 :thumbsup:

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Take public transportation, ride a bicycle or walk...

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
...and don't do an annual 0/20 synthetic OCI either, where your at a 5/30 will be better.

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Steve, if your only driving 5 miles a day, I think that's harder on the oil that driving 100 miles a day. Your engine is just barely warming up the internals. That is worse for the oil. Definitely change it after 1 year, or before. I would if it was my car.
5 miles a day is AVERAGE. Lot's of days it isn't used at all. Most trips it gets to the max normal operating temp and stays there for a time.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
a $20 5/30 Jiffy Lube once a year on that NA 2.0, Honda engines are known to be easy on oil..the 1.5T could be an exception with the added turbo heat and DI.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
5 miles a day is AVERAGE. Lot's of days it isn't used at all. Most trips it gets to the max normal operating temp and stays there for a time.
Still, if I were you, I would take it for a 10 mile drive at around 55mph, just to exercise it, so to speak, at least once every two weeks.
Sponsored