Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I drove my Type R around the neighborhood for a good 1hr at various speeds and rowing up and down through the gears to get familiarized. Didn't drive too much like a maniac. I had to pull over once just so that I could get familiar with the controls. That's when I set the auto rev match to ON because by default I think it was set to OFF. I hope to get some more practice in tomorrow morning when I bring it in for a smog test and hopefully VIN verification a few days from now.

For those who bought out of state, was the MSO provided with the vehicle or did you need to request from the bank? In California, that's the most important doc to have to get verified otherwise it's a no-go.
Sponsored

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
I cramped my left calve muscle trying to back into my slightly inclined carport. That's when I stalled and it was rolling forward.

Need more practice and more leg workouts. ?
Haha! That sounds about right. I tried teaching my wife and she complained how much work her left leg has to do.

Wait it out. 400 miles in for me and Iā€™m so happy I didnā€™t buy my runner-up WRX that was $130/month cheaper.
Yeah, I've been patient but having to call for an update instead of the rep reaching out to me first is rather annoying. And it seems like no one there really cares if they get the car or not. That on top of other dealer markups, I could get a new STI for $37k and some change OTD so its really tempting.

Those dealer incentives mixed with dealer discounts off of msrp makes the STI a good substitute for the CTR. I remember negotiating a 39k msrp STI in the 35k range.
Yeah I've been looking at the same thing. Had two dealers near me reach out with offers. One for 38.2k OTD and one for 37.7k OTD or thereabouts, both @ 0.9% for 48 months or 1.9% for 60 months. I'm mostly highway miles so mpg doesn't matter to me. I'll probably give it a few more weeks to see if they get the car in or work on another Type R. Once I've exhausted those options I'll just snag an STi.

JustinR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Joyce Koons Honda in Virgina wants +7k for a black ctr. GTFO. Not even for a boost blue will anyone jump at that.
Thatā€™s absurd. I got my black CTR for MSRP. All I did was ask once and put down a $500 deposit since it was still en route.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
Thatā€™s absurd. I got my black CTR for MSRP. All I did was ask once and put down a $500 deposit since it was still en route.
At Joyce Koons? I'm not in the market for black but I just wanted to fuck with them because of that horse shit asking price and said I would only pay msrp for it. Salesman said he would run by the manager. I never got a call back.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drove my Type R around the neighborhood for a good 1hr at various speeds and rowing up and down through the gears to get familiarized. Didn't drive too much like a maniac. I had to pull over once just so that I could get familiar with the controls. That's when I set the auto rev match to ON because by default I think it was set to OFF. I hope to get some more practice in tomorrow morning when I bring it in for a smog test and hopefully VIN verification a few days from now.

For those who bought out of state, was the MSO provided with the vehicle or did you need to request from the bank? In California, that's the most important doc to have to get verified otherwise it's a no-go.
Tuck,
Rev matching is interesting. I can match downshifts fine but it uses a few Less brain cells. Using RM makes it worry free though, easier.

Try different modes and youā€™ll notice in Comfort itā€™s not as aggressive, in +R more aggressive.

if you havenā€™t yet played with brake hold itā€™s another I can do this for you aspect. Once on, you wonā€™t move until clutch engages Moving forward. Braking Is persistent so stop and go traffic is less engaging so you can do things like text and drive (just kidding, donā€™t do that).

WRT buying out of state, got it all done by selling dealer in GA for FL registration. Local tax collector/tag office calls couple weeks later and says title is here, pay tag, the selling dealer paid state tax (varies by county) collected at purchase.

Get comfy and more confident over time. Even a stock R is quite an impressive angry dragon wound out in 3rd gear.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
At Joyce Koons? I'm not in the market for black but I just wanted to fuck with them because of that horse shit asking price and said I would only pay msrp for it. Salesman said he would run by the manager. I never got a call back.
Sales people over the phone/email will more likely give you ridiculous marked up price. From what I have been told, dealers expect you to come in and negotiate. This is annoying but unfortunately the game they play. Also you should talk directly to the sales managers because they are the ones that decide sales prices

If you are looking for a BB at MSRP, it's gonna be a rough ride. STi might be a good alternative to CTR. They are easy to find if buyers want to test drive.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Congrats. Haven't driven a stick since my 95 gsr. It'll all comeback. Post pix when u get a chance.
Tuck,
Rev matching is interesting. I can match downshifts fine but it uses a few Less brain cells. Using RM makes it worry free though, easier.

Try different modes and youā€™ll notice in Comfort itā€™s not as aggressive, in +R more aggressive.

if you havenā€™t yet played with brake hold itā€™s another I can do this for you aspect. Once on, you wonā€™t move until clutch engages Moving forward. Braking Is persistent so stop and go traffic is less engaging so you can do things like text and drive (just kidding, donā€™t do that).

WRT buying out of state, got it all done by selling dealer in GA for FL registration. Local tax collector/tag office calls couple weeks later and says title is here, pay tag, the selling dealer paid state tax (varies by county) collected at purchase.

Get comfy and more confident over time. Even a stock R is quite an impressive angry dragon wound out in 3rd gear.
Thanks for the write up my friend! You're probably the most enthusiastic member here. I have lots to learn from this vehicle, intimidated yet eager to learn more from it and from all of your feedbacks. Greatly and truly appreciate it! I need to go and do a quick wash, driver it around for a little bit then smog it this morning. Left calve still sore though. ?

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Thanks for the write up my friend! You're probably the most enthusiastic member here. I have lots to learn from this vehicle, intimidated yet eager to learn more from it and from all of your feedbacks. Greatly and truly appreciate it! I need to go and do a quick wash, driver it around for a little bit then smog it this morning. Left calve still sore though. ?
Donā€™t forget to add your new ride to your list of vehicles. Itā€™s official.

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R-39517, 2014 Mazda 6
Country flag
Congrats!!! I know you have to be excited as all hell!

On another note: I wish I could say the same for me. I'm still waiting for mine to get to the dealership but no one knows where it is. I've been calling for updates for over a week. I figured I'd reach out to some other dealers and all of them are either 3k+ over MSRP or they're pre-sold. At this point I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on an STI since that was my runner up anyway.

We are literally on the same boat bro.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Registering this new R in CA is a pain in the butt. VIN Verification (needs MSO) + smog test required. Can anyone confirm if a smog test on a new vehicle needs to be done? Thanks!

This is a minor setback and worth the trouble and surely not worth paying markup for so that the dealer can do it for you.

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Registering this new R in CA is a pain in the butt. VIN Verification (needs MSO) + smog test required. Can anyone confirm if a smog test on a new vehicle needs to be done? Thanks!

This is a minor setback and worth the trouble and surely not worth paying markup for so that the dealer can do it for you.

I believe someone posted on here before that he bought his R out-of-state and took it to smog immediately before going to DMV, you have 2 weeks to do all those. Smog is needed because of certain laws CA has which is not applicable to other states I believe. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but afaik that is what needs to be done.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe someone posted on here before that he bought his R out-of-state and took it to smog immediately before going to DMV, you have 2 weeks to do all those. Smog is needed because of certain laws CA has which is not applicable to other states I believe. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but afaik that is what needs to be done.
I took it in this morning to a buddy of mine and right off the bat when he plugged in the OBD2 it showed some status where the vehicle was not ready to be smogged. He quickly told me it was too new and that it hasn't collected a lot of data yet since it only has 27 miles. Then he mentioned that I needed to do perform an OBDII drive cycle in order for car to pass test. Said to put at least 100 miles on it and drive it up/down highway before going back for a test. I ordered for myself one of those Bluetooth OBD2 scanners so that I can plug in myself and prep the car before going back to him.

Only paid 23 bucks for this thing but has great reviews on Amazon.

We have a local VIN verification service who can go and meet you to verify the VIN instead of going to the DMV and trying to get an appointment. That's the other reason why I need an MSO for verification.

JustinR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
No. Sorry if Iā€™ve confused you. Mine was from a dealer near Pittsburgh.

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stay away from Northwest Honda, salesguy was telling us that they have one that has a carbon fiber package that costs 5k on top of MSRP and they only made 200 of those. They are literally lying to people that already know the car.

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
Super excited! Picked up my R yesterday. Car killed right before the gas station which gave me the rev match system error because it completely ran out of gas. Pushed it to the gas station, about 25 feet or so, put gas in it and everything was fine. I also had it checked this morning at the Honda dealership so it's all good.

The dealership did exactly as I asked and left every piece of tape on it so this was a first for me. God I love that new car smell!

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Type-R  Over sticker dealer naughty list. 2020-09-10 16.44.00
Sponsored