Si Shifter Feel vs Type R shifter feel

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed my Type R shifter and Acuity bushing today. Wow, what a difference. The shifter is so much smoother and the clunk/crunch is now gone.
Sponsored

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
I swapped my SI shifter with the type r, it is shorter, but not too short. For me it's just right I don't feel I need more. Centering spring, they say it's same as SI but mine feels quite a bit stiffer, all around the shifter is stiffer in the right way. The crunch is there still, although it's bee .Significantly reduced. The knob sits slightly lower. Over all, worth the work I put in to install. I didn't like the idea of using acuitys extender, it just seemed a bit much. The type r shifter really made a difference. I'm happy. I also did the base bushings, not the acuity ones I used caraddicts home Depot version with washers. The end result is the same.

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I swapped my SI shifter with the type r, it is shorter, but not too short. For me it's just right I don't feel I need more. Centering spring, they say it's same as SI but mine feels quite a bit stiffer, all around the shifter is stiffer in the right way. The crunch is there still, although it's bee .Significantly reduced. The knob sits slightly lower. Over all, worth the work I put in to install. I didn't like the idea of using acuitys extender, it just seemed a bit much. The type r shifter really made a difference. I'm happy. I also did the base bushings, not the acuity ones I used caraddicts home Depot version with washers. The end result is the same.
Ive seen that video about the washers and was thinking of doing that with my ctr shifter. I also remember someone on here said they used one more or one less washer than the video said, i cant remember right off. What size and qty of washers did you use?

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
Ive seen that video about the washers and was thinking of doing that with my ctr shifter. I also remember someone on here said they used one more or one less washer than the video said, i cant remember right off. What size and qty of washers did you use?
U can add one steel one that's all I added. Honestly it's a lot less complicated once you pull out the shifter. Just use what he said to use in video. I like my new type r shifter with these diy bushings. It does stiffen things but u feel more. Hard to explain.

natice04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic type R, 2016 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
Never driven a type R, but I’ve rowed through the gears while sitting in one at the local dealership and I didn’t notice much of a difference. Maybe while driving one, there could be a difference?
I also haven’t noticed a “crunchiness” during shifting. The only suggestion I have is to row through the gears while the car is on, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and it makes getting into reverse easier. Other than that, pumping the clutch a couple of times at a stand-still might help.

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
can anyone confirm that the type r shifter is a direct bolt onto the non type R civics without modifications?

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
be sure to note the 2016-2019 Type R shifter is NOT the same as a 2020 Type-R shifter, the 2020 shifter is lower overall in the top half, where the ball itself mounts.

Edit: be sure if your buying used, that year difference is noted before purchasing.
i also believe the Type R shifters are not allowed to use short throw adaptors as it would damage the shifter cable itself bending too far

This is my 2020 Type R shifter with stage 2 kit from Acuity - notice the top portion how the threads go all the way down to the S bend while on other shifters it does not

Honda Civic 10th gen Si Shifter Feel vs Type R shifter feel IMG_20200521_184259

Last edited:

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
@Alphaskoom
Thanks for that insight.
Trying to understand your point on the shifter difference between 2020 and non 2020s...

Is the difference of the threads not going low enough just mean that the height of the shifter knob (once screwed on) is different?

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just by new honestly - its like 35 dollars directly from honda.. unless a used one pops up with acuity or other mods youd like

Far as the differences the 2020 is a tad shorter throw, than previous years , AND a lower overall shifter height.. i dont know the dimensions specifically, theres other forum posts on here talking about specifics, one or two with rulers too

Earlier Type R model

that post was a non 2020 type R shifter

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
thanks.
actually im asking cuz im looking at a rarer brand that people on this forum use.

call me crazy but i'm looking at this:
https://cae-racing.de/CAE-Ultra-Shifter_5772

and wondering if anyone here is running this/ installed this (on a Si) haha.

Ah! i totally see what you mean now
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Shifter Feel vs Type R shifter feel 1592524605805

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh wow that's certainly something geared for racing by far, well beyond my price point id be willing to do.

Edit: i would certainly make a new post regarding whether or not anyone has that shifter or not.. it would get more attention than this post will regarding that product

Last edited:

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
thanks.
actually im asking cuz im looking at a rarer brand that people on this forum use.

call me crazy but i'm looking at this:
https://cae-racing.de/CAE-Ultra-Shifter_5772

and wondering if anyone here is running this/ installed this (on a Si) haha.

Ah! i totally see what you mean now
1592524605805.png

Did you end up getting the CAE shifter? I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger on one.