Turbo vs VTEC feel

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
I'm speculating here, but your lack of comfort on the curves might relate to lack of feedback through the electrically-assisted steering. Even though my TSX has vastly superior chassis dynamics than my old SAAB, the numb steering (especially on-center) makes me feel less comfortable with some maneuvers, like high speed lane changes. If you can't feel anything through the wheel, you might have a tendency to lift a little.
Its not what I feel, or don't feel, in the wheel. It's what I feel in the car... too much body roll compared to the 03. I googled this morning and found someone on the driveaccord forums making the exact same comparison - their gen 9 Accord's handling, specifically its lean, compared to their gen 7. Ah well. If I keep the Accord maybe I look into springs? sway bars? Something to stiffen it. Maybe.

On a side note, my purpose for this thread might soon be moot anyway. Dropped the Accord off for a quick warranty repair (headlight retaining water) last night and sat in a civic hatch lx on their show room. I'm 6'4. Once I lowered the seat all the way I had headroom. But picking up this morning I sat in a touring. I believe I lowered that seat all the way. Head was touching.

As a tall guy I'd pay extra to skip the moonroof.
Sponsored

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
^^Yes, excessive roll can be a buzzkill, as it was in our 1995 Jetta GLX VR6. I couldn't believe VW used such a soft suspension on the performance model. Once it took a set in a curve, it was stable, but I spent serious cash on suspension mods before it settled into proper handling balance. The first try was a disaster, but I got great results with Neuspeed SoftSport springs and upper front strut tower brace, and Bilstein shocks. With those, it felt like a FWD BMW E46 with Sport Package.

You could try a front strut tower brace. It's a really cheap mod that stiffens the front end, which increases stability and sharpens turn-in. Even our 2010 Ford Fusion, which is definitely NOT a sport sedan, has decent handling now that I've added one. It won't kill the roll though. For that you'd need stiffer springs and dampers.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Yes to this and your other points, but, in addition, CR undoubtedly didn't drive their Si solely on Honda's proving grounds and what appear in the vids to be very smooth roads. IMO, this is a huge reason to question press drive opinions about ride quality -- wait until the journos drive it around Detroit in March! CR's headquarters are in CT, so their roads experience real winters, and if they're like ours here in Philly, they could still have some nasty potholes.
CR thinks the Accord V6 is firm. For them, a Lexus ES is the gold standard of how a car should behave. Enthusiasts they are not. From their road test of the Accord:
Bumps are well absorbed and isolated, and not transferred to the cabin occupants. However, short and quick motions make the ride less comforting than it could be. On the highway the ride is mostly composed, but marred a bit by short pitches. The slightly stiffer ride in the V6 EX-L is likely due to its lower-profile tires.
The EX-L V6 has 55-profile tires; they think that a 55-series tire is contributing to a stiff ride. Of course they're going to think the Si rides poorly.

Psy-q

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ Spor-tech manual.
K20 Race car engine any day over this economy minded, uninspired, chocked from the factory, kinda peaky, not good sounding little thing. Thank you.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Its not what I feel, or don't feel, in the wheel. It's what I feel in the car... too much body roll compared to the 03. I googled this morning and found someone on the driveaccord forums making the exact same comparison - their gen 9 Accord's handling, specifically its lean, compared to their gen 7. Ah well. If I keep the Accord maybe I look into springs? sway bars? Something to stiffen it. Maybe.

On a side note, my purpose for this thread might soon be moot anyway. Dropped the Accord off for a quick warranty repair (headlight retaining water) last night and sat in a civic hatch lx on their show room. I'm 6'4. Once I lowered the seat all the way I had headroom. But picking up this morning I sat in a touring. I believe I lowered that seat all the way. Head was touching.

As a tall guy I'd pay extra to skip the moonroof.
Roll doesn't effect max cornering ability though it does make it slower in transitions (autocross, double lane change). It is more a driver preference thing. Softer springs are actually better for traction. You only need stiff springs if you are lowering car. Otherwise if you don't like the amount of roll you can just get stiffer anti-roll bars.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
K20 Race car engine any day over this economy minded, uninspired, chocked from the factory, kinda peaky, not good sounding little thing. Thank you.
Sure, if you don't want to make any torque, and want to rev to 7k to get out of your own way

Slyclone

Gen X for Gen Xer
First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe PWP(pick up Mar 20, 2019), 2016 Honda Fit EX-L 6M CBP(outgoing), 2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe TW(leased), 1993 Honda Civic CX Hatchback(sold)
Vehicle Showcase
With Vtec, you would get a noise on cold starts. (Actuator) With turbo, the noise is history. End of story. I got to test drive the Si yesterday. It is heaven! Will buy it next June!
Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo vs VTEC feel 20170602_142332
Sponsored