Traffic driving dynamics

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Okay so I've had my Si for 3 weeks now and currently clocking right around 1330 miles, still getting to know her a bit. I took it to work for the first time a few days ago and on my way back got stuck in pretty slow stop and go traffic which required a lot of first gear crawling paces. I did notice that my car seems to "surge" a lot in first gear, in layman's terms, a lot of "herky jerky" movements when crawling in first. It seems to really not like being in that gear at those slow speeds. Now coming from a 2015 naturally aspirated Si I didn't have that issue being in first gear in stop and go traffic (maybe a little but very manageable and not at all this bad), so I wonder if its normal and just the turbo engine being a turbo engine (first turbo car). Does anybody else experience this mostly first gear, and sometimes second gear herky jerky movements at slow traffic-like speeds?
Sponsored

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
What type of gasoline are you running? 91 pump octane (95 RON)? You're not in Sport mode?
91 pump octane without sport mode

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Last edited:

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag

Cheesus_Si

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Country flag
Okay so I've had my Si for 3 weeks now and currently clocking right around 1330 miles, still getting to know her a bit. I took it to work for the first time a few days ago and on my way back got stuck in pretty slow stop and go traffic which required a lot of first gear crawling paces. I did notice that my car seems to "surge" a lot in first gear, in layman's terms, a lot of "herky jerky" movements when crawling in first. It seems to really not like being in that gear at those slow speeds. Now coming from a 2015 naturally aspirated Si I didn't have that issue being in first gear in stop and go traffic (maybe a little but very manageable and not at all this bad), so I wonder if its normal and just the turbo engine being a turbo engine (first turbo car). Does anybody else experience this mostly first gear, and sometimes second gear herky jerky movements at slow traffic-like speeds?
happens to me too

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Mine is the same as well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
Does anybody else experience this mostly first gear, and sometimes second gear herky jerky movements at slow traffic-like speeds?
Mine was the same way, however, after flashing a ktuner tune on it with rev-hang disabled and throttle padding set to medium, I no longer have this issue. The factory tune is pretty far off for drive ability at throttle tip in.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I haven't noticed an issue with low-speed first gear driving. Maybe you're still getting used to the super-light clutch and throttle? My previous daily driver was very similar, so switching to the Si was not a big learning curve.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm gonna file this under seat → steering wheel/pedals interface error

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads