Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Anyone try turning the a/c off yet? I noticed there's no jerkiness in 1st gear with it off

2Smoker119

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2008 Accord v6
Country flag
+3 here. I have been driving a manual exclusively for 12 years. It is definitely something to get used to. I feel like I am smoking the clutch in this thing.

I have noticed the surging/jerk in other gears too. Try 2nd or 3rd, barely coasting. Try to feather the throttle from nothing to barely anything. It is virtually impossible to do it smoothly. There is always a jerk. I has the be throttle related.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Is there a quality aftermarket clutch or yet for the Si?
If so I may just drive it like I don't care and once the factory clutch goes it will give be an excuse to upgrade

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The problem appears to be directly related to how the drive-by-wire curve is configured.
Would it be fair to say this was never an issue prior to electronic throttle applications?

Its been a while since I've driven an older car but I don't remember all this herky jerky mess with the throttle cable in old cars I've driven. And rev hang isn't even possible without the electronic throttle!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Would it be fair to say this was never an issue prior to electronic throttle applications?

Its been a while since I've driven an older car but I don't remember all this herky jerky mess with the throttle cable in old cars I've driven. And rev hang isn't even possible without the electronic throttle!
I've haven't driven a manual in the last 30 years that was smooth when pressing and releasing the throttle at creep speeds. It's just what happens when you're going slow in a manual because power is flowing directly from the engine to the wheels. There's no slipping torque converter to smooth things out. This combined with aggressive throttle mapping to make engines feel more powerful than they really are at slower speeds makes smooth driving challenging.

Actually, rev hang is very possible without electronic throttle control. Before ETC, it was done using the IAC valve. My brother bought a new '03 Focus that was one example. :)

coulow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan, 2005 Element EX
I've haven't driven a manual in the last 30 years that was smooth when pressing and releasing the throttle at creep speeds. It's just what happens when you're going slow in a manual because power is flowing directly from the engine to the wheels. There's no slipping torque converter to smooth things out. This combined with aggressive throttle mapping to make engines feel more powerful than they really are at slower speeds makes smooth driving challenging.

Actually, rev hang is very possible without electronic throttle control. Before ETC, it was done using the IAC valve. My brother bought a new '03 Focus that was one example. :)
Only comparison I have is the 2004 Jetta GLI. That did not have the rev hang, nor jerky 1st gear when in traffic/cruising parking lot. I'm approaching 1000 miles on my 2017, and first Turbo.

Seriously though, would KTuner help out? Or, I just join the other guy and burn the clutch for an upgrade later. :)

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag

Its been a while since I've driven an older car but I don't remember all this herky jerky mess with the throttle cable in old cars I've driven.
It's been a long while for me as well so it might have been smoother in older non-drive-by-wire cars, but I definitely remember that backing up in a refined manner has always been nearly impossible without fairly heavy use of clutch.

Aldoraine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Honestly, it seems like most of you just need to get to know the car, and the sensitivity of the on/off throttle switch for the drive-by-wire throttle. I'll admit, this car is much more sensitive, and harder to drive smoothly in 1st gear at a crawl than my previous Si, and other cars.. I struggled the first week or so, but you really have to get a feel for barely pressing on the throttle to avoid the cut and jerk. Sport mode actually helps a lot for 1st gear crawls, it seems to up the throttle response, and make's it easier to input just the right amount of throttle to avoid the jerk. You can feel when it's about to cut and jerk, just smooth in on the clutch, and back out again. I will say that the low % throttle response improved greatly with an air intake. There seemed to be a bit of a "lag" when trying to ease on just a little bit of throttle for first gear crawls, the intake smoothed this out completely. The A/C being on does seem to make it a bit worse as well.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
What your saying is to ride the clutch more

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I've experienced this on my test drive and it was enough of a hassle to just not bother buying an SI. Even though I already have ktuner and can remedy this as soon as it's purchased.

Holding out for a Type-R or a used 370z (has terrible drivetrain slop though) instead.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So this problem was so bad in the Si that you didn't buy it, but waiting for Type R? You really think CTR will have a smoother first gear?
He probably just wants the CTR more for bragging reasons :p I had the option to buy the 370. 2015 with 8k kms on the clock half of what I paid for the Si in mint condition. Hated the looks and the paddles. Be prepared to pay at the gas station v6 engine rear wheel with 300+ whp lol. I wouldn't be able to keep my foot of the gas. 350z looks over the 70z all day long

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I wonder if the K20 (base Civic) is as jerky?
Sponsored