So who else turns traction control off when there's snow?

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Ok so I'm not the only one.
Do you have a button do deactivate it on the go or do you need to do the killer combo before driving?
The VSA off button is on the left side of the steering wheel (number 10 in the pic).

Honda Civic 10th gen So who else turns traction control off when there's snow? Capture.PNG
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Is VSA the same as traction control?

Seems to be a lot of work to deactivate it, have to stop the car, press maybe 6-8 button to disable it. Is this right?

For all the cars that I owned, there is only one step to deact/act traction control.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
I turn it complete off ... it does allow better traction for my winter tires when the wheels are allowed to spin then hooks to the snow ....
The vsa is way too conservative in the snow I have no power to go over hills or flat road

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hold the VSA button for a few seconds anytime to deactivate/activate traction control. Honda just calls traction control VSA, and the actual VSA (ESC) can only be completely disabled on the Si and Type R through a sequence of buttons.
Ok just turning the TC/VSA/Whatever by holding the VSA Button didn't work. I needed to disable the actual VSA to make it up the hill.
I'll give it another try tonight after work with just the button and see if that helps.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
We rarely have to disable TC (VSA) to get going in snow - but all you have to do is push and hold the button until you hear the beep. It can be done anytime the car is running; it resets when you turn the car off or restart the engine, or you can push and hold the button until is beeps again.

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tried it again yesterday evening and purposefully took a route with a hill. It's definitely the VSA that kicks in and slows the car down on a steep incline with snow. Turning off TC did not really do anything. Up shifting made me gain a bit more traction so I was able to make it up but very slowly.

If anyone if curious of the hill I went up this morning:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4919...4!1sq71wTcAHW4WoKDUUIydSPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And at night:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4871...XFD_Vdpa9YKC4xbdaEKA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
We rarely have to disable TC (VSA) to get going in snow - but all you have to do is push and hold the button until you hear the beep. It can be done anytime the car is running; it resets when you turn the car off or restart the engine, or you can push and hold the button until is beeps again.
Tried it this morning and the one button successfully turn the TC on and off.
So, what is the business to turn it off using the brake and e-brake sequence?

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tried it this morning and the one button successfully turn the TC on and off.
So, what is the business to turn it off using the brake and e-brake sequence?
That trick is completely disable the stability control... The quick press to disable the TC only works up to 20 mph.. Any speed beyond that and the TC and stability control will still kick in... The ebrake and brake sequence disables it fully

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
That trick is completely disable the stability control... The quick press to disable the TC only works up to 20 mph.. Any speed beyond that and the TC and stability control will still kick in... The ebrake and brake sequence disables it fully
Thanks for the clarification.
This makes sense, we only need to disable TC at low speed in real life driving. I would use it in launch in snow, much like starting the car in 2nd gear.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try going up hill in Minnesota in the winter and see why you need to defeat vsa completely ... the vsa is too obtrusive and kills power and any hope of making it up hill ...

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I wouldn’t know if my cvt is broken because my civic is a 6 speed manual... and I have blizzaks but that’s not doing any enough when the vsa is keeps getting in my way .. I feel way more confident when vsa is off

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
When we got slammed with our first big snowfall in Edmonton, I found that turning VSA off in my sport touring 6MT hatch allowed me to get going from stops a lot easier, as well as going up hills. I would turn it back on though in long curving roads like cloverleafs where I could feel the car want to overseer, which was nice. My previous Civic couple without traction control would always understeer in snowy turns; although, keep in mind that the Agile Handling Assist in these new Hondas helps a lot too!
Sponsored