Traction Control

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
If someone pressed the VSA off to get better traction in the snow, and it turned off stability control as you seem to think it does, and they spun out and crashed, you can bet they'd sue Honda.

It works exactly as it does in all other car makers. Stability control becomes more forgiving, traction control is off, but the safety net is still on. The manual explains this, not very well, but if you know how to read it's understandable.
This is correct. In the my acceleration vid below, you'll see that engine power still gets cut on the 1-2 shift despite it being switched "off." The speed subsequently drops by a few mph as a result. Too much power for the stock tires hehe.

Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
as I understad the Honda will flash a bulb when the system is on and activates during a correction.
Definitely flashes the icon when its cutting throttle cause of front tire spin. But I'm not sure it flashes when stability control is stepping in. Havent had any chances to test out trying to spin the car.

With traction control off, mine does not cut the throttle at all, you can spin the tires as much as you want.

aydingokce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic HB 1.5 Sport CVT
just pushing the vsa button to off only turns off traction control under 20mph

To fully disable it. do this

1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control on and off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on
7. Turn traction control on and off
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control on and off
10. Traction control light should be solid and another light blinking
Is this for manual or CVT? If this also holds for CVT, in which position should the CVT's selector be?

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
just pushing the vsa button to off only turns off traction control under 20mph

To fully disable it. do this

1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control on and off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on
7. Turn traction control on and off
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control on and off
10. Traction control light should be solid and another light blinking
I did a Screen Capture of this and crop/resized the image down. Then, I used the JPEG as an option for my wallpaper on the head unit! That way, if i'm at an autocross event and need the procedure I can call it up whenever I want because it's stored inside the car :D When done, I just switch it back to my other wallpaper :)

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I did a Screen Capture of this and crop/resized the image down. Then, I used the JPEG as an option for my wallpaper on the head unit! That way, if i'm at an autocross event and need the procedure I can call it up whenever I want because it's stored inside the car :D When done, I just switch it back to my other wallpaper :)
I spent like 30 minutes practicing the procedure incase I ever turn my car off at an autox event. It isn't that hard after you have done it a couple of times, but it can be a hassle if you need to remember to do it every single run.

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
I spent like 30 minutes practicing the procedure incase I ever turn my car off at an autox event. It isn't that hard after you have done it a couple of times, but it can be a hassle if you need to remember to do it every single run.
My first event was yesterday. If I don't have it, i'll probably forget part of it or reverse some of it. I'm admittedly bad at stuff like that. :oops:

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but I didn't see anyone mention how to maneuver when you've lost traction. First thing you do when you lose traction is let go of the gas, steer the direction you want to go and do not oversteer. If you're not regaining traction, LIGHTLY gas in the direction you want to go, for maybe a second or less. Do not hit the brake until you've regained traction and even then do it lightly. If you need to hit the brake in an emergency, line your car up so that it's in a straight down the road and lightly brake. This will allow your car the distance needed to regain traction if the brakes lock up on ice. Traction control system does this automatically for you if it defects wheel spin and people always get themselves into accidents when they brake too hard on slippery conditions or when they oversteer around corners. Never exceed 40mph EVER if you know there's black ice on the road. Where you see one patch there will be more.

Hopefully other people see this reply and get the actual helpful knowledge that nobody else contributed.

Bojan2020SI

First Name
Bojan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic SI
Country flag
Dose LSD have anyting to do with TC?
wish I could turn TC completely off for one and all!
Sponsored