Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far)

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
I noticed a completely vertical crack today on the stock glass of my fog lamp, with a tiny rock chip right in the middle. (It's so straight I had to run my fingernail over it a couple times to determine it was truly a crack and not part of the lens.) The lamp still works but pretty sure it's just a matter of time before moisture gets inside. If I cover this with clear film, I suppose I should do both to avoid differences -- less concerned about output but want to avoid being that oncoming car with a bad light.

Can one put a film on a crack like this -- or am I looking at replacing the lens (or maybe the assembly)?
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far) {filename}
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far) {filename}
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tfgoetz/43381755285
Sponsored

elijahw

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Bump. Wondering the same thing. Is this covered by warranty?

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I noticed a completely vertical crack today on the stock glass of my fog lamp, with a tiny rock chip right in the middle. (It's so straight I had to run my fingernail over it a couple times to determine it was truly a crack and not part of the lens.) The lamp still works but pretty sure it's just a matter of time before moisture gets inside. If I cover this with clear film, I suppose I should do both to avoid differences -- less concerned about output but want to avoid being that oncoming car with a bad light.

Can one put a film on a crack like this -- or am I looking at replacing the lens (or maybe the assembly)?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tfgoetz/43381755285
I would have said to buy Lamin-x film (you can choose color). It's a MUST have, otherwise it's just a matter of time till it cracks. Your crack is larger than the Lamin-x film. It's up to you if you want to replace it or take a chance on covering it and risk condensation. Here's what I'm talking about.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far) Screenshot_20180827-092221

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No real point in covering a cracked lens. It's just a band aid fix and will get moisture in sooner or later. I'd look at one of the many options to replace the foglight but OEM is prob going to be the last one you'd want due to price.

OP
OP
SpringRubber

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies and good info. An OEM fog lamp assembly (1 side) looks to be around $50. But the Lamin-x film is just $15 to cover both lens. (Or $10 if one wants to go with pink.) I know it will be sticking a band-aid on the cracked lens but until I figure upon a replacement, now I want some protection on the left side fog so I'm going to order some film.

I know rocks are road hazards but in hindsight I wish I had put some $15 protection on the fogs. I only have 4K miles after 8 months - and 90% of this is around town driving.

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you choose to replace, I will NOT go OEM (pricey). I definitely would go with this led lamp, then get Lamin-x for protection. But this is just my personal taste.

View attachment 112885

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far) Screenshot_20180827-215832

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies and good info. An OEM fog lamp assembly (1 side) looks to be around $50. But the Lamin-x film is just $15 to cover both lens. (Or $10 if one wants to go with pink.) I know it will be sticking a band-aid on the cracked lens but until I figure upon a replacement, now I want some protection on the left side fog so I'm going to order some film.

I know rocks are road hazards but in hindsight I wish I had put some $15 protection on the fogs. I only have 4K miles after 8 months - and 90% of this is around town driving.
If you're keeping your fog lights, you can buy some glass resin to fill the glass to prevent moisture. It's basically a sealant. I promise you, this kit will save you a possible costly windshield repair. Works really well. Then you can put the lamin-x over.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I film a cracked fog lens on sport hatch - lamp is ok (so far) Screenshot_20180827-220452

Last edited:

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I just found that my passenger side fog light lens is cracked, but the bulb still works. I discovered this while washing my car, so there is some water inside the housing now. Is it okay for me to keep using the same bulb, but just change the cover? Or is the entire fog light assembly (bulb and lens) needing to be replaced?

Last edited:

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I saw a video of a Type R's fog light getting replaced and they didn't have to remove the front bumper! If only the sport touring was like that!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
For those wanting to get the laminex film I'd suggest getting a sheet as opposed to the precut ones. I just added yellow fill to my fog lights using the precut stuff and it doesn't go all the way to the glass edge of the lens. Get the sheet cut it in half, install half on the center of the lens and start smoothing from center out. I used a hair dryer to help smooth it out and to get it to adhere. Then you just trim.

Lovic87

First Name
Lovic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Sport CVT '18 GTI SE 6MT
Country flag
Discovered a crack in the left fog on my wife's Sport, so I ordered the Morimoto fogs. I was going to install them today, but then I discovered a ~3" crack in the bottom of my left headlight yesterday so I'm ordering clear lamin-x for her fogs and my headlights and I'll install her fogs after the lamin-x is on. No condensation and it still works so another week or two wont be much of an issue.

OP
OP
SpringRubber

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2020 update. Really appreciate the feedback from back then. I continued driving around and after 20 months and 10K miles (mostly suburban driving) this glass fog lamp is still holding together. Still waiting for that next rock....
Sponsored