Is heel-toe downshifting “obsolete” because of the Auto Rev Match system?

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
Just took delivery of my Acuity Accelerator Pedal Spacer and realized that I’m pretty horrible at heel-toe downshifting.

But after all that, I noticed that the Rev Match System was compensating for my insufficient throttle blips and was wondering if it’s actually “pointless” to heel toe downshift because of the auto rev match?
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Disable it and you should be able to heel toe if you really want.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
If you leave the feature on yes trying to heel toe is a total waste of time it does it for you better than you ever can. If you have older cars without the feature and want to stay up on the skill turn it off.

My brother was heel toeing when I first got it thinking he was Takumi until I told him the feature was on. DOH!

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
My brother was heel toeing when I first got it thinking he was Takumi until I told him the feature was on. DOH!
ROFL!

The rev-matching is a fun toy and if I was trying to set lap times, I would use it. I also think it's a neat tool for newer drivers - it lets you know how a heel-toe should feel. Easier to wrap your head around the concept and understand what you need to do to execute on your own.

I turned my rev-matching off a couple of months ago and I haven't looked back. In day to day driving, I think using it all the time sort of defeats the reason why I bought a manual in the first place. I have more fun heel-toeing successfully on my own and I'm more engaged in the driving experience. Perfect downshifts mean more because there is a possibility of failure.

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag
If you leave the feature on yes trying to heel toe is a total waste of time it does it for you better than you ever can. If you have older cars without the feature and want to stay up on the skill turn it off.

R

O

F

L

I would not have told him anything

Just imagine when he thinks he's the best driver ever, signs up at a race day..then can't get one heel-toe down.

#playthelonggame

Last edited:

Frackz

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
with it on you only need to rev match 2-1 ? or does it match from 2-1 as well?

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
If you are double clutching like you should you have to know how to heel-toe.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Gotta try this heal toe stuff. Car might drive better then:D

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
i feel the gas pedal by default is way too far inward for me to reach when i'm on the brake...but the acuity thing is also just too expensive for me to spend money on.

Why are my fanatec pedals lined up better than my actual car? hah.

but yeah, with the feature on heel and toe is not necessary. Pretty slick feature.

Last edited:

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
i feel the gas pedal by default is way too far inward for me to reach when i'm on the brake...but the acuity thing is also just too expensive for me to spend money on.

Why are my fanatec pedals lined up better than my actual car? hah.

but yeah, with the feature on heel and toe is not necessary. Pretty slick feature.
What kinda sim setup do you have? Do you use VR? I was looking at a wrecked Type R a while back and was thinking of buying a seat for a sim racing rig.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
What kinda sim setup do you have? Do you use VR? I was looking at a wrecked Type R a while back and was thinking of buying a seat for a sim racing rig.
honestly nothin fancy. Just a fanatec CSL Elite setup with a desk mount normal desk chair. I've tried using some open source head tracking but might just get an ultrawide and call it a day. No space for a dedicated rig :(
Sponsored