BloodType

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I have had my CTR for 3 weeks now and one of the features I wanted to try on this car is the auto rev-match upon downshifting. I've done it several times so far, mostly to downshift from 4th gear to 3rd, and sometimes it works perfectly. Other times, it is as if there was no rev-matching. I will also just rev-match manually too since I am not sure if the car will do it for me lol.

I'd like to hear other people's experiences using this feature.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have had my CTR for 3 weeks now and one of the features I wanted to try on this car is the auto rev-match upon downshifting. I've done it several times so far, mostly to downshift from 4th gear to 3rd, and sometimes it works perfectly. Other times, it is as if there was no rev-matching. I will also just rev-match manually too since I am not sure if the car will do it for me lol.

I'd like to hear other people's experiences using this feature.
As long as you are not going into 1st gear, the auto rev match feature will kick in in the following situations:
  1. The current RPM when the clutch pedal is completely depressed is > 2000
  2. The downshift is non-sequential by dropping two or more gears before releasing the clutch (a 4 -> 2, 5 -> 3, 6 -> 3, etc. shift). You can also do a clutch in, 5 -> 4 -> 3, *rev match happens here* clutch out. Note that this downshift will have a very slow rev match in Comfort and Sport modes and a slow rev match in +R Mode.
  3. Any sequential downshift in +R mode should activate rev match
You can manually rev match as well in any of the above 3 situations. If you do, the car will hold revs for you for a smooth gear shift. If you do not provide enough throttle input for the rev match, the car will also apply a little throttle to reach the needed RPMs.

Edit: added info about rev match as a correction/safety system

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Here is the rev match ranges. You might be out of the range when you shift if you are doing so aggressively. Its a balance of speed, RPM, and gear. Also a side note this info is in the owners manual...just saying.
Honda Civic 10th gen Using the auto rev-match 20190308_011754

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This feature made learning how to drive a stick a lot easier for me. However, I have become too reliant on it. As in, if it doesn’t revmatch (in any gear above 1st) I panic and don’t know what to do. I have this half assed throttle blip that sometimes helps but usually it just ends with a jerky shift.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
This feature made learning how to drive a stick a lot easier for me. However, I have become too reliant on it. As in, if it doesn’t revmatch (in any gear above 1st) I panic and don’t know what to do. I have this half assed throttle blip that sometimes helps but usually it just ends with a jerky shift.
if the rev match doesn't happen automatically, just release the clutch slowly and it will prevent the drivetrain shock that makes the car jerk.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
if the rev match doesn't happen automatically, just release the clutch slowly and it will prevent the drivetrain shock that makes the car jerk.
It also does help to learn how much throttle you need to give it. It's not a bad thing to know and do, and with all things, it'll get better with time.

licelsior

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW, 2003 S2000
Country flag
this car's pedal set up is also pretty close together and makes it much easier to heel toe.

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
this car's pedal set up is also pretty close together and makes it much easier to heel toe.
What? I feel like the pedals are spaced horribly for heel toeing. They're actually further apart than they were on my old Si.

Is there any technical reason it doesn't rev match below 2k? I actually turned the system off because it kept skipping low rpm rev matches, and I didn't want to have to worry about whether or not the system would kick in.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah not that I know how to heel toe but even when I’m stopped I can’t even get my foot on both the brake and gas without doing some real odd looking movements...

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
What? I feel like the pedals are spaced horribly for heel toeing. They're actually further apart than they were on my old Si.

Is there any technical reason it doesn't rev match below 2k? I actually turned the system off because it kept skipping low rpm rev matches, and I didn't want to have to worry about whether or not the system would kick in.
It does not below 2k at all. I posted Honda chart a few posts up. Not sure why they chose that but guess they figure rpms are low enough it shouldn't matter at that speed.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah not that I know how to heel toe but even when I’m stopped I can’t even get my foot on both the brake and gas without doing some real odd looking movements...
Really? I'm obviously not a heel-toe expert, either, but the couple times I've tried the technique I didn't really have any difficulty pressing the brake with the ball of my foot and the gas with the right edge. Didn't even need to heel-toe in the literal sense, and I have relatively narrow feet.

licelsior

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW, 2003 S2000
Country flag

These pedals are way easier to heel toe vs my S2000.

jinderC

automatic rev matching has two operational profiles: in COMFORT or SPORT modes, the rev match system uses a seamless profile, designed to give the Type R a smooth, comfortable shift feel; in +R mode, the system switches to a more aggressive, quick-revving profile designed to complement the faster paced shifting of performance driving.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In +R mode it may be a bit too aggressive, as sometimes I think it overshoots because I’ve had instances where I got a small jolt letting out the clutch in +R mode after the downshift was rev matched. It is definitely faster though in +R. The moment that shifter hits the gate the revs shoot up.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
In +R mode it may be a bit too aggressive, as sometimes I think it overshoots because I’ve had instances where I got a small jolt letting out the clutch in +R mode after the downshift was rev matched. It is definitely faster though in +R. The moment that shifter hits the gate the revs shoot up.
Hold your clutch in a split second longer. You can also blip the throttle yourself which will make it less aggressive.
Sponsored