Rev Match Doesnt Work When Downshifting to Third (Only in Sport Mode)?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hey guys - as title says, is anyone encountering this problem?

It only happens when I'm downshifting from 4th to 3rd while in Sport Mode. In Comfort Mode and +R Mode, I don't have any issues.

If I go from 4th to 3rd then back to neutral then back to 3rd, then the rev match works. It is really strange.

I know there is a recall related to wiring harnesses and rev match, but I don't know if this is the same issue. I don't have any error messages on the dash.

Didn't know if this was just a "bug" in the rev match computer that everyone else also lives with. Thanks.
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
How fast are you going? I've noticed the rev match doesn't do anything if you're going at a speed that puts your revs at less than 2k or so in that gear.

So if you're going like 20 mph, downshifting to third doesn't do anything.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Comparing the Rev Match in my Type R to my 370Z I much preferred the "no conditions, no exceptions" operation in the Z.
Rev matching should just work. I've noticed that sometimes without any apparent reason (I'm still learning the car), the Rev matching seems inconsistent. I'm spoiled I guess.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
How fast are you going? I've noticed the rev match doesn't do anything if you're going at a speed that puts your revs at less than 2k or so in that gear.

So if you're going like 20 mph, downshifting to third doesn't do anything.
Well it tries to throw you thru the windshield as the engine flywheel grabs the clutch!

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
2 solutions:

1) Rev match yourself each time (preferred just from a learning viewpoint)

2) If you insist on using the auto blipper, make sure you are above 2000rpms before downshifting (there are other ways to force auto rev match: block shifting, double clutching, I'm sure there are others I don't know)

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
2 solutions:

1) Rev match yourself each time (preferred just from a learning viewpoint)

2) If you insist on using the auto blipper, make sure you are above 2000rpms before downshifting (there are other ways to force auto rev match: block shifting, double clutching, I'm sure there are others I don't know)
Honestly, giving the throttle a little touch yourself every time seems to smooth out the auto-revver.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Honestly, giving the throttle a little touch yourself every time seems to smooth out the auto-revver.
It doesn't smooth it out really, it makes it quicker. The autorevver kicks in once the new gear is selected. So:
  • Clutch in
  • Select a gear (ÂĽ - ½ second?)
  • Auto rev matching (ÂĽ second for sequential, ½ second for 2+ dropped gears below 2k RPM)
  • Clutch out
Total time = ½ to 1 seconds.

If you blip the throttle yourself, you essentially remove that ÂĽ second auto rev matching time required since you do it while selecting the gear (moving the gear lever). If you blip it enough (essentially rev matching yourself) you end up removing that additional ÂĽ second if you are dropping 2+ gears wen below 2k RPM:
  • Clutch in
  • Select a gear and rev match (ÂĽ - ½ second?)
  • Auto rev matching (0 seconds, it just holds revs if done properly)
  • Clutch out
Total time = ¼ - ½ second

Basically, if you rev match yourself, you reduce the shift time by maybe ÂĽ second while keeping the rev hold feature that the Type R also has built into the rev matching.

Grommet45

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys - as title says, is anyone encountering this problem?

It only happens when I'm downshifting from 4th to 3rd while in Sport Mode. In Comfort Mode and +R Mode, I don't have any issues.

If I go from 4th to 3rd then back to neutral then back to 3rd, then the rev match works. It is really strange.

I know there is a recall related to wiring harnesses and rev match, but I don't know if this is the same issue. I don't have any error messages on the dash.

Didn't know if this was just a "bug" in the rev match computer that everyone else also lives with. Thanks.
I've opened a claim with Honda America on this, apparently im the only one who's had this issue and you all don't exist. In sport and comfort mode I have the most issues with my 2020 ctr, if your under 2k rpm rev match dosent respond, the first time, if you toggle it back to neutral and back into whatever gear it'll work. It dosent have this problem, as much, in R Mode. I tried asking people if the flash module people use to tune the car can get access to the rev match. Ive seen people say they can fix the rev hang issue in the Si ,I dont see why the rev match wouldent be accessible too

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've opened a claim with Honda America on this, apparently im the only one who's had this issue and you all don't exist. In sport and comfort mode I have the most issues with my 2020 ctr, if your under 2k rpm rev match dosent respond, the first time, if you toggle it back to neutral and back into whatever gear it'll work. It dosent have this problem, as much, in R Mode. I tried asking people if the flash module people use to tune the car can get access to the rev match. Ive seen people say they can fix the rev hang issue in the Si ,I dont see why the rev match wouldent be accessible too
In sport or comfort mode:
  • Any sequential (single gear) downshift while the RPMs are > 2000 will result in it matching the downshift. Exception being shifting into 1st gear.
  • Any non-sequential (2 or more gears) downshift (regardless of RPM) will result it in matching the downshift, albeit slowly. Exception being shifting into 1st gear.
  • This means that if you’re RPM is above 2000, then it will rev match unless you are going into 1st gear. If you are below 2000 RPM, shifting down 2 or more gears will have it rev match, but it will be slow.
In +R mode, it will rev match all shifts unless you are going into 1st gear. The single gear rev match while your RPM > 2000 will be very aggressive while the non-sequential downshifts (while you’re RPM < 2000 RPM) will be slower (but not as slow as in sport/comfort mode).

This is how it’s programmed.

Edit: as for accessing the rev match feature and ”customizing” it, that would be something you’d have to ask @Hondata or @KTuner.

noshar

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R Black
Country flag
So here is what I found out over the months:

In +R, it will auto rev-match everytime if u are going over 30km/h, no matter what gear you are in.

In Sport/Comfort (I haven't found any difference in logic of auto rev-match between these two modes), it's more random, for example, if you are going 50 and shifting from 4th to 3rd, the car will blip the throttle for you, if you are going 60 and shifting from 5th to 4th, chances are the car won't do anything. I recommand just blip it yourself everytime if you are in Sport or Comfort. If auto rev-match triggers, nice, everything is smooth, and even if it doesn't, it's still cool because you did the rev-match yourself ;)
Sponsored