2017-2019 Civic Reliability

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
2017 1.5T HB Sport built in Oct 2016. I have 36000 miles on the cars, car being driven daily with 30 round trip.

Car has been very reliable even though I have the oil level rise and the CVT warm start noise. I change oil every 5000 miles with Synthetic 0W20, mostly Mobil 1.

Windshield wipers and trunk floor can use better material, my new wipers were making noise after 6 months I took the car home from dealer, I use them very little as this is SoCal.

Also, the factory battery will only last 2 years.

Other than these, I am happy with the Car.
Sponsored

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply...I assume yours haven’t had any issues? How’s the CVT?
Tekz,
Only 8.5K miles on a 1.5T with CVT. Long time manual driver, first CVT. Cold MN climate. -25F one day this winter.
No problems to report. I really like my car, and I'm surprised to say, I really like the CVT. It just gets up and goes, kind of like a go cart.
It is a little slow at kicking out warm air from the heating system on very cold days, but the heated seats make this a none issue.

Good luck with your decision. JP

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Canadian HB Sport Touring 6MT here! 15 months, 39 000km and the car us just lovely! No oil dilution issue, no problem at all, even in the cold of Honda City ON (Alliston ON, Home of the Civic Coupe and Si)

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
2016 EX here:
Interior rattles, anti-glare coating on the touchscreen scratches way too easily, 2.0L engine MPG not anywhere near advertised (I don't drive hard and still average about 28mpg, 65/35 highway/city),
electronics are glitchy every once in a random while, related to touch handle to unlock not working every few months that can be fixed by pressing the remote button, parking brake error every few months that can be cleared by cycling the parking brake and restarting the car, all kinds of mis-reports of errors when you turn the car to accessory mode (1 push of button) for any length of time
Transmission (at least on 2.0L) was not smooth at low speeds when on ECO mode, regular Drive mode the car drives beautifully.
Leaky capless fill, I have to slow the rate of the pump when I know I am getting to the fill point or it will spill out for a moment when the pump clicks full.
Driver-side middle air vent aims up when car is sitting in hot weather.
I've also been unfortunate to end up with a servicing dealer that treats electronic glitches as par for the course and anything they can't reproduce as not a problem to worry about.
At the end of my lease and the trade-in value from multiple sources is coming up to be 1.5-2K less than the buyout. I want to get into something different but with that kind of negative equity (on a trade at least) I've got to hold on to it until turn-in time. Grrrr.
Upside is Honda Financial gives you $500 towards any damage at lease end or $1000 if you get into another Honda. We'll see.

Frixos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Cooper R56, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX with 37k miles - manufactured July 2016.

Problems so far:
Driver side seat had a rod (that provided back support) break - replaced under warranty.
infotainment system at times freezes and restarts itself, despite the latest update.

The car has been riding great! I hope this will continue. I specifically went with the EX because I did not want a turbo. I don't yet trust that it will last as long as the 2.0.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello Civic owners specifically MY 2017-2019, looking at the compact segment comparing between the Forte, Corolla and Civic (EX with 2.0L engine-not the 1.5T) would appreciate any feedback or real world experience in terms of any major issues/reliability so far. Not trying to get convinced on which model to get but just doing my research for possible purchase soon. Any info would help...Thanks!
I felt the engine in the Civic more responsive than the Corolla's but the Corolla's ride felt quieter and more solid and plush. I have stayed with purchase of 2017 HB Sport. Huge ergonomic and noise gripes but ride, handling, braking, and engine feel good. The seats are too hard and unable to adjust for me. Reliability has been very good since engine and gear oils were both updated with top notch stuff and car settled in. The one maddening thing is the door "clicker" or detent that keeps the doors ajar. They all wear out within mere weeks and I noted that previous gen Civics use similar design. It's really awful but I have never read any similar complaints from other Civic owners. Also, Honda of America is unresponsive to complaints from common Honda owners. The dealers are not kept to higher standards in either sales or service.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
My 2016 LX 2.0 was incredibly reliable. 3 years about 25k miles, only visited the dealer for scheduled fluid and filter changes and a replacement tire. Never burned oil between changes. Routinely averaged 31mpg with mostly street driving.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My 2016 LX 2.0 was incredibly reliable. 3 years about 25k miles, only visited the dealer for scheduled fluid and filter changes and a replacement tire. Never burned oil between changes. Routinely averaged 31mpg with mostly street driving.
My wife have this car, mine is same but 2018. No issue
25K miles is too short to know if reliable or not. Issue with 25K miles = car is a citrus :lol:

Many car mags write they don't trust turbo Civic to be reliable.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1 year with civic hatch 1.5 and 17.000km no issues, exept really squeaky drivers seat :p

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Up to 73k miles on my 2017.

AC condenser was leaking and had to pay $1000 to fix out of pocket since hatchbacks aren't covered under the recall (yet).

Haven't really had any other issues in a while. There are some rattles/buzzes that come and go. Had to replace the rear brakes, fronts are still going.

Gas mileage has dropped about 2 mpg (calculated). The computer still shows the same mpg. in other words the computer used to be right on, and now overestimates mileage by 2 mpg.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
Didnt see many 2.0 owners on here so thought i'd chime in. I have a 2018 EX 2.0 Sedan with about 6500 miles on the clock which isn't much at all but so far, its been nothing short of great. At this low of mileage obviously no one expects anything to go wrong, but even so the car has been great with no issues. I honestly belive from a reliability standpoint, theres no way the 2.0 will disappoint.
Also have the 2018 sedan 2.0...36,000 miles...zero problems. Going to see if I can get 300,000 miles from this beauty❤

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I found myself in a 2019 Civic 2.0 with CVT after 10 years and 200k miles in a 2009 Civic automatic.

The CVT took a little getting used to because it drives different than a traditional automatic. After about a week I was comfortable with the way the car delivers power. Overall, the CVT is significantly smoother than a traditional automatic and the feared rubber band experience has not been observed with the Honda CVT. I hope to get 200K or more out of this drive train so hopefully the CVT lives up to the Civic's reliability reputation.

The windshield must be made out of champagne glass. It will chip if you look at it the wrong way. This is my biggest complaint thus far because after a few weeks of driving on my regular highway commute, the windshield looks like it took a direct hit with buckshot. My ten year old Civic had what seemed like bulletproof glass. It laughed at large road debris that regularly kicks up.

Given the rock solid 2.0 motor, I would expect that the rest of the car will fall apart long before the motor gives up. I think the 2019 with the 2.0 is your best choice given the available options out there.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic EX.

It now has 49,268 miles.

I got the car in January, 2016.

It has had no issues so far. The tires are even still good with > 5/32" left.

Fingers crossed...knock on wood...etc!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
The windshield must be made out of champagne glass. It will chip if you look at it the wrong way. This is my biggest complaint thus far because after a few weeks of driving on my regular highway commute, the windshield looks like it took a direct hit with buckshot. My ten year old Civic had what seemed like bulletproof glass. It laughed at large road debris that regularly kicks up.
That's weird, I haven't gotten any chips in my window after 73k miles, but it did crack recently and propogated across the window requiring replacement.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how the hell can tires last for 50k miles lol?
continental premium contact6 235/40/18 i did 6k miles and less than half tread left on front... back are like 3/4 good
so i rotate them for next summer season and they are gone... ant they are threadwear 280... and i dont consider myself aggresive driver (most of the time)
Sponsored