Long term reliability?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With more recent issues and the warranty being extended by Honda again on more parts what are you thoughts on the 1.5T being a good long term car?

I have been a die hard Honda fan since the late 90's and have always recommended and stood by their cars.

I have a 2018 Si and while I have not had any issues myself so many others have. Originally I had planned to keep the car 6-8 years but I am wondering if I should trade it in since my car will still bring 18-19K on trade with my low miles.

My issues is my car is slightly modded yet not driven that hard as its my daily driver. But when I needed the recall performed my dealer would not touch my car with out me removing all my mods. I do not want to have to go through this time and time again should I have issues with the motor during the 6 year unlimited mileage warranty Honda has given the car.
Sponsored

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Sounds like you like the car. Keep it.

The only thing I rec for people with the 1.5L is to change your oil a lot and double it up in the winter.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
There's no evidence that the 1.5T won't be reliable long term.

The oil dilution is an extremely niche minor issue that impacts almost no one. Out of an abundance of caution, Honda made an update to help the engine warm up quicker.

Even the Si is tuned so conservatively compared to what the engine is capable of that it just isn't under much stress even when you drive it hard all of the time.

Don't worry, enjoy your car.
It's not niche. It depends on how you drive and the weather where you drive. Combating oil dilution is easy, just change often and then it'll be mitigated.

06XTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Bottom line is Honda quality isn't what it used to be. On top of that the dealerships treat us customers like garbage. I specifically bought a 19 sedan sport 2.0na 6sp manual transmission because i didn't trust the 1.5t or the CVT. I didn't even know about the oil dilution problem at the time. Also the 2.0na is port injected. Don't have to deal with all of the direct injection issues. There's a reason Toyota and now Ford are doing both direct and port injection to keep it clean. Its too bad. Honda should've just put a detuned 2.0 turbo in the SI. Better motor... Doesn't have the oil dilution problems that the 1.5t does

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The way I deal with the oil dilution is to change my oil every 2500 miles. I have the oil change package and the extended warranty up for 80k/120k miles respectively. Planning to keep this for a while as well.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Lots of people seem to say changing the oil 3x - 4x more than you should normally need to is a "solution."

If the manufacturer tells you your oil lasts about 10,000 miles, but then you find you have to change it every 3,000 miles because the motor leaks enough gasoline into the oil that it compromises the oil's effectiveness, that's a really sh1tty "solution." No brand-new cars should require modifications (such as catch cans) or additional maintenance just to keep them reliable.

That said, while the oil dilution problem is 100% real, I haven't seen any good evidence that these motors are unreliable or prone to catastrophic failure.

OP
OP
Doublestack00

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I change my oil every 5K with synthetic oil and a Honda filer. At 5K it is BURNT and smells.

I've stopped modding my car after the last time having to return it to stock. And now I worry that even with the mods I do have should I have an engine issue the claim would be denied.

I know there is a risk with modding, but with an engine that is known to have issues it kind of has me worries a bit. Also add to the fact I can't do what I want with my own car in fear it may break prematurely.

With that said I love my car, but I am on the fence about dumping it while the resale is so high on it.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
I change my oil every 5K with synthetic oil and a Honda filer. At 5K it is BURNT and smells.

I've stopped modding my car after the last time having to return it to stock. And now I worry that even with the mods I do have should I have an engine issue the claim would be denied.

I know there is a risk with modding, but with an engine that is known to have issues it kind of has me worries a bit. Also add to the fact I can't do what I want with my own car in fear it may break prematurely.

With that said I love my car, but I am on the fence about dumping it while the resale is so high on it.
I've only had mine for 4 months and I already have similar thoughts. I really like my car, and, like a dumbass I've already put $2,200 into it so I'm not sure I'd want to sell or trade it anytime soon.

But the oil dilution that I've smelled and seen with my eyes at only 5k miles is alarming, considering I would like to tune and mod the engine but still have it last for some years.

Then again, there's almost no other cars I'm that interested in - the CTR of course, or maybe a used Lexus RC350, but that's about it.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag

By LAW they would have to prove the mod was the source of the damage to deny a warranty claim and what do you mean by "BURNT", the oil dilution issues tail tail sign is the SMELL of GAS in the oil not a Burnt smell, which you can check by removing the filler cap at any time. if you are "burning" a liquid thats another issue and it would be coming out of the tail pipe, if you are saying the oil is dark after 5k miles thats normal, dark oil doesn't mean ineffective oil or that anything is wrong.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
The way I deal with the oil dilution is to change my oil every 2500 miles. I have the oil change package and the extended warranty up for 80k/120k miles respectively. Planning to keep this for a while as well.
2500 miles? it's so less a conventional oil can be changed at 3k miles

06XTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag

You know if there's way for the Honda dealership to get out of a warranty claim they will. Planet Honda in Golden Colorado... Service department guys are a bunch of a-holes.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm unsure if it will or if I care. I got the civic so that I could have something eat up highway miles and last a long time if I need it to. But i also got something that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and shouldn't depreciate. I'm either driving this car 3-4 years or 9 years, but me getting rid of it is highly unlikely to be due to the car not lasting. My guess if i get rid of it sooner it's because the new WRX is awesome (coming 2021) or that the 11th gen civic has a si with a DCT and/or the new ILX is on the 11th gen platform.

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
Bottom line is Honda quality isn't what it used to be. On top of that the dealerships treat us customers like garbage. I specifically bought a 19 sedan sport 2.0na 6sp manual transmission because i didn't trust the 1.5t or the CVT. I didn't even know about the oil dilution problem at the time. Also the 2.0na is port injected. Don't have to deal with all of the direct injection issues. There's a reason Toyota and now Ford are doing both direct and port injection to keep it clean. Its too bad. Honda should've just put a detuned 2.0 turbo in the SI. Better motor... Doesn't have the oil dilution problems that the 1.5t does

I did some research too and go the 2020 LX 6spd. I had turbo cars and all had issues and would never trust one. CVT is good only if its a Toyota, my Lancers's CVT starts to wine at 124k and I am worried!

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lots of people seem to say changing the oil 3x - 4x more than you should normally need to is a "solution."

If the manufacturer tells you your oil lasts about 10,000 miles, but then you find you have to change it every 3,000 miles because the motor leaks enough gasoline into the oil that it compromises the oil's effectiveness, that's a really sh1tty "solution." No brand-new cars should require modifications (such as catch cans) or additional maintenance just to keep them reliable.

That said, while the oil dilution problem is 100% real, I haven't seen any good evidence that these motors are unreliable or prone to catastrophic failure.

I just want to say that, since the engine is already mixing the gas in the oil, so I just went ahead and started putting gas directly in the crank case. LOL kidding ... Seriously though, My 2020 civic Si, my buddy's 2019 civic Si, my other, other buddy's 2018 civic EX-T, and my other, other, other buddy's, 2017 civic Si all have a strong odor of fuel in the oil. We live in Tyler Texas, so no idea what the h3ll is going on here. We all smelt it the same night I checked mine. My local dealership stated that they currently have 2 cases here dealing with the same thing. That makes 6 total cases just here locally. My car at 7k miles shouldn't already have this issue right? Texas inst normally cold... so there's that. recently its been getting down to the mid 40's but that's 2-4 days at a time. My car is garage kept, and the garage is usually kept at 55-60f at the lowest.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Ive personally owned 2 (the first of which had north of 100 different flashes testing it with) and neither one had a bit of a problem with dilution. I think it is a mania of sorts that started up in Canada. There was a problem enough to issue a bulletin about but they aren't buying back many cars over it lol.

An entire parking lot worth of tenth gen owners subjectively smelling the "dilution amount" of gas in there motor oil just seems silly to me.
Sponsored