Why didn’t YOU buy a CTR and chose to mod an Si

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Si? I chose the fk7 over the Si because I love the hatch space. I didnt care for the suspension. Same engine size. Power not far behind.
Over the type R tho? Personally, for me, its not worth spending around 40k on a car that doesnt save me money due to how I love to heavily modify my car. I love my budget build.
Instead of getting a Type R, was able to save up money and I bought a house instead.
Sponsored

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
I chose the si cause for one it was in budget. Second reason I wanted a coupe. I’m kinda glad I did get si cause I’m making similar power for a hell of a lot less then paying for the R
And the Type R, will still walk away from your Si in the twisties. I cannot state this any clearer. Untill you have driven a Type R, you really don't know which of what you speak.
It's not as easy as making as much power. Going fast in a straight line is highly over rated!

Jrmybrtn

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
And the Type R, will still walk away from your Si in the twisties. I cannot state this any clearer. Untill you have driven a Type R, you really don't know which of what you speak.
It's not as easy as making as much power. Going fast in a straight line is highly over rated!
I wasn’t implying by any means that my car is faster then the type r either auto cross or drag strip. I totally agree that the type r is a crazy performer. I’m just saying that the type r is crazy over priced due to dealers marking up. That you can take a si and put some money into it and be similar power wise and still not be as much in to it as you would pay for the type r.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
LOL Here in Cali, a Type R will run you closer to 45-50k (~not necessarily OTD either). The highest I was quoted at 53k. I got my SI for under 30k...give me 10-12k and we can probably match that Type R in power and handling or at least get VERY close.

OP
OP
FK7_

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to remind everyone this was a joke thread, no need to get butt hurt over type-r’s and Si’s lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LOL Here in Cali, a Type R will run you closer to 45-50k (~not necessarily OTD either). The highest I was quoted at 53k. I got my SI for under 30k...give me 10-12k and we can probably match that Type R in power and handling or at least get VERY close.
It comes down to driving skill. A skilled Fk7 driver can make better time than an R driver. Like someone said, not all R owners track their car. They bought because it looks cool and has high hp.

On the other note.
My fk7 makes the same power as an R. On a roll, i can beat a stock R. On par with a reflashed R.
My car + mods didnt cost me 40k to achieve it. Altogether its around under 30k. My mpg is almost unchanged. Perfect daily car.
Suspension wise and handling feel of the R, that's where the R is unique from. (And yes the k20 engine). I cant replicate the R's handling.
So basically that extra $15k+ that people paid for an R goes towards the impressive suspension and and that badass engine.

Manatee Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si; Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Country flag
Sonic Breezer, Your suggestion that a type r "will walk away from an Si in the twisties" is not born out in the real world with published empirical data. In SCCA National autocross events that I would characterize as having some significant "twisties", the type r can run in D Street class and the Si runs in G Street with the allowable mods that are comparable. If you look at the 2019 results in several large National events, you find that the type r is 1-2 seconds faster on a course than the Si's in the hands of the best drivers in the country and the type R has 50% more horsepower. I wouldn't exactly characterize the difference in performance as "walking away". I think what we see is that the type r's horsepower does not necessarily translate into extremely different performances from an Si and it appears that the type r's have some difficulty getting the power down in ways that would let it "walk away" from an Si.

On a conventional race track, your statements would likely be more accurate but that is only before the type r's engine becomes heat soaked and all bets would be off at that point I suspect?
Sponsored

Last edited: