My girlfriend hates my Si and I understand why

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
First things first I'm just gonna say that I absolutely love my 2017 Si that I have had since brand new bought in August of 2017 with 19 miles on the odometer. But my girlfriend absolutely hates it and I kinda understand why.

First a couple of things about her, she is not a car person at all, in fact she HATES HATES HATES driving, avoids it like the plague so I do 99.99% of the driving when we go out. Second, I dont think she has ever seen anybody drive a manual before, infact she was shocked when I told her my car had 3 pedals, and didnt know that was a thing lol.

But I can still understand why she hates my car. Here are a few of the reasons she hates it in no particular order.

1. Ride is too stiff: We just drove 2 hours to Galveston (1 hour one way) and also around Galveston when we got there, the trip and the city once we arrived has some pretty bad roads. Now I've had my car for 3 years so I am used to the rough ride, but my gf isn't. She complains about how she feels every bump, every rough patch, and every road imperfection through her entire body. In fact after the entire trip, she limped back home lol.

2. Shifting: I think this is more a manual thing than an Si thing specifically, but shfiting in this car for some reason throws her whole body forward. No matter how smooth I try to be with the throttle and the clutch, shifting especially from 1st to 2nd throws her forward and I can just see her entire body in the corner of my eye move forward each time I shift in the lower gears. She absolutely hates this, especially after a night out drinking or after a meal, she says my car makes her feel like throwing up lol.

3. Low height: Getting in and out of the car for her is a lesson in leg exercise. As you all know, the 10th gen Civic front passenger seat does not have height adjustment, so the seat is pretty low to the ground. She moans and groans each time she gets in and out of the car.

4. Weird gearing: Similar to #2.. When crawling in 1st gear in slow bumper to bumper traffic, the car will do this weird launching or herky jerky thing. She sometimes thinks I am messing with her lol but then I have to reassure her that it is just what the 1st gear does sometimes in traffic. Because of this, long crawling traffic can make her car sick with repeated 1st gear jerking.

She absolutely hates my car lol and wants me to get rid of it, but my car is my baby and isnt going anywhere anytime soon. With that being said, I completely understand where she is coming from, especially seeing it from her POV as someone who isnt into cars.

It is getting so bad that I am beginning to get anxious and super aware of every thing I do when she is in the car with me lol. She would much prefer something like a GTI I feel, it is the ultimate comfortable cruiser in these class of cars, over my dead body though ?
Sponsored

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Hopefully you come out of this ok, I know you say this lightheartedly but “little” things like this usually end up with one person unhappy. I couldn’t imagine feeling like I’m walking on eggshells every time I drive :(

Amatsukaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For longer drives together you could rent an automatic car.

Kinda inefficient though since you already have a car and 2 hrs isn't too much wear and tear anyways.

Still, at least it's compromise, and you can make her drive one way lol

Memnoch

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Throw the whole girlfriend out, try again!

Seriously though, she should recognize that it interests and creates happiness for you and she should care about that over some slight bumps on the road here and there. I'm sure you make sacrifices/take interest in things you don't particularly like or give shit about, for her. She sounds self-centered or even jealous of your relationship with your car lol.

Life is a little different for me as I'm married but when I told my wife I was going to the dealer to buy a brand new 10th gen Si and the onslaught of parts being ordered there after was going to be somewhat unbearable for her, her exact response was "what color babe?"

Just food for thought on what may be out there.. ?

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My girlfriend absolutely hates driving too and avoids it so I do all of the driving basically in our relationship. She doesn't mind the harsh ride but she does get uncomfortable in the seat sometimes which I can understand. But she also understands that I love my car and I love being a car person and she fully supports me for it. in fact she's constantly asking me questions on how things work and when I have my Data Logger going on my phone she asked me what everything does and what I watch out for. she doesn't like me racing from time to time since I can understand that it's dangerous however she loves how passionate I am about it overall.

You have three options:

1. Ask her to be more supportive and understanding

2. Get a new girlfriend

3. Get a second car that can be a more comfortable daily. (Then mod it and get a new girlfriend)

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Whenever I have passengers in the car I never allow the car to decelerate in 1st gear. If I'm going that slow and need to slow down I clutch in until I need to accelerate again. 1st gear is smooth as long as your foot is always on the gas pedal, otherwise the jerkiness is annoying even for me

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I notice you said girlfriend and not wife. Get a new GF. She sounds like a sheltered mess.

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like you are missing an important piece of info here. Is your suspension stock? Because if you have some wild performance suspension setup I could see her hate for the ride being valid, especially if she isn't used to it. However if the suspension is stock it sounds like she is being very overdramatic by constantly complaining about the ride and limping after.... Unless she has some health conditions that make it worse for her which makes it again understandable.

I would talk to her about it, ask her why it bothers her and make sure she understands it's important to you. If she truly truly hates it that much she can get herself a car so that you guys can take that on road trips together, this is not something you should have to try to fix (unless the situation falls into the exceptions I mentioned above) but it is something you should try to bring up with her

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Forget a GTI! If anything consider a Golf R. Thankfully these little Si’s hold their value extremely well. If you want to keep both your gf and yourself happy, sell it to her that way. Tell her you will consider a VW or more comfortable performance car in the future, but for now you are enjoying a more practical car and it’s an investment.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Thanks for making me appreciate my wife even more.

Must say mine is not a car person or driver either yet I never heard one complaint about all my POS tiny junk cars over the years, all manual. We had a 96 cavalier, 97 sunfire, 2006 lancer and now a 2016 civic.

All manual, all base, all rough junk cars, zero complaints.

The only complaint I got was spending too much money getting the 2010 Charger when I did.

Sorry about your luck OP.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Being a female, I completely understand where you’re coming from. With that being said, like everyone else here, GET A NEW GF. she sounds so self centered it’s unbearable. My boyfriend and I take turns driving. Sometimes I like driving my car and sometimes he likes driving his truck. But I never ever hear my boyfriend complain about getting in and out of my car. I know he’s a lot taller than me but he doesn’t let my car be a dealbreaker in our relationship.

If I may ask, how long have you two been together? Fortunately, my bf and I share the same interests. Except he likes to shoot pool in his pool league, me on the other hand don’t care to play much. But he doesn’t let that be a dealbreaker. I’m sorry this sounds harsh but she seems like she doesn’t understand. Just get a new GF.
Good Luck OP. Maybe y’all can have a conversation and meet in the middle.

Last edited:

slanted_faces

Like a wis man once said, I want to go fast
First Name
Papi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
as long she doesn’t say anything about how much money you’ve spent on upgrades, she’s a keeper broh. Try letting her ride with the seat warmers on. I drive quiet a bit and I find that the warmers don’t let my muscles get too stiff. Also, encourage better posture. No one will ever ride comfortably if they have the posture of an 80 year old.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Honestly if you still have the OEM tires, they ride awfully after they've aged a bit. Some nice Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or 4 rides so much better and doesn't age poorly with regards to noise or traction.

And the herky jerky low speeds and rough shifting can be significantly improved with a rear motor mount - the downside is the increased noise and vibration she might hate more than the jerking around.

I guarantee it's more fun to drive with a mount, though ;)

My girlfriend likes the car, but she doesn't like riding in it. I have to drive like a chauffeur in order to have her ride along. When I swapped my 27Won motor mount out for the OEM+Perrin inserts she likes it less because it's a lot more jerky again.

I'm probably just going to put the 27Won back on.
Sponsored