My girlfriend hates my Si and I understand why

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just took her on a ride in a 2017 Porshe 718 Boxter S 6MT. Her comments were "this is much more smoother and comfortable than your car, I'm actually having a good time" lol..surprisingly she was right. The Boxter S wasn't as harsh on bumps and actually felt more comfortable. Zero rev hang and no 1-2 gear weirdness, and obviously performance was a wash. The biggest surprise though was just how much more comfortable it was seeing as how it is an actual dedicated sports car.
It also costs as much as three Si Civics. I would hope paying that much money would get you a comfortable ride with fewer flaws than an economy car. Also, porsche knows the demographic that buys their non-gt cars, which are likely more interested in a soft ride than a Civic Si owner.
Sponsored

billyalice

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT, 1990 Celica All-Trac, 70 W-31
Country flag
The tires will make some difference but the 40 aspect ratio will always be hard.
I've driven manual transmissions over 50 years in NYC. To smooth out her ride whenever she is in the car, try short shifting 1st to 2nd (2000 rpm) and allow car to come to speed in 1st (30 to 40% throttle) 5-8 mph. You only need 1st gear to save the clutch. Hopefully this gives you a smoother take off and transition from a stop.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The tires will make some difference but the 40 aspect ratio will always be hard.
I've driven manual transmissions over 50 years in NYC. To smooth out her ride whenever she is in the car, try short shifting 1st to 2nd (2000 rpm) and allow car to come to speed in 1st (30 to 40% throttle) 5-8 mph. You only need 1st gear to save the clutch. Hopefully this gives you a smoother take off and transition from a stop.
OMG, just get her a bus pass!! By the time you please this women you will be 70 and also wanting a more comfortable ride.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just took her on a ride in a 2017 Porshe 718 Boxter S 6MT. Her comments were "this is much more smoother and comfortable than your car, I'm actually having a good time" lol..surprisingly she was right. The Boxter S wasn't as harsh on bumps and actually felt more comfortable. Zero rev hang and no 1-2 gear weirdness, and obviously performance was a wash. The biggest surprise though was just how much more comfortable it was seeing as how it is an actual dedicated sports car.
sounds like your gf has a more expensive taste in cars to be "comfortable" hope you don't get the Porsche just for her sake but hey not my money so do as you please

Davewoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
Country flag
Get a new girlfriend who's into cars and driving.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
She sounds like a pain in the ass.

My wife’s response was “Aww, I’m so excited you’re buying your first new car, you deserve it! I hope you love it!”

Then it was “I’m glad you got one so fun! A car like this would be wasted on me I’d never drive it as hard as you and obviously that’s what it’s for!”

Today’s response to ‘I might look to trade it next year if the ‘22 Si has a significant upgrade to the clutch or power’ was “well, cars are your thing, if it’s ok by the budget, do whatever makes you happy!”
Got yourself a keeper there.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+..I doubt it's made the ride any stiffer or harsher from stock all season's.

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
Are you happy with your life?
Looks like your life is hard man. Is the car the only issue you have with your girlfriend?

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Are you happy with your life?
Looks like your life is hard man. Is the car the only issue you have with your girlfriend?
makes me wonder if she is like this with other stuff, a straight up weigh down on everything, these cars are fun my gf loves this car she loved my gti too. It'd be a real drag if I had to choose the car or some ass but I'll move on happily in my car lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of you guys are overreacting. Let's see, his gf say his car rides rough, she's not used to manual shifting and the passenger seat is too low.

Truth is, the passenger seat is low and it isn't a soft riding car. I don't think that's a reason for him to dump her.

Unless of course she complains about everything not car related too. :p

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does she has a car? If she does drive her car when you with her, If not tell her to get a car or stop complaining. I like small cars my wife like big cars, she drives a pathfinder, every time I drive we go on the SI, every time she drives we go on the pathfinder. At the end of the day you are you and her is her. You don't have to be perfect but respect each other opinions.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
My GF doesn't mind my car. She also had no idea what a manual was loll. The only inconvenience for her was that she couldn't hold my hand when I drive, so I told her to hold my stick.
you should shift your gears with left hand ;) :p

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think a lot of you guys are overreacting. Let's see, his gf say his car rides rough, she's not used to manual shifting and the passenger seat is too low.

Truth is, the passenger seat is low and it isn't a soft riding car. I don't think that's a reason for him to dump her.

Unless of course she complains about everything not car related too. :p
Yeah this exactly. While it sounds like it's a big enough issue to warrant being talked about, all these people on here blindly saying to ditch her are insane.

floof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si & '21 R
Country flag
lol

My wife is not into cars at all, and she definitely has complaints about the Si, but talk about COMPLETELY different worlds.

I'd say her most grievous complaint is how slow it is. "Adequate" would probably be her highest praise. She think's it's a looker though ?.

She had a WRX years ago. She traded it in one day for an STI while waiting on an oil change.
Unfortunately the STI is in heaven now, and she considers the Si a budget consolation prize.
Low OTD, low APR, low depreciation, and high residual ... LOL ... I already know the '19 is a goner when the FA24 STI comes out. She's already pissed at getting screwed on an S209.

Honda Civic 10th gen My girlfriend hates my Si and I understand why twinsies
Sponsored