What did you do to your Type R today?

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
So I went straight to the Autobild source in German to see if I could learn anything different, and it seems they indeed found that the summer reference tire is one of the top 5 tested tires - but in stopping distance ONLY in the wet.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-10811081.html (Used google translate to translate, so hopefully the translation wasn't misleading. Lol)

A couple things:
1) It appears that this test literally only looks at braking distances in the wet and snow. And there are 3 winter tires with equal/better braking distance in the wet according to the results. However, this test doesn't appear to take into account extended heavy braking over a long period of time, so I'm not convinced that the summer tires will not wear excessively over the period of a long winter of daily driving.

So while I will agree with your original point that it might not be necessary to switch out the summer tires if you live in a dry place where maybe the temperature only drops to 20F-40F when the sun is down - I would still advise switching to all seasons/winters if there is any chance your roads get icy or snowy. This leaves only a few regions in the US at least where I think leaving thee summers on during winter would apply. Can't speak for other continents around the world.

2) A minor thing, but I wanted to point out anyways. Autobild should identify which summer tire they used as a reference. All summer tires aren't equal and who knows if they used a 'max performance summer' or an 'ultra high performance summer' as the reference. My opinion, but I feel like using a tire like a Yokohama A052 could produce much different results than using the OEM Continentals on our car.

3) Like others have already stated. The temperature that the test was conducted in was never stated in the results. I've been in places where there's snow on the ground and the temp was a little over 40F. Again, I get that this was not the original point you were trying to make.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to antagonize you. I'd just like to not rely on one single test where all the details aren't even presented properly to be taken as absolute truth. For now, I'll heed the warnings of the 'experts' in the industry.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

SiccTypeR

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type r 1999 suburban
Country flag
And new tires? Which brand did you go with?
The only ones I could which were delinte thunder d7. No choice other than waiting 2 or 3 days to get the OEM ones. They're a/s tires so hopefully they'll be good for the winter here

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The perennial summer/winter tire discussion, or catfight. My CTR is my daily driver, the only car I own. I don’t want to have to look at the thermometer every time I need to drive in the winter. I bought my car in November of last year, so immediately had to decide on winter tires. I’m in southern New England, where the winters are not particularly severe, but decided to go with the very expensive 20” Pirelli Sottozero 3s, the only 20” true UHP winter tire that I could find anywhere, they’re fine. They provide good performance and handling in winter and above temperatures and good wear, and they give the OEM Continentals a seasonal break. The cost would be better justified if I were a couple of hundred miles farther north, in New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine, where heavy snow and ice are just part of the daily winter game. Wonder how many CTRs there are up there, or in Minnesota or North Dakota? Not many, I’d bet.

In another two or three years, when the Pirellis and Continentals are gone, I will consider, given my gentler winter environment, using less expensive all-season tires for the winter and continue with the Continentals, or some similar sticky tire for the summer. I do miss that stickiness when the winter tires are on the car, but you’re just not going to get that feel with the compound and tread of a winter or all-season tire.

If you’re in an area where there will be frequent winter days with temperatures below 40° F, and you don’t have an alternate means of transportation, so that you can leave the car at home, you have to make the winter tire decision. I could have taken the alternative of calling Uber every time that I think I should not drive on the summer tires, might’ve been cheaper overall. But then I would miss the pleasure of driving the car every day, which is why I bought it. I don’t feel that the car should be driven in conditions that involve not only possibly ruining the structure of the summer tires, but compromising your own safety and the safety of others.

Deleted member 31314

The perennial summer/winter tire discussion, or catfight. My CTR is my daily driver, the only car I own. I don’t want to have to look at the thermometer every time I need to drive in the winter. I bought my car in November of last year, so immediately had to decide on winter tires. I’m in southern New England, where the winters are not particularly severe, but decided to go with the very expensive 20” Pirelli Sottozero 3s, the only 20” true UHP winter tire that I could find anywhere, they’re fine. They provide good performance and handling in winter and above temperatures and good wear, and they give the OEM Continentals a seasonal break. The cost would be better justified if I were a couple of hundred miles farther north, in New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine, where heavy snow and ice are just part of the daily winter game. Wonder how many CTRs there are up there, or in Minnesota or North Dakota? Not many, I’d bet.

In another two or three years, when the Pirellis and Continentals are gone, I will consider, given my gentler winter environment, using less expensive all-season tires for the winter and continue with the Continentals, or some similar sticky tire for the summer. I do miss that stickiness when the winter tires are on the car, but you’re just not going to get that feel with the compound and tread of a winter or all-season tire.

If you’re in an area where there will be frequent winter days with temperatures below 40° F, and you don’t have an alternate means of transportation, so that you can leave the car at home, you have to make the winter tire decision. I could have taken the alternative of calling Uber every time that I think I should not drive on the summer tires, might’ve been cheaper overall. But then I would miss the pleasure of driving the car every day, which is why I bought it. I don’t feel that the car should be driven in conditions that involve not only possibly ruining the structure of the summer tires, but compromising your own safety and the safety of others.
I totally get this, I live in Southern Alberta (Canada), where are winters are fairly mild compared to most of the Province or Country for that matter. I didn't hesitate to throw winter tires on regardles of snow just based on the temperature alone. Although I have a secondary vehicle I use for work since my job sometimes takes me out of the office and down a good ole country road and I didn't want to hurt my CTR with all that gravel, downside is i find myself driving that car more often just because it sits outside and the CTR is nice and warm and clean hiding in the garage. That's the other problem here is that one day will be cold and the next will be warm enough to melt all the snow and muck and don't feel like cleaning my car that often....first world problems I know.

I will say it makes my grin extra big when I do step into the CTR each time. If I wasn't travelling for work though it would probably be my main source of transport.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
The stock Continental's aren't supposed to go below 40F if I'm not mistaken. That's where the 5C is coming from. Again, in the event this happens, let the tires rest 24 hours before driving.
It's 20F/-7C. If the tires are exposed to temps below that, you must warm them for 24 hours at 40F or greater.

For those outside the south/more temperate climes, definitely invest in a 2nd set of wheels and some good winter tires.

I can't imagine trying to get through even a mild Connecticut or Alberta (!) winter on MPSC2s. That's insanity.

Whoever is even thinking of installing winter tires lives in an area where it's under -7C MOST of the winter. If it only dips under that a few times, why on earth would someone consider buying winter tires. On top of that, most tire manufacturers do not recommend using summer tires below +5C as the rubber starts getting hard. Not one person has agreed with you. But you insist. Because you read something on a website that is certainly not run by scientists or engineers. You sound like someone that just refuses to admit that they're wrong, even when, you know, they are.
Bottom line: go ahead and drive your car in these temperatures with summers. I wouldn't.
My argument was never that people shouldn't buy winter tires - in fact, I was pretty clear that under 20F/-7C and in snow/ice, you should absolutely have winter tires.

My first post was merely trying to dispel someone's notion that their summer tires were squirrely in 40F dry weather and therefore they put on winter tires for more/better grip, which is not the case, as summers have superior performance in those conditions.

I don't think more than a couple of people have thoroughly read (and comprehended) any of my posts on the topic, haha.

Last edited:

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag

Well said boss.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Well in the province of British Columbia, if you drive out of lower mainland, on the highway you are required winter tires and possibly carry chain, or else you can get fine on certain highways, for me is all season all year round, really just my preference

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got my remote start with takeover installed by Mobile Systems LLC.

Just in time for this weather in Chicago to start acting up.

Now it’s time to save up for sound, exhaust, and air intake upgrades.
Sponsored