What are your complaints with the type R?

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
The TPMS tire pressure monitor system gives me PMS. The warning comes on, and the tire pressures are perfect. I calibrate, and it comes on again after days, or weeks. I don't know what the advantage of this system could possibly be, other than not dealing with individual tire pressure sensors. The audio of the sound system is bad. I'm not that picky on sound, but this system is that bad. I didn't bother to listen during my test drive. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Lastly, I'll run winter wheels/tires, which usually insures no snow will fall around here ( I love snow).
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The TPMS tire pressure monitor system gives me PMS. The warning comes on, and the tire pressures are perfect. I calibrate, and it comes on again after days, or weeks. I don't know what the advantage of this system could possibly be, other than not dealing with individual tire pressure sensors. The audio of the sound system is bad. I'm not that picky on sound, but this system is that bad. I didn't bother to listen during my test drive. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Lastly, I'll run winter wheels/tires, which usually insures no snow will fall around here ( I love snow).
Reset the TPMS and see if that helps?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
1. Bad Audio-no one with half an ear would think this factory sound was satisfactory. You would think Honda would have at least had someone tune it.
2. Infotainment system is laggy and intermittent. JUST when you relax and think it's going to be OK, BLAM! it hangs or black screens or doesn't see the attached device. Sometimes have to power car off and on to unhang it. Mine is not "ADB" hacked or anything like that. Carplay with dedicated phone in glove box 100% of the time.
3. Brake dust. Come on Honda, it's not like you didn't know the brakes shed compound so badly that if you drive 10 miles after washing the wheels they're dirty again. In a week they're completely covered in powder. My 370Z only had the slightest of brake pad dusting between washes.
4. Fake Alcantara everywhere. If you had to put in Alcantara, the least you could have done was to use the real thing.
5. Some people are bothered by the fake carbon fiber. Doesn't matter to me.
6. Thin tires-how much more would it have cost to put 35's on there? Maybe it's a handling issue.
7. As far as thin paint, it's a Honda. I've yet to see Honda paint last as long as it should.
8. Dented the day I picked it up. I had a dent in the upper right above rear passenger drivers side door. I didn't notice it until I washed it a few days later. Waiting for more issues before I take it in. Many have reported dents in various areas. I'm hesitant to use a glue stick to pull it out as I'm afraid the paint will pop off and leave the dent. (Honda paint).

Other than these issues, I love the car. For the price it's a good value, especially since I was thinking of a 911 in the 45-60 price range and guess what! No warranty! Nope, used is used, as they say.

To be fair, I did buy my 370 Sport Manual Touring used, but it only had 10K on it and had all original tires on it with hardly any tread wear. It was a miracle Godsend opportunity I couldn't pass up.

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
I actually found that the R wasn't the car for me at all... sold it a few months ago.
I liked it. I was proud to drive it. It was fast.
I didn't like the handling - it doesn't have torque steer but it doesn't have great steering weight/feel/feedback either.
I really hated the electronic intrusion on everything. I mean shut-the-Fu*&-up so I unhooked my seatbelt in my driveway doing 2MPH.
Sorry yes great "shifting" but it is in such a crappy spot. And eh the shifting isn't that great...
Sold as, promoted as, touted as, pushed as a "tear up the track" car and well it isn't bad but it isn't a raging animal either.
Yep I agree with others here "R" should mean Ridiculous - Scary - Wow that is really different.
And I'm a seasoned track-day junkie in several different cars.
Silly OEM wheels and tires.

Last - It falls in the too nice to trash category. If you really want a track car you will destroy what is a rather nice fairly expensive family hatchback. When you are done and total up the bills - you will have spent more time and money than if you bought an actual race car and still have a compromised setup.

Last edited:

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Infotainment: Laggy like a early 2000s tablet or something.
Tires: Stock tires are expensive and last ~10k miles average.
Exhaust: My co-worker has a veloster N and he would high rev his car every dang time.
Looks: Some people think I drive fast, reckless etc, or assume I am a man-child.
Higher anxiety: Worried about car all the time like parking in crowded/sketchy areas, or someone vandalizing it.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The paint makes me want to cry. A gentle breeze will chip it. Oh you looked at it too hard? Chip. Didn't realize you have to be a full time body man to have this car...

Bonus - my touch up paint skills improved drastically lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yes, I re-calibrate each time. That turns off the warning light, but doesn't tell me anything except to check and re-check my pressure.
Re-calibrate 3x in a row waiting 8-10 seconds between each re-calibration. That should put it in to reset it.

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Re-calibrate 3x in a row waiting 8-10 seconds between each re-calibration. That should put it in to reset it.
Well, it did it again! BUT, this time I picked up a NAIL! Second time in since new in June 2020. Bad luck with nails. Luckily I bought the mini-spare last month!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Well, it did it again! BUT, this time I picked up a NAIL! Second time in since new in June 2020. Bad luck with nails. Luckily I bought the mini-spare last month!
I picked up a nail a few weeks ago. Non-repairable so that wasn't fun. Hopefully your tire can be repaired.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
It is the same as asking what I don't like about my children. Nitpicks on the over riding thick cushion of LOVE!

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
The paint makes me want to cry. A gentle breeze will chip it. Oh you looked at it too hard? Chip. Didn't realize you have to be a full time body man to have this car...

Bonus - my touch up paint skills improved drastically lol
Oh yeah - I forgot about the horrible, horrible paint!

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
Here are the complaints that I have that stopped me from buying a R:

- The exhaust note is not good. This is important to me when buying a high performance car, it doesn't have to be obnoxiously loud but I want it to be exciting and put a smile on my face when I drive the car. It's something that adds to the driving experience every time that the car is driven, fast or slow.

- The wheels are way too big. I drive on gravel roads on a regular basis that would trash those wheels, I would have needed to factor in new tires and wheels immediately.

- The styling isn't for me. I would have stomached it if the rest of the car was good enough, but I prefer the subdued under the radar looks of the Si all day. (I know, it's all fuctionallllll)

- No heated seats, really?? My ND Miata and 500 Abarth both had heated seats and weighed nothing. They can't even use the excuse 'to save weight', this was just Honda nickle-and-diming their customers.

I'm typing this out on the off chance that Honda actually reads this. I could have afforded a Type R when I was shopping around for sedans and hatches and choose not to, it just isn't a compelling sale for me. If it had a better exhaust note (even including with an aftermarket exhaust) and more street friendly wheels, I may have talked myself into one. I considered the Veloster N, but the interior felt horribly cheap. I've owned the current gen GTI and WRX also. I 'settled' on the Si because it checked all the boxes of what I was looking for other than exhaust note, but I can forgive that at its price point because everything else is so good. It seems like the strong point of the R is the handling but the Si has way more than enough grip for any turn on the street.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
Alcantara interior and no trunk button from the inside

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Here are the complaints that I have that stopped me from buying a R:

- The exhaust note is not good. This is important to me when buying a high performance car, it doesn't have to be obnoxiously loud but I want it to be exciting and put a smile on my face when I drive the car. It's something that adds to the driving experience every time that the car is driven, fast or slow.

- The wheels are way too big. I drive on gravel roads on a regular basis that would trash those wheels, I would have needed to factor in new tires and wheels immediately.

- The styling isn't for me. I would have stomached it if the rest of the car was good enough, but I prefer the subdued under the radar looks of the Si all day. (I know, it's all fuctionallllll)

- No heated seats, really?? My ND Miata and 500 Abarth both had heated seats and weighed nothing. They can't even use the excuse 'to save weight', this was just Honda nickle-and-diming their customers.

I'm typing this out on the off chance that Honda actually reads this. I could have afforded a Type R when I was shopping around for sedans and hatches and choose not to, it just isn't a compelling sale for me. If it had a better exhaust note (even including with an aftermarket exhaust) and more street friendly wheels, I may have talked myself into one. I considered the Veloster N, but the interior felt horribly cheap. I've owned the current gen GTI and WRX also. I 'settled' on the Si because it checked all the boxes of what I was looking for other than exhaust note, but I can forgive that at its price point because everything else is so good. It seems like the strong point of the R is the handling but the Si has way more than enough grip for any turn on the street.
I love when people justify why they didn't buy a Type-R and instead bought a lower trim Civic. Imagine complaining about something you don't own.
Sponsored