Are the Type R seats hurting your back?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me, the seats are great and have great lumbar support, but I am tall and skinny, especially in the midsection (6'3", 175, 32" waist), so probably fit differently in the seats than others who have had issues.
I'm average sized (I think? Ever since I started getting more physically active I've managed to lose even more weight I didn't have to begin with) and I just don't feel like the adjustability is the greatest for my body. 5'10 123 LBS, 29" waist. Either feel like I'm too far away or too close - where I have it now is the only position where it feels like it's in the middle.
Sponsored

AlexCaro

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R, LancerX, Yamaha
Country flag
Since I'm having problems with my back, it's always hard to find a comfortable seat to reduce the pain. I even wanted to buy new car seats. I tried massage seat covet, but it didn't help. My therapist suggested getting a wedge-shaped pillow. At first, it was hard to get used to it, but I found some useful tricks. I even tried to use it in the car. It was pretty comfortable for the back, but the problem was that the pillow had no fasteners and constantly slipped away. Now I'm thinking about ordering a pillow with the sizes I need for my car.

Even my cat Siri loves to sleep on this pillow, so I had to buy one more for her:D

Honda Civic 10th gen Are the Type R seats hurting your back? Siri

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Now that I have some long drives completed of 5 to 7 hours, I can happily report no back problems. I too was concerned about the lack of lumbar support. I made sure to bring an extra lumbar cushion. I did discover that my back was most comfortable with the seat back in a relatively straight up position, which keeps my spine straighter (like mom used to tell us). I'm 65 and in good shape for my age I guess. (now about those sticky tires, and my 2 flats in 3 months).

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
just did a 11hr drive round trip this past weekend and no back issues, so coming from the '15 Si the seats would get uncomfortable after 3-4hrs so im happy with the R seats.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i'm totally average in every way and slim to boot so I have no back problems to begin with. My wife however has a glass back and we took a 2 hour trip going and 2 hour returning and she never complained (except getting in and out).
To answer the question directly I have never experienced any lumbar issues in my CTR,

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
I'm 6 foot 1 and fairly hefty and the seats dont bother me too much at all. Mainly the sides squeeze me a little bit but that just means it's time to hit the gym lol.

I had to borrow my mom's Denali XL while my car was in the shop and that thing caused me serious back pain. After 5 min of driving it was pretty excruciating

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At almost 60 y/o and being a pretty big guy, 2...many lbs. I have minor lower back pain that feels much better after a drive in my R.

On multi-hour drives they still feel good and maybe it’s that I’m being hugged evenly all over without pressure in one or several spots compared to most.

Getting is pretty easy. Sometimes trunk junk is a little tough to haul over the bolster.
Luckily Honda put a grab handle and top seat opening hand grab area that do you absolutely no good for elevating yourself before both feets is planted. The plant, lift, hover, slide method worlds without door pressure. I ordered a Type R logo pull strap that I may bolt to the back of grab handle mount to make dismount (lowered 1” too) easier.

Zarbarian

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Special Edition
Country flag
Before I bought a CTR, I kept hearing here and in car reviews how wonderful and comfortable the seats are. After purchase, I agree that the seats look and feel great and does a wonderful job of holding me in one place, but for me, they caused pain every time I drove because they don't provide much lumber support.

I have had a lumber support pillow thinggie in a few cars and was planning to use one of them in the CTR . . . . until I realized that they don't fit the CTR seats because (i) the bolstering is pretty aggressive in this car such that the rubber band that secure these things to the seats would push the pillows out of place (i.e., off the backrest), and (ii) these seats are one piece as you know, and therefore mounting methods involving the separation of the headrests from the rest of the seats are not available.

Finally, I found and bought this lumber support memory form back pillow.

IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_8489.JPG

This lumber cushion is black, so it matches the seats and the rest of the interior, it fits the backrest and the bolsters perfectly (lays flat on the backrest), and the straps go through the aluminum holes in the seats and buckle together. We can disagree on the aesthetics but it is the best solution I have found thus far.

If you have been suffering from backache due to lack of lumber support in your Type R, you may want to try this out. I am very happy with it.
Thank you for this! I just bought a CTR SE less than a month ago and the seats had little lumbar support for daily driving. I found this thread and ordered the recommended lumbar cushion. Just installed it tonight and immediately I noticed the difference. Can’t thank you enough!! It fits perfectly and looks great as you showed! Highly recommended!! (I joined this forum just to post this thanks!!)

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
This is the first car I've owned where my wife actually finds the seats comfy. Even my fancy-schmancy Audi had seats that didn't measure up to her standards, massage feature be damned! But these, she likes.

atrainn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I've only had my R a few days but so far I'm shocked how comfortable the seats are. I have a terrible back (torn L5-S1 and arthritis in my upper back), on my 7 hour drive home I felt great.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
To the OP,
I was wondering if these cushion backs will help for short drivers. I find that the thigh area is covered fully by the seat, making it sometimes a little harder to push the clutch down as my bend in my knee has To push a little against the bottom seat cushion.

Was thinking that this seat back cushion can push the driver a little bit forward and allow some room between the knee bend and the bottom seat cushion

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Geez all these guys complaining about lumbar support and im over here with my lats resting on the side bolsters having to push myself into the seat imitating bad posture. ?

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Geez all these guys complaining about lumbar support and im over here with my lats resting on the side bolsters having to push myself into the seat imitating bad posture. ?
I got stuff resting on the bolsters, lower than lats but rhymes. ?

CJizzle_FK8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Overall the fk8 seats are super comfy. But when I lay back I can literally fall asleep on these bad boys. Great head support. I highly recommend
Honda Civic 10th gen Are the Type R seats hurting your back? 20211127_164947
Sponsored